1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Getting back items from a scam.

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Elite| jamesraylee, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
  2. 7-11

7-11 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:50933969
    Sorry, I wasn't clear about what I was trying to ask. I just want to know whether we get a notification when a game is deleted from library/inventory due to fraudulent purchases or not. If we don't get any notification, will Steam automatically return our items that we have traded for that item, or do we need to ask support every time it happens? (which means we have to memorize/take notes of what we have unless we don't mind items to start disappearing from our inventories without us noticing and not returning unless we ask for it)

And what's the policy if a game that I got from a trade and gave to a friend got revoked from his library? I got it from a trade, so supposedly I would get the items that I have traded for it, right? But, support hasn't responded to me even till now, 2 weeks after I created the ticket..
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Say you traded with items for 2 copies of games X, you keep one and you gift the other to your friend.
    The games turned out to be chargebacked by the person that bought them (or more likely: the paypal account was hijacked/fake/etc)
    Yours and your friend's games will be revoked, only you can reclaim items worth of 1 game, for the game that was removed from your account.
    your friend, as he recieved it as a gift from you, has no claim, for the stance of steam support is that he got it for "free".
    You can't claim the game for it wasn't in your possession...

yeah, unfair, I know. But thats what the policy stands for.

Hence why we advice to ALWAYS trade games for Items and vv. Even if you are gifting it.
  4. 7-11

7-11 New User

Steam:
    So, if I traded items for only one game, and I gifted the game to a friend, I won't get my items back when the game got revoked? That's a very flawed policy LOL. That makes the gifting function pointless for traders.....
  5. cXc

cXc New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:31484010

I was in this situation 2 months ago and they restored my items without any questions.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Oh? the case I learned this "policy" on was of longer ago (about a year I think). Thnx.
  7. 7-11

7-11 New User

Steam:

How long did it take for them to respond your ticket?
  8. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Still we advice everybody to trade for games with Steam items, like of TF2 or Dota2 etc.
  9. LGM Lies

LGM Lies New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:72434681
    but how did u do it pls help me cXc . i got scammed really badly for my items
  10. LGM Lies

LGM Lies New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:72434681
    how do u submit a ticket
  11. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
  12. im a cookie

im a cookie New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19147981
    Well as for the scammer he'll get trade banned for sure.. like I did.... and you will probably get your items back.... So hopefully you will
  13. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    No he won't. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9958-MJDG-3003#scampolicy

In very rare cases, EG a SteamREP admin getting hijacked and the hijacker scamming would be the only reason valve would give back scammed items, for the most part.

Scams are exceptionally easy to fake and will lead to item duplication similar to fake hijacking, if valve restored scammed hats.
  14. im a cookie

im a cookie New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19147981
    Oh didnt know that man.... Thanks for telling me this....
  15. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    And even that 1 case of a SR admin being hijacked was a exception. A exception that could be justified for were that fast on top of it, that things where reversible. Don't count on it to be happening a 2nd time.
  16. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    That said, I think this thread has run it's course and should probably be locked. It's a rebumped thread from 2012.
  17. [callmetaz]

[callmetaz] New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:85614352
  18. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin: