1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Being accused of scamming

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Bekfust, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Bekfust

Bekfust New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:73497213
    I recently added this user:
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    To buy their unusual and as we were discussing, they were scammed by someone impersonating me:
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Atm I don’t think I have enough evidence to compile a full report against them.
    However, my worry is that the victim has removed me and threatened to report me to steam support as they believe I was responsible.
    My profile, with accusations in comments:
    Hidden Content:
    Not sure what to do next :/
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2018
  2. Bekfust

Bekfust New User

Steam:
    Just remembered you’re not supposed to link scammer’s profile, can I not edit my post??
  3. Bekfust

Bekfust New User

Steam:
    Update: Victim was probably scammed by the phishing scam where a bot auto-copies profiles. I didn’t lose anything, but should I be worried about someone having my login info? Haven’t visited any fishy sites to my knowledge.
  4. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Scammers copy profiles for a number of reasons. It's hard to say what led them to impersonate you specifically, but reasons typically include having an expensive backpack, streaming or being high profile in any capacity, or serving as an admin in some significant community. You don't have to be hijacked for them to copy your profile, but scammers are sometimes petty and vindictive, so he could conceivably be doing that to spite you.

As for the victim, there's really nothing you can do. If you did anything that would've compromised your account, then you should absolutely change your password and de-authorize all other devices for Steam Guard. But victims are sometimes impossible to convince that you're innocent. They and possibly their friends will keep spamming reports against your profile, and leave the actual scammer untouched. It's one of the reasons why scammers like impersonating people so much, and one of the reasons why we don't allow scam reports from anyone except the victim themself.