1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Be careful buying items with paypal now

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Trunk, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noibn

noibn New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17131132
    Trunk, I am sorry to hear this happened to you. :( I believe I have traded with you in the past and you were definitely an honest trader.

It's hard to believe Valve would do this without any reasonable warning (i.e. how is anyone supposed to know if an item they are trading for was stolen?) That's the part that is really unfair, and concerns me. Why can't Steam support flag stolen items in their database so that the trading window clearly displays them as stolen, with a warning? Seems a rather simple solution. I am also concerned that they may now be cracking down on Paypal (or I guess what they consider to be "lopsided" value trades). That's a game changer, and also not entirely fair. Such a system can potentially flag innocent people simply trading items between alt accounts or gifting items to others.

A lot of these problems can be fixed by Valve simply implementing the ability to trade Steam Wallet funds for items (minus a small percentage fee). I don't understand why they haven't done this yet. It would remove many of the issues that cash trades cause, and benefit them in the long run.
  2. Beast From The East

Beast From The East New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17788840
    Perhaps Valve was looking to ban you since you had so many idle accounts and this one sided trade was just what they needed. Seriously, how is it even possible to idle all those accounts every week?
  3. Melkor

Melkor New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:45978671
    Same thing has happened to me a month ago +-
    But I have been only temporary banned and they said that it was for that I could steal some credit card and buy keys from TF2 - but I didn't give money on my steam account since February
  4. Trunk

Trunk New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8768278
    Hate to bump this but people keep adding me to ask for help with their trade bans. My trade ban was removed after many tickets with Steam support. The best you can do is just send them a ticket explaining the situation and hope for the best.
  5. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:12083645
    Umm, Steam Marketplace? Hello?
  6. Nobel

Nobel New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42192766
    Xelnags's post was from Jul 10, 2012. Kind of a necropost...and Steam Marketplace wasn't around back then...? Steam marketplace is run by Valve through their channels, so I dont see what point you'd be making? Am i missing something?
  7. Rhys13th

Rhys13th New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:48386895
    Well, they already did handle it once, which led to the Cheater's Lament and Mr. Drunken f00l being banned. Soo... entirely possible. What I'd be concerned about, rather, is what they define as idling/alts. I have an alt, but I use it to store a couple of the older items I have, and that's about it.
  8. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Its regarding ppl that do like 500 idle accounts... They just wont define it for they can still apply it to other situations then if they see a need.

And on the Cheater Lament... A lot of ppl didn't understand a thing of what that really was
    DF created a server, with a small program distrubuted that ppl could run with their steam account. The program accessed a .dll file of steam, telling it that TF2 was running, and connected to a server. As that is a lot smaller then starting the game for 8 hours to get one's drops, a staggering 12000 ppl where using it... probably more.

Valve seeing this as cheating their drop system, condemmed it, and told that its not allowed. DF removed the download of the program and took the server offline.

On DF's trade ban, that is a whole different issue.
    This was due the Golden Wrench. DF had via contacts gotten the hold on a list of drop times on which or after the wrenches would drop. He then used a program that around the time of the drop would automatically craft/uncraft refined/reclaimed/scrap metal. When Valve found out, Robin tried to call DF to tell him that they had to VAC ban his account, but he was at his work at that time, and could not be reached.
    To be honest, the real problem was that Valve didn't keep a better lid on when those drops where, and should have made it truly random. I do think they had a bunch of meetings after this on hammering in on corporate secrets etc.

Both are uses of external programs to do things with items or tf2.

Both has been pretty public on SOP at those times, all you had to do was read the topics.

Currently DF works for Valve.
  9. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    All things in moderation :)
  10. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I extended above reply....
  11. Rhys13th

Rhys13th New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:48386895
    Indeed he does. Infact, he did an AMA on /r/tf2 about it earlier, around the time of his hiring I believe. I'm not misinformed about the topic, just overgeneralized in a very poor manner. However, if Valve chose, they could indeed do the same thing to idlers, since they run TF2 in text mode, but not one account at a time: They use Sandbox. It's used for lots of other things, but it would count as an external program if Valve did decide to pursue it.

In addition, regarding the wrench, it wasn't just that he got one for himself, but rather that he then leaked said information to his friends as well, leading to many of them also losing their wrenches. They also then modified the chances for crafting one by removing the ability to craft metal as part of the qualifiers for it: Ergo, scrap into reclaimed into refined and the other way around, even if at the right time, wouldn't trigger it, but hats or weps would.
  12. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

ehm, incorrect.
    He got it the times from his friends afaik. This was kept vague back then. But as far as I understood, one of his friends found out and DF got it, and tried. I believe 2 or 3 wrenches where involved, but no more. One of the earlier wrenches was given to a known exploiter/hacker back then by robin on the server he was on, that one got revoked too.

But more on the crafting. Yes they did block UNCRAFTING of metal, but one could still craft items to scrap, from scrap to reclaimed, and from reclaimed to refined, and from refined to hats. I know, for I did craft a bunch to try my own chances in that time.

The damn annoying about that was that it stayed for way after the whole Golden Wrench event. like a month or even more or w/e, don't remember exact time duration.
  13. Slayer 2

Slayer 2 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:48738666
    Guys if a person chargebacks will i be able tyo get my items back if i submit a ticket to steam? PLese help
  14. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Please do not bump threads from 2012. It would acceptable for you to create a new thread if your question has not been answered in a previous thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.