1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Declined *FREE* Unusual-Hat-Search.Com

Discussion in 'Archived Applications' started by BLACKENED, Nov 3, 2012.

1. BLACKENED

BLACKENED New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:16391632
    1. Please list the URL/IP of each server in your community that runs the SteamRep plugin and how many days each has been running it.

There are no trade servers involved in this community. It is simply an Unusual-Hat-Search that is 100% free of charge. The website is oriented towards preventing users from trading with SteamRep marked scammers. The search lists the original ID of every unusual hat, so that DUPED ITEMS can easily be spotted and users are not fooled into thinking they are trading or purchasing a clean item when in fact it is not.

2. Have you made any modifications or changes to the SteamRep plugin? If so, please list.

There are no plans to have a trade server; therefore, there are no plans to run or modify the SteamRep plugin for any reason.

3. Please list the URL of your community's Steam group.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/unusual_hat_search

4. Please list the URL of your admins Steam group.

In the case of an Unusual-Hat-Search, there is no need for an admin only Steam Group as I am the one and only person affiliated with Unusual-Hat-Search.Com and there is no purpose or need for any other admins.

5. Please list ALL admins (not in the above group) and/or moderators of your community below with links to their SteamRep profile (e.g. HelenAngel - http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561197977521239)

Not Applicable.

6. What are your community's policies on scamming & scamming-related activities?

The primary purpose of my community website is to prevent traders from dealing with known and marked scammers. With the ability to check a users SteamRep, Backpack, and Original Item ID completely free of charge, this will eliminate a large amount of trades with known scammers. By having the website 100% free of charge, there can be no excuse for people to say they did not know a person was a scammer, or that the Original Item ID was a dupe.

7. Why does your community wish to be affiliated with SteamRep?

The Unusual-Hat-Search community wishes to be affiliated in order to provide a completely free of charge service to all traders. This places an even playing ground for all traders. It does not limit only those that can afford to pay a monthly fee for an unusual search to find out who owns an unusual hat, but it also allows everyone free of charge to determine if the owner of the unusual hat they are interested in belongs to a scammer, or has a duplicate.

8. Please provide a link to your community's website (if applicable)

http://www.unusual-hat-search.com/

9. Please provide a link to your community's Sourcebans or ban/report forum.

The community does not have a server; therefore, does not require a sourcebans installation. Also there are no plans to create a forum, because the website is self-sufficient in that it allows anyone that views the website to log in and add their backpack to the systems database that will be updated automatically.

10. Please provide a link to your community's stats page, hlstatsx or GameMe (if applicable).

Not applicable.

11. Please provide additional details about your community such as how it came to be, how long it has been around, the primary goals of it, what it does, etc.

The original development of the unusual hat search was a challenge to see if I was capable of making a completely functional unusual hat search database. It originally gained a lot of attention, including some negative connotations as well.

After spending many hours building the system, people often complained about having to pay for the search function. This as only a short period of time, while I was able to recoup the costs of the server that was running the website and gathering the information for the database. There was also a previous distaste with some that "Hours Played" was listed in the search results. While looking at this from a coding standpoint, I originally thought it was just another way to provide publicly available information to the users of the search, as the data was pulled directly from Steam with the use of the Steam Web Api. Over time, I did detect a pattern of misuse and removed that capability.

The website currently has around 36,400+ unusual hats listed, and that number fluctuates on a daily basis. I think that the ability to quickly determine owners, SteamRep status, original item id, as well as a few other things completely free of charge is a great thing for the community. It is important to note the website already has a very high level of traffic, and runs very stable. It is also important to note I have no intentions to add "Hours Played" to the search ever again nor do I plan to ever charge for this service. I spent many hours working on the animated search control panel, and I hope that everyone enjoys its. I am also very open to any type of suggestions that can improve the search engine.

12. Please post your community's desired banner (if not already on SR).
    [​IMG]
  2. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    I was under the impression that this was for community applications, this doesn't appear to be a community as much as it is a service/product.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  3. BLACKENED

BLACKENED New User

Steam:
    This Unusual-Hat-Search is a community tool for allowing people to perform a trade faster, safer, and overall more efficiently.

It also appears TF2 UNUSUAL, Luigi Thirty's Unusual Hat Search, TF2WH.COM, tf2bazaar, and backpack.tf are considered communities.
    So I do not see how your response is valid.

[​IMG]
  4. jameless

jameless Guru Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19765576
    This is true. Community applications might be a misleading name for this area of the forum. In either case, please bear with us, as we're working on a backlog of reports/appeals, so it may take some time to get to community applications. Don't take it personally if it takes us some time, we just have to focus on cutting down on the backlog before we can focus on other things.
  5. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Bazaar and Backpack.tf are communities though, they have a user-base which registers, gains reputation, interacts with each other, etc.
    I personally don't agree with any non-community being accepted for a banner.

I'm just going off of the exact title of this sub-forum, "Community Applications".
  6. BLACKENED

BLACKENED New User

Steam:
    Thank you, I appreciate the response.

Then it is a good thing Unusual-Hat-Search.com people register by logging on to the website, and interact with each other by adding them to discuss their unusual hats.
    It is even better that then can also check their SteamRep status, and can leave a positive or negative reputation feedback on the users rep thread independently of which community it is hosted on.
  7. Fiskie

Fiskie tf2bazaar founder Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26166446
    Something about that sounds a bit intrusive. I imagine people would do this just for the sake of asking each other if they are selling your wares. That is the epitome of annoyance.

On another note, as a site which allows real world trading we require SR to keep scammers at bay. That said, we still have a lot of other aspects that form a community.
  8. BLACKENED

BLACKENED New User

Steam:
    Status Update: Website has been redesigned completely. Also now contains almost 50,000 Unusual Hats!
  9. BLACKENED

BLACKENED New User

Steam:
    NEWEST UPDATE: ADDED DUPES.

Check any hat, it will show if duped.

~4,000 dupes in TF2. It is a very sad day.

Even still occuring cause the front runner knife storm has already been duped.
  10. jameless

jameless Guru Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19765576
    I think it's great that you're showing when a hat is a dupe. Any chance you'd be able to maybe show which other backpacks the hat is in when someone either hovers over the warning? Or a clickable link that shows "Hat is a dupe in these 2 backpacks." Something like that could be very useful, so when someone has one in his backpack unknowingly, he doesn't rage at you about what proof you have etc.

EDIT: Btw the new theme is much cleaner than previously, and some of the bugs I had noticed are now cleaned up. Good job.
  11. mittensthekitten

mittensthekitten Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:7857664
    If you could add item history and SR tags to show scammers the site would be phenomenal.
    ForteSP likes this.
  12. demanrisu

demanrisu New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19929219
    I've gotta say, the new site is looking great. Very usable.
  13. Backseatsman

Backseatsman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:31430526
    I have recently started to use this and I can say it is great and very easy to use.
  14. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    On a personal note, I think it is fantastic that so many people are using and finding this tool helpful. :) Duping is definitely a worry for many traders.

Unfortunately, I regret to inform you that SteamRep has decided to decline your application for Affiliate status at this time. However, you are welcome to continue to use the API if you wish and of course you are welcome to reapply in the future. :) If you have any questions, feel free to PM me directly. Thank you again for your application and we wish you the best of luck on your site's success. :)