1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Found a new form of scam/hijack

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Dizzy, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Dizzy

Dizzy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:17451353
    I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, but I need to get this information out there so people can stay safe.

So yesterday I had a comment on my steam profile telling me to go to a certain reddit post, claiming a "giveaway". I checked the post and disregarded it because I felt like it was someone just trolling the hell out of people by claiming they will give away hundreds of dollars worth of stuff, deleted the comment and moved on.

Today, I get some random guy adding me on Steam with the reddit link in his bio, I felt like something is up, so I went to go check the post again.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    I have found numerous things wrong with this post

1. The Reddit_SkinsClub reddit appears to have been made recently, as there is only one moderator and the above post is the only post existing, made about 2 days ago from this posting date.
    2. Many comments were removed by the moderator, however, if you click on some of the users, you can still see the deleted comments. One claims that it leads to a steam that apparently has you enter your password WITHOUT asterisks.
    3. One even claims that the steam profile linked in the post keeps changing his name
    4. Many of the reddit user comments confirming it works are accounts that appear to have all been made in October, not to mention that their comment in this reddit post is the only comment/post they have ever posted.
    5. If you hover over the steam profile link provided (WHICH LOOKS LEGIT), it shows that the link DOES NOT redirect you to STEAM. Instead it leads to a .space website. I have not clicked this link and do not advise anyone else to do so, this is a SCREAMING RED FLAG to begin with. I would assume it leads you to a fake steam, as stated by the one comment about having to put in your password without asterisks.
    6. I decided to check out the steam profile myself using the profile ID listed in the post (765622988637426413), but by using Steam itself. The profile cannot be found whatsoever.

Overall, this is the first time I've seen something like this in awhile. It feels like a hybrid of of the skins site scam. It's almost frightening that anyone could fall for this, especially because the link appears to be legit but actually redirects you elsewhere. I hope this helps you guys out somehow.

Stay safe out there.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2019
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Pretty common lately - make sure you report to Reddit any of those you find.
    a simple "MOUSE OVER" will allow you to see the URL where the link goes on any site not just that.
    A easy check that everyone should be in the habit of doing.
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    To report Reddit links like this, go here: https://www.reddit.com/report?reason=this-is-spam

Do NOT click on the report button below any of the posts. Those go right to the scammer, who is running the subreddit. The above link goes to Reddit admins.

Edit: I've also hidden your link, so other people looking at your thread don't end up clicking it. Happens more often than you'd expect.

When reporting, make sure you include both the OP, moderator, and everyone who posted claiming to have gotten something. They're all accounts used by the same scammer. Here's a screenshot of what your report should look like:
    [​IMG]
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating, SteamRep Friend Members, SteamRep Partner Members).**
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019