1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Fake Rep profile?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by gukingofheart, Jun 24, 2013.

1. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    So often I have traders who watch my youtube videos and put comments on my steam profile like

+rep youtube star
    +rep Awesome guy and really helpful.

What's considered fake rep anyways?
    I try to delete any comments that makes it sound like we traded but other then that, I leave it.
  2. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Profile rep is NOT rep, period!

Take it with a pinch of salt, it cannot ever be considered an indicator of trust in terms of trading since it can be deleted, faked and there is no oversight.

Having said that, it is fine and dandy that people post on ones profile nothing wrong with it, provided people take it for what it is and no more. Certainly "fake rep" on profiles is frowned upon and can lead to SR tags.

Real rep is based on RISK, in other words Paypal and similar, there is utterly no reason to +rep someone simply because they put an item into a Steam Trade window and clicked "accept" :) Rep should only be considered worthwhile if it comes from from sites which have firm rules and staff who properly oversee and manage things, SOP is perhaps the premier example of this, albeit in a restricted sense given their narrow rule set.
  3. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    Let me rephrase that.
    "Providing or soliciting fake reputation claims ("fake rep")"

What is considered fake rep?
    You say fake rep on profiles can lead to this, so what is fake rep?
  4. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Rep which isn't legit, trades which didn't occur etc
  5. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50710336
    What counts as fake rep in my eyes is just +rep comments with no specific meaning. Meaning comments that just say "+rep" or "+rep Good trader."
    What counts as real rep in my eyes Is rep that does have a specific meaning, meaning comments that say "+rep Bought 5 buds over paypal" or things like that. Though keep in mind that those types of comments can still be faked. It's important to check the date the accounts that gave the +rep were created (some people just create accounts to give +rep), if the givers of the rep even traded the items, and if those accounts are marked scammers. Like that penguin guy said, I wouldn't really go around trusting profile rep.
  6. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Fake rep is giving rep for a trade that didn't happen.

If no indicator of a trade is there, its not really rep, but more a appreciation.

not "rep":
    +rep youtube star
    +rep nice trader

"rep":
    +rep traded buds
    +rep bought 20 keys
    +rep mm'd xxx for me
  7. You Are The One

You Are The One Appeals SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Profile rep is very common among users who do not trade RWC, in some cases where a user is going around and asking for rep comments on a large scale, we mark. But because its not actually "rep" its very low priority and usually appeals for users who otherwise are unaware that they left such rep we tend to grant appeals and just let them know the difference. Doing so on RWC trading sites will get you a shiny scam tag tho.

hopefully that made some sense.