1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Big problem with Backpack.tf falsely banning accs on Steamrep as alternates without evidence

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Proi Legitto, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Proi Legitto

Proi Legitto Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:1950756
    So recently i have been banned on Steamrep by backpack.tf and my account was attached as an alt to: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198339720818 ,and that friends acc has been attached to yet another persons 2 accounts: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198169749481 and http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198004941876
    which are NOT me and i have never used any of those accs (but i also do know the person that owns them).

And this are just a few examples, i can give many more cases of this, including where completely unrelated/innocent people have been banned.
    Now, some other alts backpack.tf did find correct, but the majority are wrong, and therefore its obvious that they just ban for "alt acc" without evidence.

This post is not about my ban or if i deserved it or not, its about the fact that backpack.tf bans users for being alts without any evidence just because they THINK/speculate that it might be an alternate account - obviously this can and does result in many innocent unrelated users being banned (and im not talking about myself here).

This should be discussed with backpack.tf admins because it cannot be that they ban people as "alts" without any real or conclusive evidence, just based on rumors, or for example simply because i have done a regular item for item trade and am friends with that user.

Peace
  2. Proi Legitto

Proi Legitto Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:1950756
    Proof of this Backpack.tf is giving themselves, as ban reasons they literally give: "Suspected scammer alt" .... SUSPECTED.
    From what i know on Steamrep all is based purely on facts and evidence and not on suspicion.

Here: https://backpack.tf/u/76561197964167241
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    It's against policy for SteamRep volunteers to comment publicly on individual cases, or to disclose any evidence used to determine whether or not someone is an alt account. You must appeal your tag with the community that issued it, who is expected to give everyone a fair chance at appealing. Complaining about it here instead of following the proper process isn't going to help your case. If you continue attempting to discuss or leverage a favorable outcome for your case here, the thread will be locked.

To alleviate this concern though, I'd like to point out your backpack.tf ban was done separately to the BANNED BY BPTF tag you were issued on SteamRep. It appears the admin - well within their right - arbitrarily banned you preemptively from their own site, in order to protect their userbase, then following additional research, were able to conclude they had enough evidence to issue a tag. Because backpack.tf autobans resulting from tags don't post a reason, or override existing site-ban statuses, the original "suspected alt" ban reason remained.

We don't police bans on communities' own websites, because those bans do not carry over automatically.
  4. Teeny Tiny Cat

Teeny Tiny Cat SteamRep Admin Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46722104
    You are very welcome to appeal your ban on the site, something you have not yet done. Be aware that just because there is no evidence posted publicly, that does not mean there is no evidence at all. Steamrep admins have access to it all and we are fully transparent with them about our reasons for applying tags, but sometimes it is not made available to the public to avoid giving scammers an easy guide on how we find alt accounts. In any case, as you have now been reported for completing a paypal scam, your site ban and steamrep mark have been updated accordingly.

I won't discuss this further in here. If you wish to appeal, do so on the site and a separate appeals admin will handle it.