1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Archived Appeal Review for 76561198080185498 (Northern3D)

Discussion in 'Archived Appeals' started by YellaBanana, Jun 4, 2018.

1. YellaBanana

YellaBanana Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:59959885
    Appeal Review Request
    Reminder: Appeal reviews are not appeals!

Reason for Appeal Review: The appeals admin had a clear or documented conflict of interest when handling my case
    Past Appeal: https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/appeal-76561198080185498-notherin-sr-caution.118596/

Steam profile: 76561198080185498 (Northern3D)

Make your case:
    "You Are The One" had completely failed to understand the reason the appeal was made. This was not attempting to remove my caution tag, this was to unlist the account that was not mine as an Alt.

While I did make a mistake in the way the appeal was produced, this was not a Caution tag appeal, and the admin treated it as such, even when I specifically said it was not appealing the Caution tag.

Every actual Caution tag appeal I made was denied based on the tag appeal being Caution, even when I specifically said it was appealing the tag, not the Caution tag.

It's been nearly three years and he's been wrong the entire time. [This] was not appealing the Caution tag, and yet every actual Caution tag appeal was denied based on that.

You Are The One was completely incorrect in their judgement.

Side note, I was 12 when the first thread was made. I'm 16 now.​

Attached Files:

2. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    It looks to me like the alt account in question was, in fact, removed from your profile on 26 December 2017 because of your appeal.

As @You Are The One said, that account's owner can appeal on their own. By policy, appeals must be submitted by the owner of the account, not someone acting on their behalf. That's why it still has a caution tag.

Is there something I'm missing?
  3. YellaBanana

Steam:
    Because of clearing up that this wasn't my alt, I could no longer create an appeal for my caution tag.
  4. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    The appeal for your original CAUTION tag and its corresponding scam report was already addressed in an appeal and denied. Relevant comments in bold here:
    Under what grounds are you requesting a second appeal for it?
  5. YellaBanana

Steam:
    He reviewed the wrong appeal. This wasn't appealing the Caution tag. It was saying that it wasn't my alt. He says himself, 'deny your caution request' when it wasn;t a caution request. He was wrong.
  6. YellaBanana

Steam:
    And again, this isn't a request for a 'second appeal', this wasn't a caution appeal
  7. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    By policy, the alt would've needed to appeal their tag and connection to you from their own account, not from your account. So technically he shouldn't have even honored that request, strictly speaking, and only reviewed whether you had grounds to appeal the caution, but the admin must've felt there was enough leeway to remove the alt anyway if he unlinked it anyway. Nonetheless, the admin reviewed both, and giving you a more favorable outcome than straight-up denying isn't grounds for voiding their appeal response, barring them from your case, and giving you another shot.

Furthermore, you don't get separate appeals for "not my alt" and "change of heart"/"didn't do it" pleas. You pick one when you first appeal, and stick with it. When asked directly what you were contesting, you responded
    to which the admin replied
    I see no reason why that is insufficient, especially given the lack of effort you put forth. And there's no gross misconduct in his response either. Just because the alt was ultimately unlinked per your request - whether or not it should have been - doesn't mean you're entitled to an extra appeal.
  8. YellaBanana

Steam:
    If he didn't believe that was the caution tag appeal, why would he post that on the alt tag removal request? I also fail to understand how I can't appeal both an incorrect alt tag and a caution request separately. And saying I give a 'lack of effort' is unfair considering I've been trying to get this tag appealed for literal years.
  9. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    By policy, you get one appeal. That's it. One per person. Generally, you are either marked for a scam report filed against you, or you inherit a tag from an alt which was reported. Then, you either dispute the report itself, or that the linked account was ever you. If you prove either of those, then you've effectively proven your innocence and the tag gets removed. But you don't get to turn around and change your appeal type once you get an outcome you disagree with.

You couldn't even be bothered write up a coherent argument for your case or why you should be untagged, leaving him to try and figure out what you were trying to say. Then you abandoned the appeal, so the admin made a decision without you in order to move onto someone else.

It's unusual for the admin to have taken your request to remove an alt into consideration, without that account appealing, and he in particular is pretty by the books, so he must've felt compelling evidence that you're different people. But since the original scam report was made against this account you're speaking to me from now, not against the alt, appealing the offense was technically the only thing you had grounds to dispute. That part of appeal procedure was public when you appealed, you can read about it here.

I'll admit it's a little outside policy (and out of character) for him to have given any consideration to your alt to begin with, seeing the report was directly against you, but he clearly also addresses your original offense. Him having given you extra attention like that doesn't warrant yet another appeal, because your case was already addressed. This appeal review policy is for people who didn't even get that first chance for one reason or another, not to nitpick details of the admin's decision because you don't like the outcome. In order to have an appeal review granted, you must demonstrate that your case was mishandled to a point where you couldn't fairly appeal in the first place.
  10. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    Having taken some time to give your argument some serious consideration, I am still going to decline your appeal review.

I will concede that You Are The One likely broke policy when handling your appeal - specifically that only the owner of an account may appeal any given decision against it - but because it was at your own request, and doesn't give any indication of otherwise disadvantageously unfair treatment, it doesn't justify authorizing a re-appeal. It's out of character for him, and there weren't a lot of notes on why he did this, but seeing how out of character that is for this particular admin he may well have had a reason. Nevertheless, You Are The One did ultimately review your case to see if you had grounds for removing the tag, in addition to unlinking the alt.

The root of your issue is that you failed to read or understand the objectives of an appeal, or other appeal policies, to formulate the argument you would've wanted to make in hopes of a better outlook. That in itself is not a reason to grant you a second appeal, and were I to grant this, I'd be setting a precedent where the majority of tagged scammers receive 2 appeals. It's fairly common for scammers to make appeals with minimal effort and not read the guidelines; usually they're given some benefit of doubt and a chance to repair anything they missed, if it doesn't otherwise reflect badly on their character. Therefore, I cannot justify making an exception for you.

You had a fair chance to appeal, and it didn't end the way you wanted. There is nothing more we can do for you. Sorry.