1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

New trading policy.

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by AcesGamer, Nov 19, 2012.

1. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Thats still not VAC bans... And "Steam Moderators/Admins", thats supposed to be "Steam Support" ?

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  2. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17721741
    This still isn't even close to being good enough. They need to make authenticating mandatory, or at the very least provide that as an option. I highly suggest to anyone to add a gmail account to your steam, and make sure you have two step verification on it.
    As for what else valve can do, they need to make it much, much, much more difficult to scam the system to get your stuff 'recovered'. They should really just remove the option of item restoring all together, which will be an enticing option once Valve adds authentication. Because if you have an extra layer of security, theres no way you can get your account compromised. If they did this though, I would imagine they would need to remove the option of account recovery through CD keys, which is all and all a good thing, since that's the main way people seem to get their accounts compromised.
  3. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    I higly doubt that will stop scammers :) they just have to wait for 15 days, use fake/stolen CC and then get back to scamming.
    That reduce the amount of scammers maybe yeah, but trust me steamrep admins/mods will still have work to do :S
  4. Roshling

Roshling New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52924970
    How can I get out of this 15 days? I always open steam guard since i created my account, but on 12/10/2012 (mm/dd/yy) I turn it off to went to an internet coffe to play with my friend since I think that "no action required on your part" note... But I after went to internet coffer and login into my account, i turned it on right away, why do I need to wait 15 days to trade?

I turn off steam guard 'cause I don't know to wasted time in enter code... It was a bit late that day and I want everything quick... Can somebody tell me how to comeback to trade without waiting?
  5. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    You can't. You absolutely have to wait 15 days.
  6. Roshling

Roshling New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52924970
    T_______T they should reduce to 3 or 4 days if the player just turn-off it... and turn-on again... T____T
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

My guestimate is, that they absolutely want to prevent that with a hijack, a hijacker can access the money on a account they hijacked. 3-4 days is too short for Steam Support to be able to respond and establish one was trully hijacked, ask questions etc. 15 days means that a hijacked person can file a steam support ticket, support responding with a question, the victim giving answers and steam support being able to lock the account.

I love this new rule, and hugely support it.

While you also could have ran it via activating with SteamGuard in that cafe, accessing your email. Really, that is like 20 seconds when you arrive in that cafe. Now you had to Disable it first at home, and then go to the cafe to access it.... I don't find that very logical.
    Dronefly and [WP] VenGanZa like this.
  8. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45707254
    And this is what steam rep are trying to teach people;safeguarding your steam account is vital.And now that valve have practically made sure people have some form of safeguard since the person who hijacked does not have the password to your email (possible) so this means they cannot enter the code. And on the other hand if you do not have steam guard enabled and you are hijacked the hijacker has to wait 15 days to trade anything,this important for the reasons data storm stated.
    So to conclude what valve have done is brilliant!
    Thank them. This feature turns your steam accounts security from a good bathroom lock into a prison cell lock.
  9. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I don't know if one activates on a new computer that the 15 days start to count then for that computer. I'll experiment with that sometime.
  10. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Well, what I tried:
    - Checked if I could trade (yes)
    - exit steam
    - remove steam entirely
    - let steam re-install itself
    - Activate steamguard via unlock via email
    - And I can trade.

What I currently can't test is if trying on another computer. (activate account on another computer).
    If that works right away, that won't be much of a protection vs hijackers that got into the mail. Will protect against steam support hijacks tho.
  11. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    To test that datastorm I think u need to Install a new browser then signin with steam on that browser it acts as a new computer I think.
  12. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I refuse to install Chrome (uninstalling chrome poses a lot of problems). And its a steam client steamguard activation that is needed, not a browser.
  13. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    Ahh,not true when you sign in on the Internet to steam on any pc it asks for steam guard and actually getting a new browser is a new computer for some reason I've tried it,get opera
  14. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

.... what part of a need for the steam client don't you understand? The browser part can handle the steamcomm sites etc, but not the trading, that is opened via Steam Client.
  15. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    can someone who i reading this try this out on an alt computer? I unfortunately have activated all my pcs with steam client and steamguard activated months ago so i cant check it.
  16. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
  17. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

No frigging idea. Its not like such fake accounts would be stopped by such anyway. Or that if the first 1 weeks can't trade, it won't have fake rep from day 1 "looking legit" etc...
  18. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    Steam accounts have steamguard automatically enabled so its almost like you have always had steam guard on when you create the account no need for the 15 days. I mean thats what it seems like.
  19. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    I certainly think this is a step in the right direction, I think Data hit the nail on the head, if someone is hijacked, 9 out of 10 times they didn't have Steamguard enabled, because of this new measure, Valve will have the time to properly investigate and react to the situation, without having to duplicate every single item in the player's BP, since no doubt they've been dispersed by the hijacker before Valve gets around to it.
    It should definitely help the hijacking situation, although no doubt ways around it will be found.
  20. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Well, it also addressed another problem: Fake hijack steam support tickets on other ppl in a attempt to get their account.
    And yes, those happened.

And btw, the phishing sites now just add also the email/email password fields on a "steam" lookalike page.

I would want them to lock off the first 2 weeks on a new computer, but I guess they wont :S