1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is Valve friends with SteamRep?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Tumor, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Tumor

Tumor Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:179643005
    I've had this frequent question pop up in my head. Does valve use SteamRep as like a source to determine rather to trade ban a scammer or something? I reported a scammer today and he got banned on SR and he got trade banned the same day also which I thought was pretty entertaining. So does Valve use SR as a source against scammers?
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  2. Zoofie_

Zoofie_ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:428249578
    Valve does their own thing. Most of the people who make a report on here also report the user on their profile and alot have been recommended to report them on their profile by sr staff.
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    As stated on every page, Valve does not have any kind of official relationship with SteamRep. We know little if anything about how trade bans are issued ourselves, so the most we could do to answer is speculate. We also don't routinely forward scam reports to Valve.

That said, it is possible the scam report and subsequent mark was factored into Valve's decision, especially if you linked their accepted report when reporting through Steam. Speaking from experience, it's more likely that you reporting the scammer's profile in Steam is what got Valve's attention.
    a Gentleman and Roudydogg1 like this.
  4. Tumor

Tumor Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:179643005
    Yeah but literally after 20 minutes of reporting that scammer on steamrep and getting banned on SR got trade banned. So I thought Valve maybe used it as a factor like you said @Lava
  5. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    Another way to phrase the answer would be that we don't know whether Valve includes our marks in their metrics for issuing trade bans. Based on what some staff members have seen, reporting a scammer's profile on Steam may be more of an attention-grabber for ban-issuing system. Like Lava said, the most we can do is speculate.
  6. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    It's always possible the report was related, but what you described isn't typical. Odd timing sure, but probably still a coincidence.
  7. sinnysenpai

sinnysenpai New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:113260511
    I couldn't see Valve working with a website like SteamRep, I feel like they're more... independent.