1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accidentally bought hijacked items, admins please read

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Im_The_Devil, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:45171937
    Bought 4 Unusual on steam market that turned out to be hijacked items from Pink Taco's account http://steamcommunity.com/id/pink_taco/

Here is what happened:

I was browsing the Steam Community Marketplace trying to spend my steam wallet funds on some unusual(s). I found 4 listings that were rather good deals, and I proceeded to check the seller's profile to verify whether these are duped and/or scammer profiles.

Unfortunately, the seller's account was private and their inventory was also private. I proceeded to search the seller's profile on bp.tf, steamrep, and tf2outpost to find any traces of possible scamming activity. Their steamrep came back clean and every other site came back clean as well. Knowing that many seller has a private profile when they list their unusual/item to sell on the steam market, I decided to take the small risk and buy all 4 of the unusual.

Another factor that lead me to buy them was the price. The prices were not too low to raise any suspicion by me, and therefore I assumed that the person who was selling these 4 unusual did not have much experience with trading. That further lead me to assume or convince myself that the seller wants quick steam funds for them.

I apologize to the TF2 trading community for my indecent actions.
    I know what I did was wrong, and learned that I should not buy any items on private profiles even if it's on the steam community market.

I did not have any contact with the hijacker, whatsoever, other than purchasing the items through steam market. My reason for why I bought these 4 unusual was, by experience, a large amount of legitimate sellers on the steam market had private profiles. That's why the private profile did not throw up a immediate red flag.
    As you may already know, those private profiles turned out to be an alt of pink taco's hijacker.

I also apologize if this topic does not relate to the forum that this is posted on.
    The term "general" by me includes topic like these. I do apologize in advance. I do not know a better place to report this than here.

Proof/Screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    You made a mistake, and a big one at that. It's brave of you to come out like this and admit to this, I applaud you for that. We're here to educate people on things like this, it's a good thing you came here.

I have to ask though, why did you think it was a good idea to buy these items? They come from private accounts and are ridiculously low. That should be a massive red flag right there. You said that private accounts are common, maybe so, but at such a low price you'd have to be somewhat suspicious.
  3. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil New User

Steam:
    why did you think it was a good idea to buy these items?
    It was a judgement call. Risk and benefit analysis. There is no way to check item history for hats listed on community marketplace; therefore difficult to tell where it is from.
    They come from private accounts and are ridiculously low
    Yes. Private accounts are common. It is a risk to buy from private account sellers on community market, I understand that. As for the price, the price was low but no ridiculously low from what I see. I have bought in the past a Searing Trilby for $73 on community market and there is currently a Burning Tyrannus for $345, both to be legitimate sellers.
  4. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    On the market, the average price for a burning hat was/is roughly $170: http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2trade/comments/1uqah8/psa_tf2_unusual_sale_prices_on_the_steam_market/

Selling multiple burning unusuals and you thought they didn't have experience with trading? Newbie traders do not suddenly show up selling 3 burning hats. :(

Anyway-- we don't have good policies on Steam market buying from bad accounts... looks like we're going to need to work with Valve and our partners to come up with sane policies for this.

Bottom line, senior traders should really be using the same guidelines they use for cash trades-- don't buy high-value hats from private accounts. It's the only way to avoid looking like you are working with those hijackers/scammers to launder their hats.

A great deal is never an excuse-- in fact, it is one of the warning signs you're sharking or helping scammers.
  5. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil New User

Steam:

On the market, the average price for a burning hat was/is roughly $170:
    That average is skewed toward the high end because what I bought was 4 very low tier hats. The average of $170 takes into account the average of all burning effect sold.

Other than that, I agree with you, Mattie.
    Your logic that newbie traders rarely ever show up with 3 burning hats at once on the steam market is true, I agree.

As for helping scammers/hijackors, those 4 unusual are the only ones in my backpack that is from a hijacker. All my other items are not bought directly from the hands of a hijacker/scammer.
    It was a ill taken risk by me, and I learned I should be far more cautious next time when I buy something on steam market, steam trade, or paypal.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  6. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil New User

Steam:
    "person who was selling these 4 unusual did not have much experience in trading"
    This was an assumption by me when I looked at their tf2outpost profile, the seller did not have any previous trades.
    A good deal does not necessarily mean it is a warning sign of a sharker. If the deal is mutually agreed upon, there is nothing wrong with it.
  7. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    The good thing here is they were purchased on the steam market which means if Valve finds it an issue the funds will be refunded if it was infact from a stolen account or whatever. You checked the person out they came back ok it is what it is so go on with life.
    I'll tell you this - when I plan on stopping with TF2 I'll likely sell my Unusuals for a very very low amount or give them away as I don't consider them a major thing to worry about. If someone gets a hell of a deal from me then I would hope they go on with life and do a few back flips to celebrate.

I sold some keys yesterday for way less than what the going value is on the black key market - the guy was happy, I was happy - even more so as I turned around and purchased a large pep pizza with the funds :D

I don't care what posted amounts/values or prices that are floating around the internet..if I feel I want to trade something for little to nothing then that is my choice.
    SIVARTZ likes this.
  8. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    "If the deal is mutually agreed upon" but one person comes out way, way ahead out of ignorance of the other party-- that's a very common definition of a shark. It's not the "mutually agreed upon part" that matters for sharking (though that does clear someone of accusations of scamming), but sharking is often about whether you preyed upon the price ignorance of the other (especially bad if done through deceitful practices).

Buying stuff on the market won't ever be considered a shark (they put it up for sale on a marketplace where price recommendations are provided for you), but I just wanted to be sure you understood that the definition you have above is incorrect with regards to sharking (at least in my mind and many others). SteamRep, of course, doesn't have any policies on sharking-- we have our hands full on scammers.

I disagree-- the average is skewed, if anything, towards the mid/low tier hats because people do not sell high tier burning hats on the market due to the maximum value cap. That being said, I'd have to agree those hats wouldn't be bringing up the average very often even if they typically sell higher than you bought them for.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  9. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    No, they did not come back "okay"-- they came back as shady-looking accounts with no game time or server references on Google, etc. Just because scammer alts are not marked on SR does not mean they are "ok".

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198111882137
    http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198111882137
    https://www.google.com/#q=STEAM_0:1:75808204

This kind of result should make anyone wary, and a senior trader would know to avoid buying from an account like that. If they were offering a great deal via items, you'd know to avoid it because you'd be feeding an obvious scammer alt.

Just don't do it with a private backpack or from a new alt you freshly created to be sneaky, or you will look very much like a scammer alt or hijacker account.

HD, of course you're welcome to sell whatever you want at whatever price you want. Yet, it should absolutely set off red flags if someone sees a too-good-to-be-true deal. That's when you do your extra homework, just as you would if someone walked up to you on the street and offered to give you a new car for $45.
  10. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Aww I saw where he checked them out and they were ok and went with that - that would mean he stands to be refunded from Valve if they find something was wrong - and at this point I suggest he report it to Valve rather than sit on here talking about it trying to make himself feel better about the outcome.

I'd love a new car for $45 - likely full of sawdust but meh at least it be fun for a few hours.
  11. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil New User

Steam:

I assumed all sales were final; therefore, didn't know that Valve could refund steam wallet funds when buyers buys fraudulent items on steam market.

Thank you HD, you made my day. Now Pink Taco could have his unusuals back (When he has his account back from the hijackor) and I could have my steam wallet funds refunded ^.^
    I'll report it to valve as soon as I come home from college later today.

And yes, I was like all depressed when I found out the origins of the 4 unusual I bought. You are right, I was trying to make myself feel better.
  12. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    I'm not sure Valve will actually refund any of that transaction. A support ticket probably can't hurt, though.
  13. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil New User

Steam:
    Any words from the real Pink Taco?
  14. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    We've heard from him indirectly. He's working with Steam Support to recover his account.
  15. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    I don't see why they couldn't or wouldn't if the facts were in place and considering the money is always in their hands at this point and can't be withdrawn.

And for some reason I'm now seeing the rest of the first post from OP that apparently didn't show up when I first clicked on the thread so no wonder I looked like a dumbass. I believe this weather software/hobby I'm messing with has screwed up my firefox. :|
  16. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil New User

Steam:

The steam funds that I've used to buy the 4 unusual are most likely to be used by the scammer already. Given that premises, If valve were to refund me the steam funds that I've used for the 4 unusual and send the 4 unusual back to Pink Taco's account, it would be creating about $306 in steam funds out of thin air.
  17. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil New User

Steam:

I've already created a steam support ticket with all the evidence and screenshots. We'll see... ^^
  18. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Right but keep in mind Valve controls everything that is purchased by those funds so will be interesting to see what they pull as in purchased games, items and so on. Valve can make steam funds out of thin air - they own the wallet system.
  19. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil New User

Steam:
    Logically speaking, the hacker most likely bought keys on community market with those steam funds and sold them for Paypal or something similar.
    oh, I know valve could make steam funds out of thin air. I'm not questioning whether they're able to or not, I'm questioning whether they're willing or not.
    Anyways, HD. You give me hope that they will :p
  20. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    They simply turn back any purchases done by it. money goes back and that will be it. They cannot sustain any purchased games for those are often not valve games, and go with a fee to the owners of those games. And valve never pays some from their own pockets.