1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Obvious abuse of steamrep by /r/tf2trade

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by imphasing, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imphasing

imphasing New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:17202775
    The /r/tf2trade subreddit is now telling people that they can be steamrep marked if they ask friends to upvote their trades. This can't be inline with what steamrep was originally intended for, threatening users with a mark for nothing more than, in essence, having a friend bump your trade?

The official quote from /r/tf2trade admins:

This seems like a blatant mis-use of steamrep, I know a lot of users think the idea is totally ridiculous, but I wanted to get feedback from actual steamrep officials on their policy of letting communities mark people as scammers for literally nothing. Is this to be allowed? This MUST be an abuse of the system, steamrep is meant to protect people from scammers not to punish people for behavior a single community doesn't want..

The moderators of /r/tf2trade have even been asking for upvotes IN THEIR OWN TRADES in the past. Now we're being threatened with being marked a scammer for the exact same behavior. This is ridiculous.
  2. eviljelloman

eviljelloman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32372210
    IMHO, this is both extremely egregious abuse of Steamrep, and extremely hypocritical, given how often their own moderators do EXACTLY THIS. The Reddit admins are on a huge power trip lately, and it is offensive that they have tried to use Steamrep as a weapon against their users. They have absolutely no business dragging Steamrep into attempts to police their own forums.
    Eldoon's Noodles likes this.
  3. Bus

Bus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:18338992
    This is simultaneously laughably absurd and an extreme abuse of power.
  4. a tasty serving of

a tasty serving of New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:16282053
    From http://forums.steamrep.com/pages/faq/ :

• CAUTION - Shady or deceptive trading behavior, but not a major offense
    • SCAMMER - You were found to be guilty of one or many of the following:
      1. Trading with known scammers (see below)
      2. Charge-back or Reversal
      3. Quick-switching items
      4. Receiving the item and not paying
      5. Providing or soliciting fake reputation claims ("fake rep")
      6. Using fake middleman
      7. Impersonating and acting as an imposter
      8. Spycrabbing and then not paying
      9. Accomplice to a scammer (ignorance is not an excuse)
      10. Brokering (selling on behalf of) scammers and scammed items
      11. Hijacking or hacking other traders
      12. Alternate account of a tagged scammer
      13. Falsifying evidence to SteamRep
      14. Using game or Steam exploits to profit on trades
      15. Anything that is deemed as deceptive or fraudulent activity by SteamRep admins

Scammers always come up with new ways to scam. Simple rule: DON'T STEAL. DON'T AID IN STEALING
    According to this, I'd assume they'd be able to mark someone with Caution but not as a scammer. Being on their community, seems you'd have to play by their rules or risk a mark. Actually getting marked just for getting your trade bumped seems a bit heavy handed but my thoughts would be not to take your chances. Any appeal you'd have would go through them. I guess we'd really find out once someone got marked and appealed here on steamrep
  5. Bus

Bus New User

Steam:
    The issue is this has nothing to do with stealing, or aiding stealing. This is bumping threads, in a sense.
  6. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    For non-Redditors, can you link to the specific reference of concern? Has someone been marked for this or are you just worried about that statement? Please clarify/provide evidence of abuse so SteamRep can look into this.

Note that Scalia (lawlyer) and I are both /r/tf2trade admins and SR admins, so we'd have to recuse ourselves should there have to be an SR ruling, but I'm asking because I think this is more a misunderstanding than an abuse of power and we'd just want to sort out the misunderstanding rather than get out pitchforks.

Edit: I've tracked down the referring post here: http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2trade/comments/zvcn2/asking_for_up_votes_in_your_trade_will_result_in/ -- please add more references if there is a specific incident other than /r/tf2trade listing this one.
    IM ACTUALLY A CRATE likes this.
  7. Bus

Bus New User

Steam:
    Sorry to drag you into more drama, Mattie, but it's actually Scalia's comments that are concerning.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2trade/co...up_votes_in_your_trade_will_result_in/c681jyu
    "If there is an egregious case of gaming the reddit system, or cheating the system for self gain, you may find yourself with a mark on SteamRep as well." - Egregious is fairly ambiguous, and this is literally a threat to not have friends bumping your trades.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2trade/co...up_votes_in_your_trade_will_result_in/c682dhn
    "I can't control what people do off of reddit. But, if what they do effects the community in a way that artificially alters what is on the front page of our subreddit, that we can control and regulate." - He can't prevent people telling others to upvote on steam, but can resort to marking them here?

And of course the post itself. http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2trade/comments/zvcn2/asking_for_up_votes_in_your_trade_will_result_in/
    "After reading some of the comments, it appears that people are already thinking of ways of getting around asking for up votes on reddit. It makes me sad that I have to go this far to ensure the credibility of our voting system: in egregious cases where you are gaming (or cheating) the system, you may find yourself with a SteamRep mark for being deceptive to the community." - This is literally a threat of marking on steamrep.
  8. Fiskie

Fiskie tf2bazaar founder Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26166446
    ...what the hell am I reading? This sort of thing constitutes a scam now? Or is he just pulling out empty threats on the uninformed?
  9. Bus

Bus New User

Steam:
    Exactly, Fiskie. It's mind blowingly stupid.
  10. eviljelloman

eviljelloman New User

Steam:
    My assumption is that it's a completely empty threat - but frankly, it should not be considered acceptable for community admins to use the threat of steamrep to police their communities. Steamrep has a very specific intended purpose, and IMHO that purpose is not to be the belt that you crack at your kids and say "if you do that again, it's a whoopin' "

Scalia should retract that statement immediately, and it should be clarified that steamrep admins are NOT permitted to use the threat of a mark to try to coerce behavior out of people, when that behavior is in no way connected to anything that could be construed as a scam.
  11. eviljelloman

eviljelloman New User

Steam:
    In other news, the thread has been deleted, meaning the entire text of the post, aka the evidence of this attempted abuse of power, is now missing.
  12. Bus

Bus New User

Steam:
    There is more than enough evidence of the post both here and quoted in the thread. Clearly it being removed is agreeing that this was a very bad decision.
  13. roflcopter

roflcopter New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23038392
    This is totally absurd. /r/tf2trade should be kicked out of SR.
  14. roflcopter

roflcopter New User

Steam:
  15. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    SteamRep usually only gets involved when a tagging is actually made (because we look at the evidence itself for the case) rather than when communities/traders/etc say whatever it is they say out loud. If no one's specific reputation has been harmed then SteamRep doesn't usually aim to get involved. (Like a court usually needs a specific wrongful enforcement case rather than get involved with what a public official might say.)

We do not yet have a policy for this yet, but I agree with you that we should think more about how to handle that. I'll raise it with the other SR admins and see if we can craft some policies.

I think it's obvious to most readers that this thread (and similar ones) have a poorly masked scent of vindictiveness, but I have to admit you guys tend to choose your battles wisely.
  16. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    Well, his profile is friendsonly since June I believe. That being said, I'll check to see if he will change that because it is a desire to have public profiles for SR Admins. (Note that it's a loose requirement to avoid imposters, but it's something I'm a big fan of, so I'll ask about it.)
  17. roflcopter

roflcopter New User

Steam:
    If we're supposed to trust SteamRep, that means we have to trust every single SteamRep admin. SteamRep is supposed to help keep traders honest, not be a tool for admins to use to try and whip their communities in line because they don't like some sort of behavior. I don't really care if it smells vindictive to you. In my eyes, Scalia has failed his responsibility as an SR and /t/tf2trade admin.
  18. eviljelloman

eviljelloman New User

Steam:
    Yes, people who are the victims of repeated, gross abuses of power get vindictive about it. Funny how that happens, huh?

Regarding "choosing our battles wisely" - perhaps it's because the only things that actually get us riled up enough to make it an issue... are worth getting riled up about.
  19. Bacon

Bacon Retired Staff Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:28694608
    It's always the same bunch of people who are riling things up. We will deal with it. No further discussion needs to be made.
  20. eviljelloman

eviljelloman New User

Steam:
    Your phrasing can easily be interpreted in two different ways - that we, the users who brought this up in a public forum for discussion with the broader steamrep community, are the ones riling things up - OR that your same group of moderators are the ones continually overstepping their bounds and GETTING us riled up.

I strongly disagree with your statement that no further discussion needs to be made - this is an issue that ABSOLUTELY needs to be discussed, beyond cloak-and-dagger statements like "we will deal with it".

Tell me, Bacon - do YOU think that threatening steamrep marking for "manipulation of votes" on Reddit is appropriate behavior?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.