1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

How to redeem Gift Cards earned online

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Jay Gummers, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Jay Gummers

Jay Gummers New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:456444435
    So, I have come across a few websites that offer legit tutorials to earn gift cards from platforms like PointsPrizes, PrizeRebel, etc.

The question is how do I redeem such gift card codes if I even get them? Are they some sort of scams or what?
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
  3. Jay Gummers

Jay Gummers New User

Steam:
    So I directly put the generated code from the website to the Redeem Box?
  4. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Yes. Bear in mind though, many websites of that nature are scams and will not actually give you a code. I recommend avoiding them altogether.

By the way, game codes can be redeemed here: https://store.steampowered.com/account/registerkey (different from wallet codes)
  5. Jay Gummers

Jay Gummers New User

Steam:
    But I saw like hundreds of good reviews about those sites... Are you sure they still might be a scam?
  6. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    We didn't say they were or weren't...just making you aware that you need to do your home work when dealing with any site where you can get things like this.
    All the other Admin did was recommend that you avoid them altogether. What you do at the end of the day is still completely your choice.
  7. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I'm not commenting on any one particular site, but you should know there is a huge industry surrounding fake reviews and review manipulation, far beyond just Steam.

If it's a website you already know and trust, or have credible sources to confirm its legitimacy (e.g. someone you know who used it, not someone adding you on Steam or a bunch of positive reviews on their own site) then by all means enjoy it. But this type of website is a very common scam, so if you don't want your email getting spammed to the point of unusability with nothing to show for it, you should exercise extreme caution. If it were me, I would assume any website even remotely matching your description was a scam until firmly proven otherwise.

Truth be told, I actually fell for a scam which sounds just like what you described around... was it 10 years ago now? The site promised gift cards for something, I forget what, might've been Amazon gift cards or iPhones or something. At the time, I figured they weren't asking money, so I was probably safe. What happened was they kept increasing the bar for what I needed to "redeem" my rewards with. First I just had to give an email address and get a free iPhone or gift card or whatever it was. Then I had to refer at least 5 friends and wait for them complete their sign-up. Then I had to select "activities" to earn points with, including marketing surveys, visiting their partners' stores, registering on websites, sitting through ads and infomercials, etc. Then the number of points required increased and it got to be like a week-long full-time grind. Then after all that, I had to spend a minimum of $100 on at least 10 of their sponsors' websites before I could redeem anything. Never at any point did they give me anything for all this, not even a $5 gift card. It was all a foot in the door style scam, and they had me from the very beginning - my email was still practically unusable with all the spam even 5 years later when it got shut down. If you want to ignore my warning, then go ahead and learn the hard way. It's your life experience, not mine.
  8. Jay Gummers

Jay Gummers New User

Steam:
    Oh my God! I didn't know that this has been happening since last 10 years. I am really grateful for your kind reply with such details. Thanks for sharing this. @Lava
  9. rogerfedrer

rogerfedrer New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:447581214
    From my point of view, not all of them are wrong some legitimate sites providing great content I really earned some free coins from one of those methods available on the site.
  10. Jay Gummers

Jay Gummers New User

Steam:
    Hi, this is the website that offers guides to get Free Steam Wallet Codes Online. You can check it out
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018
  11. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    I've hidden that URL, definitely don't want "free steam code" links floating around. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  12. rogerfedrer

rogerfedrer New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:447581214
    I don't know! Maybe it is legit, maybe it isn't. I am just suggesting you to stay safe because it might be a scam.
  13. Jay Gummers

Jay Gummers New User

Steam:
    You can keep it showing and maybe mark it as a "Warning Sign." So other people wouldn't fall for its fancy look. I sure did.