1. Item verification is always, 100% a SCAM! Glitched, illegal, or otherwise unsafe items don't exist.
    If you're here for an admin's "trade assistance", read this immediately or you will lose your items!!!

Pending: Partner backpack.tf

Discussion in 'Community Applications' started by Teeny Tiny Cat, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Teeny Tiny Cat

Teeny Tiny Cat Backpack.tf admin Partner Community Friend Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:46722104
    Links:

Name of your community: backpack.tf
    Please provide a link to your community's website (if applicable):
    Please link your community's Sourcebans or ban/report forum:
    Please provide a link to your community's stats page, hlstatsx or GameMe (if applicable).:

Staff and groups:

Link to PUBLIC Steam group:
    Link to admin-only Steam group:
    Link to admins not in admin-only group:
    All staff including owners are in the above group.
    SteamRep integration:

Do you run Trade Servers? Please list the URL/IP of each server in your community that runs the SteamRep plugin and how many days each has been running it.
    We do not run servers.​
    Do you run a trade-related web application or community?
    List the URLs of the sites that run the SteamRep Web API and how many days each has been utilizing the API to block or mark scammers.

https://backpack.tf/
    I can't say how long it's been running in days, I believe brad has been using it basically since the beginning - years.​
    Have you made any modifications or changes to the SteamRep plugin or are you running an unofficial plugin? If so, please explain.

Tell us about your community:

What are your community's policies on scamming & scamming-related activities

We have a zero tolerance policy on any type of scamming, as long as proper evidence is provided.

The sheer number of active users we have on our site, plus the presence of regular suggesters who check item histories for the purpose of suggestions means that a significant number of scams as well as potential scammer alts are reported to us.

Our guides for background checks and reporting can be found here, which contain the information available to users on how we handle scam reports:
    https://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/53663-guide-for-reporting-on-the-main-site/
    https://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/29027-guide-for-background-checks/

Why does your community wish to exchange banners and become a Friend of SteamRep:
    The only real reason we never applied as SR partners in the past was due to brad's reluctance for us to be too involved in scam reports. Prior to the development of more trading features (which was before my time) the site had significantly less reports of that type, and the moderators were all hired as price mods with little experience or knowledge to handle them.

The site now is very different, with different owners. We have dedicated report moderators with no responsibility for the pricing side who are overseen by administrators - myself and -».•´Woifilicious`•.«-

We've also been making more of an effort to work collaboratively with other communities and with steamrep, and I believe becoming a partner community will be beneficial for all of us. We still have some work to do in getting into the habit of forwarding reports on to steamrep, and I think becoming more involved in the community in general will help with that.​

Please provide additional details about your community such as how it came to be, how long it has been around, the primary goals of it, what it does, etc.
    The scope of backpack.tf has grown enormously since brad initially applied to be a friend community back in 2012. The pricing and suggestion side is alive and well, in addition to being a huge hub for trading via classifieds and our forums. We have a very active community and handle 100+ reports daily, a proportion of which are scam reports.

Notes:

You already have a banner for us but it's not the best so I'll attach the new one Jesse made:

View attachment 591079

"Please link your community's Sourcebans or ban/report forum:" We have no sourcebans (no servers) and do not handle reports via our forums. This field requires a link so I have included a screenshot of an example of our basic user report form (complete with delightful paint skills, before we lose it forever.) We also have administrative messaging/threads available which we often utilise to request additional information. We handle appeals via our issue tracker which can be found here: https://backpack.tf/issues

Our appeals are not public, but as far as I'm aware this is not a strictly necessary requirement, as outpost tickets/appeals are also private. If it was deemed necessary we could potentially make appeals public, though due to the nature of issue tracker all information would be public - we cannot have certain replies/content private only, and I would hesitate to require users to provide sensitive information to anyone and everyone who cares to read.

Lava has permitted me to submit this on behalf of our site owners, geel and jessecar. One of the owners will post in here when they have a second to approve the application.

Happy to answer any questions from SR staff, other community staff or users to the best of my ability.​

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  2. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    hey, best of luck with your application
    I have some concerns regarding your community, I'd like to know if you have any planned changes regarding them
    1. in some cases, when a user is banned, evidence proving that is usually hosted on external websites, which can go down at any time, and already many of them are not accessible
    2. evidence on user's profile is sometimes provided with little to no context regarding the ban
    3. a banned user page sometimes include almost no useful information at all, sometimes as little as "scammer", "scammer alt" or "repeated sharking", and on many cases no evidence is provided (external or not)

how do you plan to address this as a partner community?
  3. Teeny Tiny Cat

Steam:
    We save any picture evidence ourselves now, so nothing gets lost. This is an issue only with very old bans from before we had dedicated report moderators or any real system for handling reports.
    Proof is generally private and available to other community staff. We don't feel the need to include all proof publicly. We have made efforts in the last couple of years to make ban reasons clear and identify who is safe to trade with or not according to our rules.
    As mentioned above, evidence is not public in ban reasons, as is the case on many sites such as tf2outpost (who are also partners.) It is available to community staff members whenever they need it.
    schmed likes this.
  4. Jessecar96

Jessecar96 Owns websites Friend Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:25578691
    I am the current co-owner of Backpack.tf and approve this application on my behalf.
    Teeny Tiny Cat likes this.
  5. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    So sorry about your initial issues submitting it. I thought I had them all sorted out by the time the form went live, but I guess nobody could submit and the formatting got all messed up. They should be fixed now, thanks for your patience.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating, SteamRep Friend Members, SteamRep Partner Members).**
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating, SteamRep Partner Members).**
  6. Teeny Tiny Cat

Steam:
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  7. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    After discussing your application internally, having your reports and appeals private may be an issue. Normally when issuing a tag, we link public reports from SteamRep profiles so the community knows exactly what the tag was for, can review evidence (where applicable), has less reason to question the tag, and knows what to expect from the scammer.

I understand you have some other types of private data in tickets, and differentiating tickets at this stage may not be a trivial coding task for an application as old as Backpack.tf. In the interest of transparency, would it be possible to provide full screenshots of your reports and denied appeals in public profile notes for each tag? At least until you figure out the tickets? Do you have any alternative plans to meet this requirement?
  8. Teeny Tiny Cat

Steam:
    I understand the concern, it's important to have transparency with steamrep tags so our systems being entirely private is a bit of an issue. Unfortunately, there isn't really anything we can do to change that in the short term. It would require a huge re-write of our report system, which just isn't really the priority for our devs at the moment.

However, we are happy to make the information contained within reports that we submit to steamrep public if need be. One idea we have toyed with is introducing a hidden forums section where report staff could make a thread which would include screenshots of the report and any communication with the reporter, and all evidence links required. The section would not show up on our forums page, but threads within it would be publicly visible if you have the link to them. This link could then be used in steamrep profile comments so that all proof is available publicly to anyone viewing the steamrep profile of the tagged user. The same section could be used for appeals.

We've gone ahead and set this up, here's an example link for what you would be able to provide in your ban reason/profile note: https://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/62659-test/