1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

GOT SCAMMED PLEASE HELP ME!

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Snow 7, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Snow 7

Snow 7 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:63343040
    He scammed me Unusual Batters Helmet with Steaming Effect only worth around 10 keys, was struggling to sell it and he offered I know now that it was a stupid decision but please do you best in banning him he was brokering 5/6 at the time so i guess they were all scammed hats. He also keeps changing his name and clearing his recent names to try hide himself but his still in my recent trade history and messages.

Attached Files:

2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    First off, should the event happened as you described (I don't wish to pass any judgement one way or another) then sorry for your situation.
    However, this is not where you submit reports and just a quick glance as your evidence it is all entirely unacceptable.
    We do not review cropped screenshots nor do we review getfriendmessage logs without the raw steam chat screenshots per policy/requirements.
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-submission-fundamentals.169802/
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/screenshot-guide-requirements.157969/

Should you have the evidence required and in the format which is described in those links then you are welcome to submit a report here - please do not submit if what you provided is all you have since it will be Declined and takes time away from other reports that do have the needed evidence.

You can report the user to Valve instead at any point.
    Thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  3. krim_

krim_ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:62842241
    Sorry man; it's a shame that this site just harbors scammers with no desire to actually prevent scamming. When being scammed for the FIRST TIME with no expectation of it happening, it is hard to provide a dossier of evidence against them. That is what they ask and that is all they will accept. So, in other words, unless you go Chris Hansen mode and waste another $500 getting scammed by the same guy just to record everything and stockpile evidence against them, you're s✿✿✿ out of luck here. This website could suitably be renamed to Jeffery Epstein's Private Island.
    CoMmEnD mE 2 and Nathidraws like this.
  4. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    So you'd rather we ban people without evidence?
  5. krim_

krim_ New User

Steam:
    I'd rather you let victims of scams share their stories so that other people can at least consider the past experiences of others with a particular scammer, before being robbed of their money. If a scammer has multiple isolated reports against them without ample evidence, the overall community should still know clear and well about these reports, whether or not you deem them substantial enough to definitively convict them.
  6. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    All past reports on a user are visible. If you file a report (not my problem that this user tried to file it here in the General Discussion), with or without evidence, then regardless of the outcome of that report it is still visible on that user if someone clicks "Search SteamRep Forum" on their SR profile. It is important that we don't leave any sort of mark on their profile merely for volume or pattern of reports, though. What's to stop me and my friends filing a bunch of worthless reports against a user we don't like and triggering some sort of a warning on their profile that they don't deserve?
  7. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Enstage did cover things well.
    Do keep in mind that it is not fair for others to be accused without proper/complete evidence.
    Remember we are in a innocent till proven otherwise world even if you don't like it.
    I'm sure you would be rather upset if someone reported you with such a lack of proper evidence such as what you provided on your report this evening .
    Let alone the notion that if we tagged you for it just because it was submitted without any oversight what so ever on our part.

So while you may not like the outcome, nothing provided proved anything of which you described and therefore the report was correctly Declined per policy.
    You are more than welcome to report to Valve if you like instead.
  8. krim_

krim_ New User

Steam:
    I would be upset. But what makes me more upset is that I am completely powerless and MACHNRAK is going to keep scamming people out of thousands because he knows how to play around your system. I am well aware of the state of the world. I would compare this to a Twitlonger about a victim of abuse. Sure, it is not at all a lawful action and doesn't prove guilt, but numerous reports should be damning and actually mitigate scamming, which I don't believe the current system does. As it stands, this site doesn't serve the purpose it should at all. It is extremely likely that scammers like MACHNRAK are targeting people who have never been scammed before. So, the only way to actually prove that he scammed is to screen and voice record the entire encounter, as he deleted evidence and blocked me immediately on all platforms. Why do the scammers win on here?
  9. krim_

krim_ New User

Steam:
    And you and I both know it's extremely unlikely that someone who's never been scammed before is going to be so prepared as to gather all the evidence needed to do as little as tarnish their name on a website. I will never get scammed again. I was an idiot and I'm mad at myself for letting it happen. But allowing people to share their stories and perspective is fundamentally fair. I know the "Search SteamRep Forum" button exists, but how likely are people going to click on that when there's a big silver shield next to their name?
  10. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    You never proved any event happened so its all accusations and nothing more just so everyone is aware.
    We've had people reported several times and nothing proven per policy with regards to evidence requirements here.
    That is not our fault - our links clearly say what we review and don't review.
    If you wish to discuss policy we can continue here - however we won't allow a continued soapbox conversation of accusations thrown up and still arguing the outcome of the report as that is against FAQ policy.

So you are welcome to create a thread to discuss policy as long as you do not use it to argue your reports outcome.