1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Retracted Gara's Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Archived Applications' started by Gara, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Gara

Gara Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42629858
    1) SteamRep ID block pasted from your SR profile.

| steamname: Gara
    | steam3ID: [U:1:85259716]
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:0:42629858
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198045525444
    | customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/gara_girl
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198045525444

2) Are you at least 18 years of age? Timezone and nation of residence?

Yes, currently 22. PST, USA

3) Please tell us about yourself (job, school, hobbies, etc)?

Currently working nights as a packer in a warehouse part-time, randomly a date night babysitter (not very often). No school. Hobbies are cooking, crafting, drawling/painting, and video games. I'm an active person, easy going, friendly, honest, and patient. I do volunteer work time to time for different organizations, one dedicated to help support the performing arts programs in my community and another being my little brother's Boy Scout troop.

4) Why do you want to become a SteamRep moderator?

I manage members for the community I help admin, and come across many impersonators of admins and middlemen in our group. After receiving a tag of my own, I too was subjected to it, but with the lable came reports from players scammed by the impersonators of our members, thinking my Community Admin tab meant I could help. There was never anything I could do but instruct them how to report, and direct them here to SteamRep in hopes the scammer could be marked so that futher scams would be thwarted. Being able to help in even one more step would be wonderful.
    Also ЩĄ | Horse told me it could be something I should look into. It's always been in the back of my mind, so his little push got me here to finally apply.

5) How much time can you devote to SteamRep per week?

21+ hours per week. I can do more if/when needed; I usually have up to 4-6 hours of freetime a day.

6) Do you have any prior administrative experience, or similar (please elaborate)?

I've been an admin for the Big Bang Gamers community for 5+ years, currently ranked as a Head Admin, duties vary but a lot of it is member management, dealing with player disputes, looking over reports, bans, and suggestions... Aside from coding and updating plugins, I do whatever needs to be done for the group.
    I've also helped admin/advisor for other smaller groups (basically side groups started by a friend) but they branched too much and became dishonest so I left. I can elaborate further on that if required, but the position was really they needed someone to tell them what plugins would be good on the server, what rules they should have, and how they should admin. I wasn't around for more than perhaps 3 months. In that time 1 group became 4.

7) What challenges do you foresee if you become a moderator?

Perhaps language barriers. I've had players contact me before wanting to report something, but it was clear English was not their first language. Finding different ways to explain a situation to a player for them to understand can be tricky sometimes. Not impossible, but time consuming.

8) Can you accept the fact that you must enforce SteamRep rules and guidelines?

Yes.

9) Do you feel you will have any issues denying / accepting reports and appeals?

No.

10) Do you handle instruction and direction well?

Yes, I quite enjoy it actually. Being left to my own devices I can still get things done, direction just guaruntees exactly what is wanted done is done first. With instruction, I am dilligent in making sure things are done righfully so.

11) What do you feel are your personal shortcomings or attributes you can improve on?

I become distracted time to time when I attempt to multitask. Be it game related or situations in life, I have to make notes to myself to be sure everything I need done or say will get done, is seen to. Improving this would make having to find a pen a thing of the past!

12) What contributions do you hope to be able to make? We're especially interested in previous content or experience that shows you can help educate the community on fraud prevention.

I hope to help by getting more reports seen to. I know many players are scammed, and I know many will never see the items they had scammed from them ever again. At the very least I hope to give them that little bit of pride knowing their report helped lable a scammer for what he is.
    Many of our admins have explained to players to get to know us, never trust a name, seek proof, even how to use steamrep. I did a PSA a few years back soley on not trusting strangers on the internet (less to do with scamming and more to do with phishing links at the time). As I said before, I've come across many players impersonating members of my community as well as players scammed by them. For instances like these, impersonators are removed from the group page and reported to steam, while scammed players are directed where/how to report on steam and told to go to SteamRep with their reports as well. I try to explain to the ones who do not already know what the site is that they can use it to help better identify players and check for possible flags, and that their reports can help others looking a scammer up.

13) Do you have any interest in eventually becoming an SR Admin? If so, what kinds of things would you like to do?(Example- community relations, appeals, scam reports, etc.)

Eventually sure. I'd assume with time if I'm doing a well enough job, I could accumulate more duties. If that means becoming a SR Admin one day, so be it! So long as I'm taught the way, I can do anything.

14) Please list all alternate Steam accounts using SteamRep ID blocks.

These aren't so much "alts" as they are my siblings accounts. I have used them in the past to test things on servers, and still log into them time to time to help edit a setting for them. They are in no way mine, but I have access (because I'm the big sister who fixes things).

(Brother)
    | steamname: Dylan
    | steam3ID: [U:1:132294197]
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:1:66147098
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198092559925
    | customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/kiki7971
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198092559925

[A note on Dylan's account, it was originally my mother's. Not sure if that information is needed for some reason... Nerd family, got to love it!]

(Sister)
    | steamname: WakaLaka
    | steam3ID: [U:1:84793765]
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:1:42396882
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198045059493
    | customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Samnk99
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198045059493

15) Do you agree to the Code of Conduct and agree to abide by it?

Yes.

16) Have you read the Duties of SR Moderators post and understand it?

Yes.

17) (If applicable) List Steam trading communities you are / have been active on and in what capacity (user, mod, admin), also give a link to the account(s) there.

N/A

18) Do you have any questions?

Nope.
  2. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    Best of luck!
    Gara likes this.
  3. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    I have to ask... why is this your first time posting here?
  4. Gara

Gara Partner Community

Steam:
    When I first learned of SteamRep, it was a foreign thing and I didn't know its use; Over time I realized it was more than just a tool to check who was tagged. Took me a while to make an account as I was stubborn in putting my login information into anything that wasn't steam itself. After that whole debacle, I just stuck to observing. I never felt my 2 cents was needed in general being a newbie, and for reports ( if it was something that could/should have been seen past the community field) I would guide players where to go/ how to report, as they were the ones with information. I kick myself for not being more involved.
  5. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Sorry for the delay. Are you still interested in becoming a moderator?
  6. Gara

Gara Partner Community

Steam:
    Yes, my availability is going to be a bit different however. My work schedule is the same for now, but I'm prepping to move in July. I'm prepared to do what I can when I can regardless.
  7. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    Application is now under review.
    Diamond jozu(no auth) likes this.
  8. Gara

Gara Partner Community

Steam:
    Update!! All moved and just about settled in. Timezone has changed to MDT, availability is the same
  9. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    You have a lot of experience and it would be great seeing you on the team. Best of luck.
    [M&C] TheBluekr likes this.
  10. Gara

Gara Partner Community

Steam:
    If possible, I'd like to subtract my application. I don't feel as though I am active enough to be of much help. Free time has become a fickle thing that I hold on to dearly, and I can't see myself being as dedicated as one would hope to be. Thank you so much so for the consideration!
    schmed likes this.
  11. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    We're sorry to hear that, I'll mark your application as retracted.