1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Account Hijacking

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Defend, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defend

Defend New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:26840426
    After hearing so much about peoples accounts being Hijacked and their items/games stolen, I was wondering how you would go about protecting yourself from such things happening as I want to try to protect myself as much as possible.

I will be greatful for any help you can give.

-Defend
  2. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Don't click on suspicious links, have SteamGuard enabled, don't give out your account name or password.

Make sure you have good security on your email and passwords. Don't make them easy to figure out or hack. Good anti-virus helps too.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    especially that, and other anti-spyware solutions. Oh, the Microsoft thing is NOT a "good" antivirus, for its not intended for that. I recommend Avast (free) or Eset smart security (paid). No, not AVG, have seen too many computers with it on and still infected. I'm reasonably okish with Symantec/norton IS / 360. Not so much with McAfee anymore, they used to be very good, but lately they are dropping the ball.
  4. Skipper

Skipper Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:22238402
    If you have gmail. Turn on 2 step verification. It's really useful. Hook your phone up to your account and you have to present a code that is sent to your phone to be able to login into your email.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Well, I've been hearing from several hijacked over the past months that their gmail got compromised regardless of the 2-step verification.

I Advise next to 2-step verification to obscure it. How? well, make a NEW gmail account with a very long random letters/numbers name:

example: [email protected]
    with a equally difficult password....

and register to that your steam account, and never send any email with it, or recieve other then from Steam...

ofcourse I advice to record both the mail address and password...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.