1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is Steams's Voice Over IP Secure in 2018?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Briskteas CS.MONEY, May 24, 2018.

1. Briskteas CS.MONEY

Briskteas CS.MONEY New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:152235088
  2. Briskteas CS.MONEY

Briskteas CS.MONEY New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:152235088
    If you dont trust links, (I dont blame you) heres the image uploaded.

Attached Files:

• help.png
      help.png
      File size:
      118.6 KB
      Views:
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    If you accept a voice chat call over Steam, you will connect directly to their computer for the voice chat, and not through Steam's servers. That means, unlike Discord or a small handful of other platforms, if the other person is running any kind of network analysis tool, they can trivially obtain your IP address.

That said, what someone can do with your IP is rather limited. With rare exceptions, they cannot determine your location beyond a ballpark estimate (within ~50 miles usually). They can't find your real name from it either unless they work for the company who services your internet connection. The only practical use for griefers/scammers like you pictured is to attempt to launch a DDoS (very illegal) to disconnect you from the internet - common for streamers and high ranking competitive players - and hope you don't know how to change it. So yes he probably has it, but I wouldn't worry much. He's just trying to scare you.
  4. Zoofie_

Zoofie_ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:428249578
    I recommend not answering steam calls, keep in mind now they can only obtain your ip if you answer.