1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Declined GrimFortress.com

Discussion in 'Archived Applications' started by haeclark, May 12, 2018.

1. haeclark

haeclark New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:14738836
    Basic Information:

Community name: GrimFortress.com
    Community website: http://grimfortress.com/
    Languages spoken: No, we're primarily English. Though we have people who are foreigners, but they understand English.
    Size of community:
    5,944 members through our Steam group, and 4312 unique gamers logged on our HLstats page since stats reset last October. Both the Steam group and HLstats can be accessed through our website.​

Links:

Staff and groups:

Steam group: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/grimfortress
    Admin group: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/GrimFortressStaff
    Staff ID blocks:

Application:

What are your community's policies on scamming & scamming-related activities?
    As stated on our rules/guidelines page:
    "No hacking, exploits, item scamming or cheating of any form."
    Cheating/scamming is our most enforced policy not to do within our servers. It is the only thing people will instantly get permanently banned for when found guilty of doing so.
    When people are reported as cheating, we have them spectated if the act is still going on within our servers, or have a demo supplied for evidence or if the cheater has already left. Demos are not needed if the cheat is obvious.
    For scamming, if it's proven someone has been scammed in anyway, the scammer is permanently banned.
    Exploits are our most lenient, as we allow 1 warning first for them to stop and not do it again. If the exploit is still done, then get banned. Whether it's perm or not depends on the exploit.
    Hacking is simply not tolerated on any level. Indisputable perm ban if anyone is found guilty of hacking.​
    API usage:
    Hadn't heard of it until now. We do conduct some trading, but it's really only for zombie perks for within our servers that I personally only handle. Ive not really had a need so far for anything like this. I looked over the linked thread about it though, and wasn't really clear on how to go about adding it.​
    Why does your community wish to exchange banners and become a Friend of SteamRep?
    We pride ourselves on being a friendly and fun server for people to play TF2 in, knowing that it's a place people won't have to worry so much about cheats/exploits, or toxicity on any level. Exchanging banners with SteamRep would reflect our sincerity to everyone who plays TF2 that we're genuine in our policy of what is and isnt allowed in GrimFortress servers.​
    Tell us more about your community:
    GrimFortress was established in 2014 by another person (who's honerably mentioned on our staff page). The other co-owners and myself bought the community group in Aug 2016 after Trancy decided it was time to move onto new/bigger things.
    We're a TF2 Community known for our Halloween theme inspired by TF2's own Halloween event, and the friendly people who play within it.
    GrimFortress currently runs 3 TF2 Servers, though 1 is in development mode of trying to add fun new game features instead of the default regular servers.
    We're not popular on the 24hour level that some skial and daycare servers see, but the people who do fill GrimFortress up are typically very friendly people who strike up relationships with one another. A lot of friendships have been created, and even relationships sparked all from assisting in bringing people together in a friendly environment.
    We pride ourselves in being stern about cheating/etc, but also love to have fun times with our admin abilities with occasional "gravity free" times or goofing around sometimes with no-clip, all for and as long as people are having fun.
    The four of us co-owners of GrimFortress combined with our staff do our best to keep TF2 a fun place to play, free from cheaters, racists, and negativity.​
    Questions or Comments:
    How would I go about adding the API, and where would I add it? (to the website I assume?) How do I go about using it? Ive not heard about it until now, and am not opposed to using it, esp if it helps everyone in the greater good of catching and reporting/marking people who unfortunately take enjoyment in stealing/cheating/etc others.

Also, as far as the staff only group goes, we never had a staff only group before for GrimFortress. We have a Discord dedicated to GrimFortress, and always directed people there. It didnt look like the staff group was required, but I created one anyway and sent out some invites. Some people haven't been online in awhile though, so Im not sure how quickly everyone will accept their invites.

If needed, I can also be contacted by email at
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    REDACTED BY MODERATOR​

Attached Files:

2. haeclark

haeclark New User

Steam:
    I'd also like to note that our FaceBook and merchandise sites have not really taken off. They're more a side-line thing for those who like to support those types of things, but as of now, they're not really a staple of our community.
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I redacted the email address you posted; dropping it in a public forum like that is a good way to get spammed. It's still visible to staff though, don't worry.

The API is primarily aimed at websites and applications, and is a way to programmatically determine someone's SteamRep status. For game servers, what you're looking for is our plugin. The official version is located on our plugin page here, but isn't actively maintained and some people have reported problems with it. There's a newer unofficial version repackaged by Dr. McKay here that generally works better from what I've heard. The plugin will accomplish the same thing as the API, and depending on your settings either kick, ban, or label marked scammers who join your server. If labeled, it will change their name to display [SCAMMER] in front of their name in red for anything they type in chat. For non-trading servers, we recommend applying the label at minimum, and either kicking or banning for any servers that allow trading.
    While admirable as it is to take a stand against cheating, you do understand that cheating and game/map exploits are well outside our investigative policy right? SteamRep only deals with scamming and fraud, and has nothing to do with investigating or researching cheats.
  4. haeclark

haeclark New User

Steam:
    Thanks for the info on the API

Yes I understand the SteamRep doesn't really handle cheating/exploits. That's more our end, and just a note about how we try to keep our servers filled with good people. We do offer some perks, much like skial dose, of certain in game abilities obtained by trading various things, including TF2 items. So being affiliated with SteamRep would help show that we're in fact trust worthy to those who might have any doubts or reservations.
  5. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    Do you run MOTD ads?
  6. haeclark

haeclark New User

Steam:
    Not as of now. They were once at one point in time, but we removed them to see if people like that better. Is it needed?
  7. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    No, and I'd personally prefer if you not as some ad providers have been known to serve malware.
  8. haeclark

haeclark New User

Steam:
    Oh! Good to know! That's awful! :eek::mad:
  9. The Gentlemann's Fedora

The Gentlemann's Fedora National Heavy Boxing League owner Friend Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:44524173
    I have spoken to @Lava over Steam pm in regards to this application, but I give my personal +rep to @haeclark and GrimFortress in regards to their application. They have sponsored 2 of the NHBL's tournaments to this point and have never drawn any red flags for me in regards to scamming. You have my vote for becoming an Affiliate Community (even though I don't have actual voting power in this regard.) :)
  10. haeclark

haeclark New User

Steam:
    Thanks The Gentlemann's Fedora! Much appreciated!
  11. haeclark

haeclark New User

Steam:
    Any word on this application?
  12. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    I'm sorry to say it hasn't been voted on yet. I will push internally for a final vote within the next 1-2 weeks and get back with you here. Sorry for the wait.
    haeclark and [M&C] TheBluekr like this.
  13. haeclark

haeclark New User

Steam:
    No problem! Thanks for the update. =)
  14. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    I am sorry for the delay in processing your application. The delay was largely due to insufficient vote participation from staff. Having now voted, we collectively believe that you would make a bad fit as an affiliate. The main reasons our staff voted against your application were:
    • Your membership estimate was very shaky. It's a real stretch to consider "anyone who ever inadvertently connected to my server" an "active" member. It would also be a stretch to consider 1000+ "active" members a realistic possibility when your servers could only theoretically hold 72 people at most, and in practice seldom even come close to that.
    • As a server cluster that is barely able to fill its 3 existing servers, your community is exactly the type of community this new minimum membership requirement was intended to keep out. In the past, we were more open with server clusters, who went offline months to years later without warning, and left us to clean up the mess. Your community looks in a similar state to some of our defunct communities before they did the same thing.
    • With your emphasis on "cheating" and failure to understand what the API is for, much less implement it, you didn't seem to understand what SteamRep was for when you first applied. If you had a decent reason for not running the API, and could explain, even if you ended up implementing it later on, we could've understood, and might've been able to overlook the issue. But if you don't even understand what we do, then how can we expect you to support our cause?
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**