1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

cant report attempted sharking?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Heavyoak, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavyoak

Heavyoak New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:28901678
    so a guy added me, tried to say that a genuine that I have is worthless, and then offered a worthless vintage for it. the thing is, I wasn't even selling that, so have no clue how he found me. but because sharking isn't on the list, it seems that I cant report him.

also, he de-friended me before I could take a screen shot, with he last words being: "good luck with reporting".

i'll pm an admin the guys name, but I doubt anything can be proved.

he unhid his profile and backpack just for me to see how valuable his offer was, and while I was looking, I noticed some stuff. he back pack has 6 pages, but only 2 1/2 are filled. also, almost everything he has is highvalue and was recently traded to him.
  2. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    You can report on MCT, TF2T and some other places, however this will only result in a ban on the particular server/network concerned. Lack of any cohesive action community wide on sharking is simply appalling.
  3. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45707254
    Very true but imagine if steamrep let in sharking reports aswell, all the admins will be up to there eyeballs in reports, I'm pretty sure helen and data storm would have to move there bed next to there computer hehe.
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

no thnx, my bed is close enough to my computer already.

/me pushes the bed out of the room again....
    Clive likes this.
  5. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45077164
    I don't think anyone should mark for sharking. I mean it is very mean to shark, but as long as your not lying about the price of an item I don't see how its considered a scam. Plus it is very hard to tell what is a shark and what is just a really good deal. And if someone made a trade they regret, why wouldn't they just file a sharking report to get it back? I don't think anyone should shark, but no one should mark/ban for it either.
  6. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    No it isn't it is easy, sharks get banned all the time. Trouble is there is no centralisation.
  7. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Sharking itself is the deception and lying. And no, they can't just file for a report they regret, well at least for my standards.

As VenGanZa has said, there isn't so much centralization. In the next few days, we're in overhaul at Harpoon. We're releasing a very simple website that will allow individuals to search steam profile links/steam ids/etc and see if there are reports against them. The system we have is a more complex one, it had multiple levels to work with various community standards. All in all, it was a pain in the ass to come up with.
  8. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    Well your site seems like it could ruin someones rep if a bunch of false claims were filed against someone.
  9. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Assuming this comment was directed toward me, the system would publicly display the accepted reports. Not "a bunch of false claims".
  10. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    Ah okay. Sorry I misunderstood
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.