1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Adding a pending/open cases counter a person's SR page

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Nobel, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Nobel

Nobel New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42192766
    Being as there is a large back up of cases pending review, marks on SteamRep are delayed. What I think is critically missing for users who are not familiar with how to use SR's data base is how foreign/hidden the number of open reports are on a user. I think that a counter or clickable button "CHECK TO SEE IF THIS USER HAS BEEN REPORTED TO SR" or "NUMBER OF PENDING SCAMMER REPORTS = X"

As of right now, people have to know to look below at the quick links and click on "SR: 765xxxxxxxxxx"
    which I believe is not an effective way at showing relevant information BEFORE a trade occurs.

To a user who doesnt know how to use the quick links effectively, all they will see is (an example of a WH impersonator bot):

[​IMG]
    Notice how new user will only go off of the shield and "no special reputation" status. Experienced users know that the shield should be GREEN.

BUT what they should really be seeing is....

[​IMG]

=========================
    tl:dr
    The number of open reports on a user should be more apparent. Either an automatic displaying counter, and/or clickable icon should be added to make it clear where to view pending reports.

I would also not be against an auto SR caution when a user has 3-5 open reports. Also, on the scam forums, it would be interesting if a flag button could be used if a user is going on a scamming spree (ie, 3 reports in an hour) I can see problems with those, but I'd be up to discuss.
  2. Nobel

Nobel New User

Steam:
    Also in this case of WHbot Impersonation and other high profile users, could an automatic caution be applied for accounts matching the user name and a message be displayed, ie "Be sure you are trading with the Green shield, verified TF2WH bot/MM/Admin/mod." I can see problem with character identification, etc. but its a thought.[/B]
  3. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

afaik, tf2wh bots don't have a green shield, only a note in public notes that they are such.

there is no link between the forum and the site that could facilitate such. The automation required to count reports would not really work also.

The only thing that really would work is a more obvious link for "check also reports on forum" right under the badge I'd say.
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I've added a message on top. was bout time to change the note again anyway.
  5. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    o_O
    I did not even know about this search method.
    It would be very helpful if you had a message saying "Check Reports" right under the shield or something more noticeable.
  6. Nobel

Nobel New User

Steam:
    Awesome thank you. Meant to say green text rather than shield. I think that the format of the SR profile page coudl be improved to reflect the SR: 765xxxxxx, perhaps moving to to right under the shield, making it BIG, Bold and colorful.

Its a shame that the two sites cannot be linked in that way. I'm not familiar with how SR forums are linked to the SR site, but in regards to
    Is there no possible way to implement this? I'm probably(definitely) talking out my butt, but could some sort of hidden value be logged on the SR forums if a user is "flagged" that the SR site could take note of?

Perhaps a new "flag" button on the SR Rep Profile could be implemented where a user would first report to SR forums then go to the SR profile and "Flag" +link their report. Then if 2-3 users with linked reports all flag the same SR profile, a yellow boarder/flag/caution, etc is TEMP applied. I know its a lot of coding and more things for the over worked staff to do, but it would be an interesting feature imo.
  7. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34050552
    I don't believe that should be added as a person can just get mad at someone for X reason and auto caution that user for nothing. Even if the reports were invalid.
    Melkor likes this.
  8. Nobel

Nobel New User

Steam:
    Yea, thats what I meant by "problems". Reporting abuse is a factor that must be considered and remedied somehow, maybe by restricting flags to SR profiles that have logged in through steam, or some other method like if you abuse this feature its a perma ban, or having it be heavily moderated (idk).
  9. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

in order for a SR lookup to have a count, a search on the forum must be done, and even the MOST SIMPLE solution would be calling the number of results (which could be like 10 in 2-3 threads).

The problems become then pretty big:
    - Each profile page lookup does a search on the forum, Forum searches are quite costly (in usage of the server, search queries, etc). I don't think the forum would be able to cope.
    - If the result is a person that REPORTED several scammers, this would give a wrong image on that person. (for their ID blocks are mandatory on the forum threads naming victim/reporter, to make it more easy to find other reports by same person, and be able to find victims when a appeal is done so the scammer can pay back etc)
    - The forum is NOT on the same server as SR is.
    - Creating code and usage on SR server for such to do such "counter", is probably too much. I already have had a lot of discussions with Mattie with idea's that couldn't be done, for they are costing too much in terms of server usage. Some are easy, and don't affect much, others require a lot of work and aren't worth it and rated as "nice to have but thats it", and others are worth it but not feasible for the load.

Mattie is working currently on several things to aid the admins that are pretty hard needed for us for us to be able to do our work way faster with a report/appeal.

The addition of a link on the profile or move of it with a nice button that it stands out as a additional way for ppl to check them out is a good one. Full integration is too much work, and too much load on both sides.
  10. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    does a search of the forum need to be of the body too or can it just scan subject lines? if it can scan subject lines and ONLY in limited folders that would eliviate the problem and reduce the stress significantly but since I dont run the software here I dont know how its configured.
  11. mittensthekitten

mittensthekitten Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:7857664
    I think this would be a good feature but as DataStorm pointed out it would be hard to implement.