1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Interesting Scam Predicament

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Naku, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Naku

Naku New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:195608627
    Hello SteamRep community,

Let me start by introducing myself, I am currently under the alias Naku.
    Essentially, while I was away, my cousins took over my account and used it to scam someone. After being jokingly accused of scamming by one of the people on my friends list, I checked my inventory history and saw that my account actually was used to scam. I am aware that it is my fault for leaving access to my account open, however I have attempted to make contact with the victim and refund him out of my own pocket (I am awaiting his response.)

After admitting to my account being involved in a scam, the "friend" in question threatened to report me to steamrep if i did not send him my knife (which incidentally was scammed from me a few days prior. )

Not quite sure what I should be doing in this situation. Please see screenshot evidence below.
    Was unable to find his account after he unadded + blocked me.

Thanks,
    Naku

Attached Files:

2. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    Scamming is scamming. Your account's security is your business. If you receive a report and there is enough evidence for a mark, you will need to prove that the account used to scam wasn't under your possession during the time it was being used to scam people.
  3. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    You are responsible for your account at all times- that is Valve's stance, that is ours.
  4. Naku

Naku New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:195608627
    I'm aware that I am completely responsible for my own account in this situation. If I do get banned, is there any chance I can appeal, by showing proof of refund to the victims, etc. How would I even prove that I did not have access to my account at the time? And is there any sort of violation pertaining to how the person in question tried to blackmail me?
  5. Emunator

Emunator New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:64241477
    I understand you are not currently marked on steamrep, however for future reference I'm going to link some useful threads regarding appealing if the time comes;

You can appeal here if needed(If you are ever marked): https://forums.steamrep.com/forums/appeal/
    I do highly recommend you read ALL of this thread here before submitting an appeal if it is ever required: https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/appeal-tips.66354/
    (Pay close attention to #9, something alot of people seem to not do before making an appeal)

Although you are not marked, you should return the items to the scammed victims, screenshot the full chat (With proper screenshots) and the trade history confirming the return of items was indeed successful. Do this for both record sake to confirm you did infact refund the victims and as it is the right thing to do.

As for the 'blackmailing', no steam user can give you a tradeban nor do anything to your account other than report it to valve. Take no notice of what he is saying.
    Unless he is one of the victims, don't give him any items.