1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

I had an Impersonator

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by D-J-M-99, Aug 5, 2013.

1. D-J-M-99

D-J-M-99 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44895410
  2. Hitman Sparky

Hitman Sparky User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13772726
    There really isn't anything you can do about Impersonation problems, since they happen very frequently. A few tips to help people to distinguish you from impersonators are to list your Steam account creations, number of games, hours played on certain games, ect. Another thing you can do is if you really are that desperate to get them off your back, set your profile status to Friends Only. Hope this helps and thanks for reading.
  3. D-J-M-99

D-J-M-99 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44895410
    Alright thanks for the help
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

no, friends only profile would only play into their cards, for a profile is harder to impersonate then a "private profile".

On your intereactions elsewhere, always leave your specifics of your account, a lot of ppl put those on their steam profile, but thats pretty useless for the impersonator just copies it.

- Enable features in steam profile nobody can copy, for example Item showcase, workshop showcase for items only you have, or are not much to be found like a specific unusual etc
    - leave in signatures of forums etc around that you have that set as your showcase
    - leave in signatures of forums etc around your specifics: high # of hours played on what game (that is on your profile on top), # of games you own, "more then xxx friends", main group, etc.

So ANY reference of you elsewhere will be showing that, and that is hard...

You cannot help to be impersonated, if the dumbass "victim" isn't checking you out.
  5. ryaneus

ryaneus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:53135677
    Maybe you could try setting a unique profile description like asking users to verify that its really you by maybe checking the hours played, games owned or number of friends. Thats a way to limit these impersonation attempts.
  6. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    Impersonators don't care. They'll just copy your profile description and hope people don't care to check to make sure you have xxx amount of hours.
  7. ryaneus

ryaneus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:53135677
    My point exactly. :) Haha. Thats how to make people check your profile, or the impersonator's profile to be sure.
  8. Sorainzas

Sorainzas New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17652200
    Just make sure to post in all of your listings the correct link to your real profile, that should help.
  9. Flying Anonymoose

Flying Anonymoose New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:31172344
    Also, another VERY helpful thing to do is to set a custom URL, that part is impossible to copy! You could also include that in your description to check that.
  10. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Horrible advice, when you change it, an impersonator picks it up and most times the user does not take the time or does not know to change their links on various sites with the updated url. Custom urls are also more prone to misspellings by scammers as numbers/letters can be substituted more easily. Always use an id64 when linking your profile, it cannot be used as a custom url. For example, your sig is using a custom url, that is pretty dumb of you. I have had at least 30 or so users on my site be scammed by custom urls that are now used by impersonators, thats why we made all our rep threads require id64 urls with no formatting, as for scammers using id64s as custom urls, I cant think of a single case since valve made that no longer possible.
  11. Flying Anonymoose

Steam:

Looking back at that, I realize it was definitely not the best info. That's what I get for posting when I just woke up. Thanks for correcting my mistakes, Somewhere!
  12. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Flying Anonymoose would you please make your sig smaller. We don't mind a small sig, but we rather do not have 'm that big.
  13. Flying Anonymoose

Steam:
    I'll just remove it until I can go back and fix it in an editing software