1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

How do these OPSkins/Any other trading websites scams work?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by {HR} Insanity, Mar 26, 2017.

1. {HR} Insanity

{HR} Insanity New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:66439363
    I recently just had two people ask to buy my knife through bitskins/opskins. I listed them for sale, and they both immediately unfriended and blocked me. I don't know if this is a scam, or how it is one, since I still technically have control of my item throughout the entire process. Can someone explain?
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Possible fake opskins bot scam.... did they ever ask you for your trade offer URL or do you have it listed anywhere?
  3. Lucky Shot

Lucky Shot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:48760292
    First of all, did they give you a link of that site? Maybe this site is illegitimate or a fake copy of a legitimate site?
  4. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Yep - nevermind you have the sucker plastered right on your profile. Trade offers and offer URL's are used by 90% of scammers now.
    So what they will do is ask you to list the item there, then send you a fake offer from a fake bot.

@Lucky Shot that isn't whats happening.
  5. Lucky Shot

Lucky Shot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:48760292
    But didn't they tell him to list his knife in an illegitimate site and then sent him an offer from a fake bot? If he listed it in a legitimate site, he would understand the difference between the fake and the real bot, since he would get an offer by both of them, right? :/
  6. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    They are really using a trading site like opskins as reference.
    No reference to any odd site. You would be hard to know which was real and which wasn't if the timing was good enough and didn't take the time to research them to ensure which was correct. Fake bot, fake code in the trade message and everything.. it happens everyday and a very common scam so its SUPER important that people TAKE THEIR TIME and research accounts that send offers prior to accepting them.
    But you have greed and the needing to quickly list the item to get big funds etc etc and that is when you screw up.
  7. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    Haven't used sites like OPskins before but doesn't it work like it displays a code to you before sending the offer and then the code must be in the trade offer's message?

also a similar scam can happen if they tell you to download a fake browser extension
  8. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    As I said Greed is driven and the needing to quickly list the item to get mad profits "OMGz I MUST HURRY LIST IT SO I GET MAJOR OVER PAY!!" kicks in and people get stupid and screw up without paying attention.
    We aren't talking about a fake browser extension though - this is only related to what the Op gave in regards to someone wanting them to list something on opskins or bitskins sites..same applies for other legit trading sites.
    Nebras likes this.