1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

A.V.A. aka Alliance of Valiant Arms contains a rootkit.

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by SilentReaper(SR), Feb 17, 2012.

1. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
  3. Garrett

Garrett New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:30129880
    If its part of GameGuard, there's no question about it, it MUST be installed.

It only activates when running the required game. It prevents botting, game-hooks, and other types of cheating and hacking.

http://global.nprotect.com/GGP_download/index.php
    http://forums.ijji.com/showthread.php?t=163563 <- AVG is an inferior POS. Avast! is the best Free while the best paid, with extreme loathsomeness, is Symantec Norton.

While Key-Loggers have a terrible history, people need to realize that with games developing, the requirements will have to meed to exceed the recommended if you want to get the best game-play experience. My brother who's recently returned to A.V.A. has not detected the key-logger, no changes to his PC, no 'drain of memory or resources', nothing at all. Its kept in pretty tip-top shape with the exception that the Hard Drive seriously needs a spring cleaning of files.

If people seem to complain a lot about it, it does raise red flags. The game forums that are being questioned about it, not receiving any replies certainly doesn't help. Even worse is people who post messages about how to remove the 'viruses' end up getting banned. *Check AVA forums* The Suggestion Thread on the Steam Forums has been buried.

I don't see it in that negative light, while the risks are certainly...'shocking', any sane company that wishes to stay in business will make all efforts to keep sensitive information secure. If not there's a little Contact Us button where you can direct your threats, letter bombs and notes from your Lawyer. Other than that...if its bothering you so much, it makes me wonder if you found the 'kit' via your insane MO of keeping everything under check *Paranoid?*, attempting to use some sort of new, not yet detected hack, or a new reason to b✿✿✿✿ and moan about something that isn't as bad as its light as grown to be.

Hell, last key-logger I detected on my laptop was an exploit for an Application. If you KNOW what the 'virus' is going to do, why cry? Don't like it? Don't use it. Don't want the nGuard? Don't play A.V.A. You gotta compromise somewhere.
  4. jameless

jameless Guru Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19765576
    I think you may have missed his point. We don't know precisely what it is grabbing. Although it may be designed for admirable purposes, that doesn't mean it can't be exploited to redirect that captured info elsewhere against the company's desires. The OP is simply making people aware of it so that people can make their own decision, as you similarly stated, if you didn't know about it and don't trust it, now you are informed and can do as you choose..
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

i'm personally opposed of any rootkit, for any rootkit poses a security risk. Remember the poor job that Sony did? millions of PC's became part of the botnet.

Also, they invade/break the security of their clients, only for their own interest.

tbh, there should be laws about it, with a fine of 5000,- per PC breached. that would end this crap.
  6. daemon

daemon Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26049181
    Just use SAM if you want the item