1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

How a site become an Partner/Friend?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by ferus, Jun 8, 2014.

1. ferus

ferus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:24745970
    As described in topic. We created a new website that is helping users finding new CS:GO trades, as well as betting (coming soon).

Link to our reddit post:
    Code:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/27f7p8/new_tradebetting_site_csgotraders/
    We've already implemented SteamRep button in users profiles, as well as trade replies. Few moments ago /r/GlobalOffensiveTrade added us as our Affiliate page in their sidebar.
    So, what are the rules to be a partner/friend? :)
  2. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
  3. ferus

ferus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:24745970
    What a shame, I didn't checked out the Community Applications forum.. :( Thanks! :)
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Any community must be "stabilized". For new communities are always in a lot of turmoil. The first 6 months such communities undergo a lot of changes, exchange of admins, changes of the site, how things are handled, building up rules within, gaining members, etc etc.

Sadly, most communities start with all the intent, but after some months they get abandoned/inactive, for it becomes too much work, or admins run away etc. For SR its important to look at the stabilized community. The first few months don't say much.

By now I have a set opinion of how a community must be run. The most unstable ones are those where/when:
    - Ownership is shared between 2 or more ppl.
    - Owner is not able to technically setup and/or maintain site and or its "software" (relying on somebody else will at a certain point break up the site, that person leaves at some point etc).
    - Owner is not delegating and monitoring, but doing it all himself.
    - Owner is not available for long stretches of time.
    - Roles aren't well defined (Owner, head admin of *insert subsection*, admin of *subsection*, junior admin of *subsection*, mods of *subsection*) and what their exact jobs / responsibilities / and limits are.
    - Never publicly counter admins, let the original admin deciding blah tell "After internal communication we decided to change blah". Once that type of fighting starts, its all bets off.
    - Admins not experienced enough to know when something is outside of settled policy and not, passing things upward to let the higher up layer handle it, or asking guidance for them.
    - Any new policy or situation not covered in policy not being discussed in a admins hidden subforum among admins.
    - Somewhat regular meets in voice/chat in growing size. Say Owner + head admins meet, All head admin + admins meet of *subsection*, All *admins meet. etc etc. Record or keep notes for ppl that could not make it.
    - Very few communities break even in monetary income for maintaining the site. Make sure you are willing to back it up for years to come, and can spend the time to maintain it.
    - Whatever cash flow decided upon, it must be transparent. Donations, admin fees etc. (depends on trust). Owner is in the end responsible.
    etc etc.

There is way more. But you can gauge from above that communication and control is key.
  5. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Age is a big one regardless of what someone else thinks here, age is a big issue when experience comes into play. Kaz and Myself own/operate WickedAfterlife and both of us are pretty close to 40 with normal lives, paying jobs and so on but we do it for fun mostly and for the community we've come to enjoy. Silent is pretty spot on for I'd say most of what he's put up aside from the ownership - we've been doing very well with two owners and infact its best to have some redundancy when you do these types of things cause what if something happens to either of us? What if I have some kinda accident and I'm no longer in the world of the living and put out to pasture? Well there are steps we've taken to ensure that each of us can still maintain control of everything that is going on...s✿✿✿ happens so prepare for it.

I highly recommend thinking the start of any group/community for a while to ensure that is what you wish to do or perhaps its best to just partner up with an existing group.
    SIVARTZ likes this.
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Horse: It CAN work, but I listed factors that I've seen comm's beeen taken down on. If Co-ownership: must be really good long time friends etc. If just knowing each other "vaguely" from steam chat for a time, there will be a clash at somepoint. Agree on age, should be above 20ish at least. Most often people that come out of school/study have no time anymore to maintain the community. Even transition from high school or w/e to university can already be a breaker for time.
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.