1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Never ending rep circle

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by I'm a noob, Apr 12, 2013.

1. I'm a noob

I'm a noob New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:49758774
    I have a clean history of steam rep and no scams on record.

I just recently started trying to buy some keys and buds from offers on tf2outpost.com. I found a guy who seemed to have pretty good prices and I liked his steamrep. I added the guy we talked for a bit, when he asked for my steam rep I gave him a link to my profile on this site not even fully undertanding what sourceOP was. After a while of talking (I made it clear to him I would go first in trade) he told me he wasn't willing to do it for the fact that I did not have sourceOP rep.

So basically my question is, how can I get rep for a trade when I need to trade to get rep? Is there any type of a middleman option or something I can use?
  2. Zyddie

Zyddie New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23306550
    The older traders tends to have a 15-20 USD limit for people without rep, wich is a good way to start getting rep on sourceop, however for the trade to be allowed to get rep on SOP you have to follow the SOP rules for trades.
    Tho you can always start with selling stuff and gain rep that way or as said find some of the older traders that have the 15-20 USD limit.
  3. I'm a noob

I'm a noob New User

Steam:
    That's pretty helpful, thank you
  4. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    As to MM option, a reputable trader should always be willing to use a reputable MM (from SR MM list or very know know server Admin etc).

You are correct that quality rep (SourceOP etc) is very hard to get since it not only demand money trades, but trades wholly on SOP. Vicious catch 22 for sure, but remember people are not going to "go first" and put themselves in jeopardy without being very sure of where the "rep" comes from, which is why SOP has such a good standing in the community.
  5. Zyddie

Zyddie New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23306550
    feel free to add me, and i will help you out with the SOP part, been there for quite some time.
  6. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    That's right, I started like this, sellign hats/items with low value at start then i have been lucky and unbox unusuals, that I sold, this way I built my reputation.
    Important thing : dont create a sourceop rep thread if you don't have a sale thread, read the rules on SOP.
    Wish you good luck and happy trading mate.
  7. Teeird

Teeird New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44724269
    I would like to point out that you'll find a plentiful amount of great MMs on reputable servers like MCT/TF2-T.
  8. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Indeed, people like Thidran (MCT) and similar Admins can usually help out, or SR MM listed people.
  9. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45707254
    May I also suggest you go first on a SourceOP trade with someone who does have a large reputation thread?
  10. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    On the comment of middlemen for money trades. Guys. Middle men can NOT guarantee that someone will chargeback the payment AFTER the trade is completed.

If you have no credit in real life (equal to rep) you can still get a small loan for a computer or a tv purchase. Once you pay that off and get a few credit cards and use them monthly and pay off the balances you build credit score (like rep). Eventually with a high enough score you can get a mortgage or even as high as an unsecured line of credit (very good score to get this). If you are fresh out of school and go to a bank and say "I am a hard working student, I have no credit, but I just got a really good paying job and want a car loan, a house loan and an open unsecured line of credit" do you think they will give you all right away? Even if you have no bad credit score (marked account)? It applies the same way.
  11. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Thats what the financial crisis was and is all about... ppl needing to have credit to "score" up. Ppl taking a credit as soon as their child is born on the baby's name, and pay off on that for their entire childhood, to get the kid once he's 18 or 21 the highest credit score they can. Its stupid to give "score" on somebody that pays up debs to get a higher debt. Thats not trust, thats just the the "results of the past give no warranty to the future" or w/e crap sentence they give you when you invest to tell you that while they advertise with high percentage of profit, its no warranty, while on the other side they do the debt score carding. It obviously didn't work, for otherwise we wouldn't have been in the financial crisis to begin with.

Trust is a (wo)man's WORD (s)he gave, and that word only gets worth more over time in dealing with people, and what (s)he did or does. The money (or not) on the bank doesn't say s✿✿✿ about somebody's trustfulness.

If something I learned in the many years, its that ppl rich and poor are equal in that. I've seen scammers that had all the money they already need, but still where stealing, and poor ppl scamming to earn a extra buck for their family. But I also see rich and poor not scamming, but being in trust positions around, being admin. Its a very different thing vs a official money system then vs a online trading community.

You try to compare those 2 systems, while they are utterly incompatible. Ppl break their personal trust line when they scam. Their word isn't worth anything anymore then, and cannot be trusted by others. Thats the basis of it.
    VenGanZa likes this.
  12. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17721741
    There's tons of people who will trade with guys with no rep.
  13. I'm a noob

I'm a noob New User

Steam:
    I never expected this many responses...
    Thanks
  14. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    very deep and very philosophical. I was merely trying to put the whole system in a different light so he understands how rep works and how it grows.

Not looking to get into a deep discussion about this but that was the mere point of my post. nothing less, nothing more.