1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Does any work actually ever get done here?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by ForteSP, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    Really? reports that are ready to review for 8 months? http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198001585006-vΛ-ɱ-ų-ɛ-ʀ-ҭ-ɛ-dz.26346/#post-151384

What exactly is the point of steamrep, again?

Also well over 5000 reports are unreviewed. The mods file these as ready to review but it's not like they ever get looked it by anyone.

It would literally be the say just reject every report, cause it's not like these scammers are ever going to be tagged, anyway. Really?? Here's another report that's well over a year old now... http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198043960271-si-youngie-❤.12227/

http://puu.sh/65Iom/a89e887ee6.png

So many reports from 11 months ago.... Looked at once, set as ready to review and never bothered to be accepted.
  2. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Going to be straight forward: no, not recently anyway. It makes me sick inside when I see 5000 reports because I know that I am partially responsible for them not being processed. It's a damn near impossible task, but I believe this can be fixed (somehow).

Don't forget about the 13k+ people who are banned. That at least helps to protect the community. As for the present and the future of SteamRep, we'll have to find a way to overcome this.
    ForteSP likes this.
  3. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    I do not know what kind of reply you expected because this question could be easily changed to "What is the point of this thread?".

I would not even reply to your thread but it seems you forgot about one feature that is available on SteamRep profiles so I decided that I would write about it.

We have the huge backlog - that is the truth. However, at the same time SteamRep forum is a huge "database" that contains a lot of reports. It means that even if the particular user is not banned by SteamRep, assuming that the reporter formatted the report properly, you can easily check SteamRep forum and find out if the person that you would like to trade with was reported or not.

What I have just written about is Search SteamRep Forum link that can be found under Search Engine Queries.
    [​IMG]

If you wanted to say that reporting to SteamRep is pointless, I think you are wrong.
    I wish you a happy new year.
    NinjaNick and SilentReaper(SR) like this.
  4. JulieT

JulieT New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:2849505
    It's not just reports, appeals are over a year behind as well. The 13000+ that are banned ? Some shouldn't be.
  5. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    What would happen if...
    all back log(a bit older then a month) got rejected.
    Shutted down you're forums from any new reports being accepted.
    Worked on reports at most 1 month old.

How long would a month of reports take to finish only?
    Maybe what this forum needs is a clean sweep.

You say to Search SteamRep Forum, but what if the report has weak evidence and maybe some false claims. I'd hate to call someone a scammer if it's not true.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  6. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    Some ideas of mine are that: they could just get as many mods and admins working on scam reports and lock off the forums so no new reports can be filled and then send the people wanting to make reports to affiliate communities with tags of their own. The lock would be for like a week or 2 to get as much of the backlog as possible. Or they could let every community with SR tags pick 2 of their most trusted admins to help moderate the reports or even just ship some of the backlog to other communities with tags for the affiliate communities to process :3.
  7. JulieT

JulieT New User

Steam:
    You guys still only suggest idea's on what to do about new scam reports - what about report appeals ? You can't just auto reject all the appeals... perhaps reject new reports for a period, and work on clearing existing reports AND appeals? And then begin accepting reports again at a manageable rate for the number of staff.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  8. JulieT

JulieT New User

Steam:
    You guys still only suggest idea's on what to do about new scam reports - what about report appeals ? You can't just auto reject all the appeals... perhaps reject new reports for a period, and work on clearing existing reports AND appeals? And then begin accepting reports again at a manageable rate for the number of staff.
  9. slayer

slayer New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:9021265
    I think the solution is pretty obvious... The administration needs to expand, and do that FAST. That is the only way to keep up with the flood of reports. Can't have the same small group processing all these reports. There have been mod applications from people that look well qualified, and they've gone unprocessed as well. Prioritize getting more mods/admins, then the rest will fall in place. My 2 cents.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  10. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:

And I appreciate it, but I think it's just wrong that people who scammed maybe a craft hat or two or a couple of keys 2-3 years ago are left with permanent, unappealable tags, due to the nature of SteamREP at this point, while people who are scamming unusuals right NOW, are getting away free with months and months to sell their items.

Also most new players have no clue about the "search function." If they see the steamrep status as clean, then they will fall for the scam, either way.

A new player isn't even going to consider to look for a button that searches for current reports, hence why we get so many users reported multiple times for successful scams.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  11. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    Is there anyway we could distribute a large amount of these reports for community associates to take, perhaps? Give each community say 200-300 reports to accept/reject within 1 month, they can use their own community policies to judge the posts right here on SteamREP and then they get tagged with a scammer tag or caution tag or no tag at all (if the post is rejected). It would reduce a large amount of the backup.
  12. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    The distribution of reports as you suggest would be damn near impossible to retain data and structure. People can use communities now to do reports and that is what SR would like obviously but its not happening as much as one would think. Do keep in mind however, that the policies for tags must remain the same across the board or you run into conflicts such as early on in the weee early SR days that people were getting scammer SR tags for using foul langauge in some groups servers which I know not only boiled my water but caused credibility issues with SR - these have been corrected swiftly and can't be allowed to happen again.

Also in reply to the other post you made - scamming is scamming no matter if its a craft hat or an unusual. I don't place distinctive values on things like many others, that is just me. I follow the idea that if you steal you steal regardless but I do recognize the way current say US laws are in place for common theft to grand theft which is something I've been more open to lately when you wanna reference some to others. Just gotta remember that SR or myself/WA can not follow "Price guides" or sites with estimated values placed on them to do this as they change every day. Hell, with all the negative problems coming out of backpack.tf concerning keys and other items from manipulation who would want to use them and risk even more flack.
  13. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Part of the reason old reports are not being cleared out quicker is because we are trying to handle newer reports first (and all reports against those scammers) because those scammers are active still, and some of the older ones have since been trade-banned by Valve. So as we try to catch up, much of our work is focusing on the newer reports which will not make much headway on the older reports.

We have a huge backlog-- we're working on ways to improve it. Though I'll note that sitting and answering questions about the obvious backlog is one more scam report or appeal that we can't handle. :)

We're all volunteers working here on our free time-- the popularity of SteamRep grew in 2013 beyond what we suspected and makes it very difficult to keep up.

You can help, too-- It does help if knowledgeable people in the community help victims as well with their reports, gathering the right evidence, understanding when they've worked with impersonators, etc.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  14. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868

The issue with adding staff is that they go for a long and thorough process to ensure they are the quality that SR needs. The only thing worse than an inactive admin is a corrupt one.

There's a lot of problems, I won't deny that, and it's not my place to give answers/thoughts on them. But I will say this, this thread is going to go one of two ways.
    1. It is a fruitful discussion with ideas, comments and is absent of rants & insults.
    2. It's full of rants and insults.
    If it starts to go towards 2, I'm just going to lock it. And I'm sure any of the other staff feel the same way. We're open to suggestion, but I don't believe that people need to insult us about problems of which we are quite aware.
  15. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:

Don't think you understood my point at all...

The people who may deserve to be untagged because they made a small mistake in scamming someone out of a hat, but later realized the mistake and refunded aren't getting their appeals.

On the other hand the people who are scamming huge amounts, and are still scamming today, due to the lack of a scammer tag.

Lemme do a diagram to simplify it

Person A....

Scams a craft hat -> is tagged -> realizes his mistake -> returns the scammed hat -> waits 1 years to appeal -> Appeals -> Is now stuck waiting forever in a constantly increasing appellant pool

Person B

Scams an Unusual Hat -> is reported -> 3 months later realizes he isn't getting tagged -> scams another unusual -> scams another unusual, etc,etc.
  16. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    It was said multiple times... There is no such status. If someone looks at a scooter but sees a car... I cannot do much about it other than letting this person know that it is a scooter.

I am aware of the fact that it is not the perfect example to reflect the problem because one is probably caused by psychological issues and the other one is probably caused by lack of understanding but there is a some kind of analogy because both people see things as different from what they really are.

This is a really important thing to understand the difference and to not confuse 'No special reputation' status with 'Clean' status that does not exist.
  17. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:

Well you and I and everyone who has commented on this thread so far knows that, but the people who are randomly added by scammers attempting to paypal scam them do not, know that. Many just think no tag = legitimate... Or rather not illegitimate
  18. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    Sounds like a new tag needs to be invented. "Under Investigation"
    If a report looks decent enough that they are most likely a scammer, a mod can add this tag to a user.
    There should be a search Link directly under that tag for the user themselves to decide if something is fishy about that report or not.
    Roudydogg1 and ForteSP like this.
  19. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    The now used Caution tag is sufficient for this.
  20. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    That would all come down to trust, currently the only individuals who can change a status of a user's profile on SR are SR Admins, Super Community Admins (from Associate Communities) and Valve (as trade bans/probation show up).

While the idea itself seems plausible, I don't believe it would actually be put into place.

I believe he suggested the new tag to prevent people from being confused, although if the evidence is thorough a caution should suffice.

Overall, I'm not sure if quick fixes/band aids for the larger problem is a good thing.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.