1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is this a scam tactic?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Mesh, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Mesh

Mesh New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:51231220
    I keeps getting invites to groups that are almost all identical in layout, and name, and it's always an invite from a 'throw away' steam account.

Here are three of the invites, (I've had maybe six more previously that I just ignored):
    new scam.png

The groups are always near identical:
    new scam p2.png

The account's inviting me are 'throw aways', example being:
    new scam p3.png

Now my question is, is this a scam tactic? How does it work? And how / what should I do to report them if it is?
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Maybe and report the groups to Valve.
    Not enough to say a user that sent the invite is guilty as they may be just a member and just sending out invites for a prize.
  3. Mesh

Mesh New User

Steam:
    Sorry on your second point for some of the group there's only one member in the group so could you assume they are guilty?
  4. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Hard to say - could just be who was left after someone else was in charge.. just report the group to valve and decline the invite.
  5. Mesh

Mesh New User

Steam:
    Okay thank for your help
  6. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    either spamming invites to get referral points to those sites or promoting fake gambling sites
  7. TomatoSenpai

TomatoSenpai New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:178794746
    You usually will get more invites from them if you have more valuable items, if you have, for example, a knife that cost +$500 then the scammers will come and try to scam you, greetings
  8. Caustle

Caustle New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:77282680
    It's a scam, it's a website that fakes your winnings, and would ask you to put a downpayment so you can collect the items. Don't fall for it.
  9. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    The website may be.. but what the Op asked about getting invites may not be.
  10. alkon

alkon SteamRep Moderator

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:54985637
    I would say 99% of those group invites are scam or just ref spammers like already said. I've actually got a bot for myself, which will ignore them. Same goes for people who invite you, but in my history, I got 1 or 2 legit people who invited me to the group.