1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

I may have bought items from a hijacked account, what is my next step?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by andrew 2, Aug 1, 2013.

1. andrew 2

andrew 2 Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:28817729
    I recently bought about 3 pairs of buds off a guy for 33$ each. The conversation became more aggressive with him wanting to sell his other 3 pairs. He then traded me and ordered me to take the other 3 and pay him back later (I expected this to be a reserve type deal of my funds (yes I know, stupid of me) and accepted them) So this pretty much spells out disaster as I now have 6 buds that are from a hijacked account I think.
    When I sent the payment via email he wanted me to include "No refunds" in the description which I thought as normal.

I don't know what to do next, hopefully someone here can give me some advice. This account may not be hijacked but it seems really suspicious and happened to fast for me to catch it.
  2. andrew 2

Steam:
    Extra: I forgot to mention I sold one for 22 keys when he had initially sold me the first 2 buds. I didn't even think twice about it.

I won't touch the buds and 22 keys I received until this mess gets figured out. Any advice?
  3. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Is the guy SR tagged? (It sounds like if he is you didn't know when you traded him).

If you are simply thinking his account could be "hijacked", well difficult to know. Certainly if it is a hijacked account, the owner would in all probability submit a ticket to Valve for resolution, and then the "buds" could be a problem, since Valve may remove them.

You owe the guy money from the sounds of it, so you either return the three buds or pay for them, to do anything else is plainly wrong. You might want to contact as SR Admin privately, they may be able to offer a view about any possible hijacking, if not it is a waiting game to see if Valve becomes involved.
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

1. make a ticket to steam support, prove you paid for 3 of them. and tell them of the "deal" about the other 3, and tell them you intend to give those back to the owner once he regained his account.
    2. Once the account has been redeemed, you return the 3 buds.
    3. Contact Helen to make sure things go as should. She's a couple days to the DOTA2 international event or w/e that is tho, so that will be next week when she can.
  5. andrew 2

Steam:
    I checked earlier today and I can confirm it was hijacked, the original owner has regained possession of it. I did check SR before even buying anything and he had checked out with no marks.

I will make a steam ticket later after work and see how I can get this worked out, hopefully I can contact the original owner and work this out.
  6. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    The genuine account holder would have had to put in a ticket to regain account (unlikely some hijacker is going restore his pass hehe). Certainly a good idea to contact Valve (you can link them to this thread too).

From the sounds of it you bought the items in good faith, but had misgivings about the seller and thus posted here. If this is so, well no fault would lie with you and thus no onus of restitution. Valve often restores stolen items (often removing them from BP they ended up in as first port of call). Naturally I have no idea what they may or may not do in this case, if you wish to be an amazingly nice guy and contact owner, even if it just to commiserate or share info, well I think that would be great.