1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Declined Mass Crabbing Co.

Discussion in 'Archived Applications' started by AwesomeX, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AwesomeX

AwesomeX New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19431058
    After thinking on this subject for a little while, I believe it is a bit silly to allow marked players on the server, as it's just extra work for us to warn our members not to trade with them.

So with that being said, I've decided to set the plugin to block any officially marked scammer from entering the MassCC's server, allowing the workload to be slightly less for me and my staff, along with making the server a safer place to play, trade, and bet in.

Just a note as well, as I forgot to mention it. In the past, if there was a marked scammer on the server, they weren't allowed to bet/trade/win giveaways. So that adds to the fact that allowing marked scammers on the server was a bad idea, as the marked players wouldn't really be able to do anything, other then take up a player slot.
  2. Siminator55

Siminator55 Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:76193357
    Did i ever say im Unhappy with the ban? I know that im Banned and I know that AwesomeX Can ban anyone, its just the Fact that hes pretty much hosting a Scamming server and if users join they just get harassed until they leave.
  3. AwesomeX

AwesomeX New User

Steam:
    "hosting a Scamming server" are you serious?

I don't call two people willingly betting against each other scamming.

It's not my fault people have become accustomed to the games.

And if people are harassing others to bet over and over again, we'll give them proper punishment.
  4. prodigyaustralia

prodigyaustralia New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52814116
    I don't play Tf2 or what ever, Nor do I care about his application, Nor do I know this guy. But read my post. I said:
    Code:
    If you're unhappy about the ban or what ever else is happening on the server contact the community/ server admins. If you feel the activities ran on the server are fraudulent then report them.
    So if you actually have an issue with activities or server itself please report them and actually bring the evidence. Rather than complaining about it.
    Stop derailing his thread, it isn't fair on him.
  5. prodigyaustralia

prodigyaustralia New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52814116
    I clicked on code by accident sorry :X
  6. AwesomeX

AwesomeX New User

Steam:
    Just a quick update.

I've recently revamped the MassCC's official map, and along with adding some new games. We've decided to ban any betting in Tic-Tac-Toe.
    Players are still free to play and enjoy the game, but there's new rules and signs around the map, that tell players its against the rules.

I was personally tired of having people message me and my staff at all hours of the day to help them with that game, it got to the point where we didn't even have to guess what game they were betting on.
    It was always TTT..

But that's over and done with now, so things should be all good now!
  7. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    I haven't done any research at all into your server or anything but a quick question:

If you're offering betting games, why not also offer an automated middleman? I'm actually surprised no one has made automated server-based gambling for spycrabbing etc.
  8. AwesomeX

AwesomeX New User

Steam:
    I honestly wouldn't have the skill in creating an automated bot. :D
  9. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Unrelated to this individual community, but automated middlemen bots are extremely dangerous. There's a myriad of things admins can recognize whether it's obvious scammer alts, or unfair terms that a bot can not.
    Enstage and Roudydogg1 like this.
  10. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    I meant more in the aspect that it appears he has games on his server, things which can be detected serverside.

But yeah, there are probably too many ways to edge out abuse on it to be worth trying to run such a thing.
  11. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    While a bot in practice would be nice, there's far too many intricacies that I don't think a bot can replicate.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  12. 404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:28177988
    Really? You didn't notice the same thing in my community application? I don't kick or ban marked scammers as I believe in giving second chances. I even had a marked scammer join and bet on a minigame against one of my regulars, and he paid up and became a regular himself. I've had no issues of scamming from him. Scammers still get tagged in chat with [SCAMMER] tags though and there's always the message that displays when they join informing everyone on the server that they're a marked scammer.

A side reason as to why I don't kick/ban marked scammers is from my own personal experience when I was falsely labelled as a scammer as a result of a stupid situation involving several Facepunch users and a corrupt (now former) TF2Outpost admin who was also a Facepunch user. Half the servers I'd try to join ran the SteamRep plugin and I'd either be kicked on connect or outright banned. Do you know how annoying that is, especially when you yourself know you've done nothing wrong and were a victim of a stupid situation?

But hey, AwesomeX has chosen to kick/ban labelled scammers and it's obvious why. It's for the same reason that he asked me not to post in here; he likes SteamRep and wants to be affiliated with you guys and so he's trying to abide by the SteamRep guidelines to increase the chances of becoming an affiliate. And I have a tendency to make an arse of myself sometimes and that could reflect poorly on AwesomeX and his community, as I host the server for him.

Everything you guys have pointed out about his server and how it could "negatively impact his application", he's gone and changed. And yet my server is incredibly similar to his but nobody has bothered me about anything on my application.

Hopefully this reply does not make you guys think negatively about AwesomeX and his community, as he is a good guy and he's got a good community too.

Oh look, it's the guy who filed a report against me with no evidence whatsoever, wraught with insinuations that I was scamming people who donated for special donator benefits, in an attempt to kill off donations to my server. And now you've moved on to badgering a friend of mine whose server is hosted by me.

Seriously though Siminator, just stop. It's blatantly obvious that you have a vendetta of sorts against servers that run donator systems or servers that have banned you for being a nuisance.
  13. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    While I do not want to derail this thread, I find it would be a mistake not to address this. The second chances given to those who are banned are their appeals, having them on a server is just putting everyone else in the server at risk. I'm glad to hear you had someone who was banned end up not scamming others, but many will. Many individuals are repeat offenders, some tens or hundreds of times over.

There's a larger responsibility of just giving it a once over, and moreover, these users may only be behaving when you have staff on. There's over 15,000 banned users, no community has the man power to review each person and make sure they're clear to enter, and exposing new or inexperienced users is unnecessary. The entire of using the [Scammer] tag to deter people is, in my personal opinion, something of a falsity. The majority of users who are going to trade or gamble against a marked scammer to begin with are going to be users that are new to trading, and don't know or understand SR. In addition to that, it's easy for many banned users to talk their way out of their bans, saying that it was just a weird mistake, or a glitch or etc. I've been in servers where marked scammers claim that the "[Scammer]" tags they bear are merely a joke placed on them by their "friend" who is an "admin".

The belief that communities should be actively supporting and working against fraud isn't something done to hurt scammers, it is to protect the community. These users have the chance to appeal, to speak with a staff member or to not commit a scam to begin with. They chose to scam and others should be protected from that. Especially the most vulnerable of those groups.

I've seen you mention this before. You were banned on SR, and you use it as a reason not to trust SR bans. However, doesn't the fact that your ban was removed and appeal processed also lend you faith? The idea that the bans in error are corrected and that invalid bans removed. You use your ban as a reason not to trust SR bans, but negate the fact that your appeal serves as the opposite, a reason to have faith in the bans that SR levies. Bans are under intense scrutiny, there's an extensive appeals review, there's public review and communal review. Bans aren't placed for entertainment value, they're reviewed and evaluated. And some bans have been invalid, mistakes have been made. But they've also been corrected. If you are going to hold SR responsible for your ban, then also hold us responsible for your appeal. A mistake may have been made, but it was corrected and you should trust that will be done with any invalid bans.
  14. 404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:28177988
    Gonna reply via your profile, mmk?
  15. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  16. Inu

Inu TF2Bazaar Owner Retired Staff Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:62120987
    Thank you for your application but we are rejecting it based on issues with your integrity standards on multiple levels and simply can not identify with that. Regardless, I wish the best of luck to your community.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.