1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is this guy a scam?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Smith\//\, May 3, 2016.

1. Smith\//\

Smith\//\ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:55947081
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    No idea what you mean? Explain
  3. schmed

schmed r/globaloffensivetrade moderator Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52746850
    Based off of his membership to the RepBoost steam group and his comment within the group, I would avoid him - especially any deal that involves trust.

It is good idea for you to read this guide, on what constitutes reputation. ;)

Best of luck with your trades, stay safe!
  4. Smith\//\

Smith\//\ New User

Steam:
    Just based on the fact hes using an accoutn for 3 years but only has +rep from april 18th
  5. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
  6. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    +1 to what enstage said.

To me, anyone who has large amounts of vague profile rep and attempts to use it as their sole form of rep is more likely, not less likely, to be a scammer.

I've done well identifying scammers with one simple trick: If they have an intimidating-looking "trade rules" thing in their profile like that guy does, then they're a scammer. This is compounded by having a private/worthless inventory.
  7. Edward.

Edward. SteamRep Admin Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:30537130
    Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:30537130
    Hello @Smith\//\

I would advise to just delete that user and try to stay away for multiple reasons. That user might try to deceive you with a common "Counter Offer" scam, as described on his Steam profile if you just read it, unfortunately this is a very common scam nowadays so beware of that. If he says you must send the "items" first so he can "Counter-Offer" that after just decline that and do a normal trade, your item(s) for his item(s). You can find more information about common "OPSkins", "Counter-Offer" scams and similar, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/opskins/comments/4742c4/common_scams_to_watch_out_for/ .
    Second thing I would like to mention that you should never believe or take Steam profile reputation into consideration as legitimate reputation, if he tries to indicate that he is a "legit trader" because of his Steam profile "+reps" that should be another red flag that you should notice. Check the guide on SteamRep "What Constitutes reputation" what Enstage mentioned above, alternatively you can check other useful guides on SR so you can learn more about all of this in general.
  8. Bob the Trader

Bob the Trader New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35112492
    Looks like any of the scammers.
    • Artwork showing expensive trade skins
    • Screenshot showcase of expensive skins hes holding
    • Inventory is worth nothing (Good indication for a scammer)
    • +rep boosting
    • And the typical "Trade rules" which says "This is the Only account I use for trading and buy/trade"
    I always wondered if these scammers have some kind of guide, because they all make the same profile. OR they are just plain stupid (I think it's the 2nd)
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  9. Smith\//\

Smith\//\ New User

Steam:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I've read most of what you have linked now. Thanks for the info. Is it really that hard to just find a normal trader. I'd like to think its not but so far everyone is scum.
  10. Bob the Trader

Bob the Trader New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35112492
    Of course there are many good traders. Just keep your eyes open for scammers. Where there is money, there are people trying to take it away.

If you want to cash out your item, I suggest OPSkins, have used their service before and I'm really happy about it.
  11. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366