1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted | LZ | Gentleman's Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Archived Applications' started by a Gentleman, Sep 23, 2015.

1. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    1) SteamRep ID block pasted from your SR profile.

| steamname: Gentleman
    | steam3ID: [U:1:51981162]
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:0:25990581
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198012246890
    | customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/WestVillage
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198012246890

2) Are you at least 18 years of age? Timezone and nation of residence?

I am 19. My time zone is EST and I live in the United States.

3) Please tell us about yourself (job, school, hobbies, etc)?

I am a sophomore in university. I spend a large part of my time contributing to causes and foundations, and the rest playing sports. I am an advocate for universal access to education, digital privacy, and internet freedom.

4) Why do you want to become a SteamRep moderator?

I want to contribute to something that is aligned with my values and goals. SteamRep combats online fraud in the gaming community, so I believe that this is where my time and effort can be best spent.

Also things like this make me smile.

5) How much time can you devote to SteamRep per week?

45+ hours per week. When traveling (5 - 8 weeks every year), I can put in 15 - 20 hours.

6) Do you have any prior administrative experience, or similar (please elaborate)?

I recently joined Lethal Zone as a trade admin, and have been actively processing reports there.

I recently was promoted from mod to admin at /r/GlobalOffensiveTrade Server.

I am a a middleman at Skial, and am listed on SteamRep's MM page.

I moderate /r/Pins4Skins, /r/LearnCSGO, and /r/RandomActsofCSGO.

I handle private reports on /r/Pins4Skins, but refer every case to SteamRep, LZ, or FoG either way.

I have been helping out on SteamRep as well.

7) What challenges do you foresee if you become a moderator?

I tend to be anal about uncropped screenshots. Not sure if letting my standards for this particular pet peeve fall a little would help with report response times, but it is something to consider.

8) Can you accept the fact that you must enforce SteamRep rules and guidelines?

Yes.

9) Do you feel you will have any issues denying / accepting reports and appeals?

I would consult with others regarding incredibly complex or controversial reports. Otherwise, no issues.

10) Do you handle instruction and direction well?

Yes. I learn quickly and like to take the initiative to improve.

11) What do you feel are your personal shortcomings or attributes you can improve on?

I am very involved. That means I cannot put in overtime. I should really free up some more time to be available for non-forum issues that may pop up on SR, like graphic design or game server integration.

12) What contributions do you believe you will be able to make to SteamRep?

Report Handling. Forum Lurking for people that need help and people that really need help. Community Relations. Grant Writing. Branding and Design. 501c3/EIN issues with OFPF…

...but I’ll stick to handling reports unless I’m otherwise needed.

13) Do you have any interest in eventually becoming an SR Admin? If so, what kinds of things would you like to do? (Example- community relations, appeals, scam reports, etc.)

Yes. Community/Public Relations. Appeals if needed. Administrative aspects as well.

14) Please list all alternate Steam accounts using SteamRep ID blocks.

15) Do you agree to the Code of Conduct and agree to abide by it?

I agree to the Code of Conduct. I agree to abide by it.

16) Have you read the Duties of SR Moderators post and understand it?

I have read it. I understand it.

17) (If applicable) List Steam trading communities you are / have been active on and in what capacity (user, mod, admin), also give a link to the account(s) there.

Lethal Zone (Trade Admin) - https://lethal.zone/members/lz-gentleman.1003/

/r/GlobalOffensiveTrade Server (Admin, previously Mod) - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GOTradeServerAdminsAndMods

FoG (Lurking/Alt Research for Reports) - http://forums.f-o-g.eu/members/gentleman.html

/r/Pins4Skins (Trading, Modding) - https://www.reddit.com/user/OGentleman/

Skial (Official Middleman) - https://www.skial.com/members/gentleman.29520/

CSGO Pin Group (Admin) - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/collectiblepins (Not active, just removing marked users)

18) Do you have any questions?

Not any more.
  2. schmed

schmed r/globaloffensivetrade moderator Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52746850
    As an owner of /r/GlobalOffensiveTrade Server, I would like to give Gentleman a HUGE recommendation. He has been a helpful and hard working moderator in our community and I know that he would be an invaluable asset to SteamRep. I know that vouches are not required, but I would like to give mine to Gentleman. Best of luck with your application!

schmed
    (Speaking on behalf of /r/GlobalOffensiveTrade Server)
    a Gentleman and Cyborg like this.
  3. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    Finally!
    Cyborg likes this.
  4. -hg- COBALT

-hg- COBALT New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42037753
    I've seen you around quite a bit here on the SR forums, and at LZ, and from what I've seen, I think you'd be a great addition to the staff. Courteous, active, professional, and always friendly. You've got my support as well should it be needed.

Good luck on SR!
    ~Cobalt
    schmed and Cyborg like this.
  5. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    @| LZ | Gentleman , is not the most experienced person I have ever seen but he has my vouch for his effort, report handling here ( helping) and on LZ. When I started as a mod I didn't had much experience but I was able to learn and to grow up in here. I hope to see you in our team, GL!
    schmed and Cyborg like this.
  6. a Gentleman

Steam:
    Thank you for your honest vouch - I'm always looking to learn, and am glad to be helping out either way. See you around LZ, SR, and FoG, Tio! :)
  7. n33dweed

n33dweed Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:48789606
  8. Salmon

Steam:
    [​IMG]
    Cyborg likes this.
  9. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    Thank you for applying to join the Steamrep staff! Your application is now under review.
    Katpolice, schmed, Cyborg and 7 others like this.
  10. Hitman Sparky

Hitman Sparky User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13772726
    Good luck. Hopefully you'll actually make it
    schmed, Cyborg, Enstage and 1 other person like this.
  11. Yossef the Brony

Yossef the Brony New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:24859915
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative).**
  12. a Gentleman

Steam:
    @Yossef the Brony , if there is an issue with my application, please tell me what I should be doing (or not doing) to improve. Thanks!
  13. a Gentleman

Steam:
    Updated:

- clarification of login locations for the Alts section of the application (hidden notes)
    - relevant experience (hidden notes, LinkedIn)
    - dedicated hours (rationale: I am taking a break from working until the start of Summer, and am able to take on a larger brunt of reviewing and processing.)
    - related trading communities (I recently became a Skial MM and am listed on SteamRep's MM page.)
    - related trading communities (Due to my Skial MMship, I've rescinded management of the /r/Pins4Skins Middlemen and am transitioning that to someone else.)

Once again, I stress that I'd like to be as much of an open book as possible. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to post them here.
    Some concerns that others have mentioned when I asked them about my application:

1. You are involved in a lot of communities, how do you have time for that?
    A lot of the work involved with reddit communities (/r/RandomActsofCSGO, /r/Pins4Skins, and even /r/LearnCSGO) is reading modmail and flairing people. It takes up minimal time - if there are reports to be made I refer them to SR or a Partner Community. The report processing I do over at Lethal Zone takes work and research, but the volume of incoming reports is low enough that it also isn't a significant barrier to my time spent on the computer. MMing for Skial (in the past Pins4Skins) takes up the most time, but it's already time spent hovering on forums and exchanges anyways.

I get involved in these communities because I want to educate the community and help curb online fraud. Here's an example: I've uploaded a conversation I had with a Skial Admin regarding my middleman application there. It should give enough of a backgrounder for what my focus is. Warning: Some very frank and blunt reasoning is dealt out in the screenshot. This is about as transparent as it gets!

2. You've only been on SteamRep for a year, shouldn't you wait?
    No, because SteamRep has a backlog of reports several Himalayas in size and they need more capable hands on deck. I believe that I am capable of taking instructions and training to heart and applying them to how I process reports. I have also been processing reports over at Lethal Zone, which has very similar investigative policies.

That's about it for now. Thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    schmed and Salmon like this.
  14. ☠Crⓔⓔp☠

☠Crⓔⓔp☠ Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:101118723
    This guy is middleman from skial now.
  15. a Gentleman

Steam:
    As stated in the post directly above yours, as well as on my forum sig - indeed I am. I also appreciate your comment on my profile.

Attached Files:

schmed and Roudydogg1 like this.
  16. Salmon

Steam:
    Will you be changing your name to reflect all the communities you represent? I can only imagine the mess of tags you're going to have to deal with on your name.
  17. a Gentleman

Steam:
    No.

SteamRep doesn't endorse or allow forum name changes. You know that. Mine was altered when I received a Partner Community tag to better reflect my Steam moniker.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Roudydogg1, Salmon and Enstage like this.
  18. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    I usually don't comment on applications, but I decided that if I ever was going to this should be the one. I believe Gentleman has extensive experience that will allow him to seamlessly transition into the role of moderator; personally it looks as if he has demonstrated how active he will be regardless of whether he receives the role or not.
    a Gentleman and Salmon like this.
  19. a Gentleman

Steam:
    Updated:

- related trading communities (Became chat mod over at CSGOBig. Awesome staff looking to integrate SteamRep APi into their site. Not sure if I'm interested in doing this in the long run. Just helping out.)
    - clarification for related trading communities (Forgot to note: I'm an admin of the CS:GO Pins Group but I don't really do much there, except hop on once in a while to kick out marked scammers.)
    - alternate account (Recently got a VAC Ban for testing out a community market scraper. Details in hidden notes.)
    - dedicated hours (Making even more time for the possibility of helping process reports!)
    - removed (Irrelevant question on my original post that has since been answered.)

Hidden Notes:

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    schmed likes this.
  20. a Gentleman

Steam:
    Updated:

- related trading communities (/r/GlobalOffensiveTrade Server has chosen to promote me from Moderator to Admin. Extremely excited to join @schmed, @Pr1me, and the rest of the team.)
    Salmon and schmed like this.