1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

I think someone lowballed me a promo item.

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by The Scammer is the spy, Jul 14, 2012.

1. The Scammer is the spy

The Scammer is the spy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:51533359
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    no idea, lack of details, and lowballing isn't scamming, just soon to be sharks maybe. Maybe report as shark on AF2 or UTC or so.
  3. The Scammer is the spy

The Scammer is the spy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:51533359
    Can you put link to AF2 since it wasnt a unusual?
  4. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
  5. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    I would suggest providing details as so we can forward you to the right place.
  6. dragonhuman

dragonhuman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:25985902
    Well there's people that intentionally shark/ lowball, but then there's people who don't know the value of things.

I got offered 4 ref for a white bills before, so what?
    Back when I started trading I offered a fetti Frenchman beret and like 5 ref for a searing chieftains challenge (buds were 8 ref)

Sometimes people know prices, sometimes people don't.
  7. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    It is prudent for all traders to remember there is onus upon them to be aware of the relative value of the things they offer for sale.

TF2 Items have no intrinsic value, and the arbitrary figures we deem them to be worth are quite rubbery.

While Sharking is currently beyond the scope of SR, at bare minimum you people need to understand that just as crimes at law require certain "elements" to be satisfied to be valid in a court, so to in this game. There must be an element of deceit or misrepresentation.

To call someone a scammer for offering you 3 keys for your 8 keys bills hat for example is just perverse for example, since unless there is clear proof the person tried to obtain advantage by deceit, then the possible variables involved are manifestly too diverse to make any judgement call as to the trade offer.

In other words a "scam" has a set of clear definitions, and there must be sufficient evidence in a proper format to substantiate any such claims.

It is unfortunate that newer players do not always research trading and relative prices and often make bad choices. Far more unfortunate are the serial sharks, often hunting in packs, yet until SR makes the simple change to policy and gives themselves an "opt in" clause, the only thing standing against them are individuals and sites in the community.

So as a buyer "caveat emptor" and the self-same caution should apply to sellers also.
  8. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    Lets also consider that new players sometimes unintentianlly mega lowball. I had someone try to get my vintage physicians procedure mask for a vintage football helm. had less then 100 hours gaming. I explained to them that all vintage hats have different prices based on market supply/demand and pointed them to the spreadsheet. i warned them that although it has all the prices listed they are A: not always accurate and B: not a pricelist but rather as a general guide to know approximately what the going prices of past trades are averaged at.

I wouldnt call them sharks or report them on af2 for that.
  9. HAK

HAK New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:29044036
    lowballs are part of the everyday activity YOU WILL FACE when trading in TF 2. This will be even more common as you approach to selling unusuals.

Learn to ignore them.