1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Making a scammer miserable

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by -o-0PtiCz |-|aZeRr-o-, May 31, 2014.

1. -o-0PtiCz |-|aZeRr-o-

-o-0PtiCz |-|aZeRr-o- New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21725058
  2. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    The error is normally to do with the player name. Sometimes if it has weird characters that messes it up
  3. [G²] Scatman

[G²] Scatman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45015208
    if it was a paypal chargeback, and you have evidence tying his paypal email to his steam email, and agreements between you two you could file a lawsuit/try and take him to court.
    Of course that's gonna cost money to do, which is why if it was <500$ i wouldnt reccomend. All your descion, but you could file a lawsuit and such to force him to give the money back
  4. -o-0PtiCz |-|aZeRr-o-

-o-0PtiCz |-|aZeRr-o- New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21725058
    I have pretty little evidence, I haven't got any of his paypal information.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Your lawyer will be able to "ask" Valve for all the information is my guess. Information like:
    - Email addresses registered to the account
    - Payment information used on the account.
    - IP's the account was active on, and on which date/time.
    - Linked (alt) accounts based on above information.
    - Other issues known with the account.

Digital items are perceived as "goods" to the law in many western countries, for there is a market, and ppl are buying it with real life $$$. The case can be made that a item was worth and X amount by showing various trade options (from your item to a common item, like buds or keys, and what value those are sold by valve and on the market etc)
  6. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    Problem is, (s)he could easily make a fake email and use steam via VPNs etc. to hide who they really are.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    True, and then the chase begins. for with that IP info you then go after its users at that time, either the person you seek, or its intermediary, till you are there.

Costly endeavor, low chance etc.