1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Obvious abuse of steamrep by /r/tf2trade

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by imphasing, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bus

Bus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:18338992
    We don't rile things up without reason. I would suggest proposing changes to the community before enforcing them and threatening people who dont follow with permanent scammer marks in the future.
  2. eviljelloman

eviljelloman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32372210
    Also, Crate - instead of just clicking "like", would you grace us with YOUR opinion on the situation? As a Reddit admin yourself, do you think that "manipulation of votes" is a violation which warrants a tag on steamrep? Enough of this closed-doors stuff - how about some transparency? How about some opinions direct from the admins of the community in question?
    IM ACTUALLY A CRATE likes this.
  3. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Not sure I fully understand the way that trades work on /r/tf2trade, but sounds a lot like fake rep.
  4. Ben

Ben New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:7959570
    I don't use le reddit much but I'm pretty sure upvoting just bumps the post/trade to the top of the list giving it more exposure etc. It's really nothing like fake rep.
  5. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Ah alright, thanks.
  6. Bus

Bus New User

Steam:
    Not remotely similar.
  7. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    So, has anyone been tagged?
  8. eviljelloman

eviljelloman New User

Steam:
    Just to re-iterate - this is more akin to bumping a post than giving it fake rep. Upvotes determine which trades make it to the "front page" and which are more hidden, and newer traders are more likely to only see trades which make the front page. I do concede that having a lot of extra upvotes for a given trade might make it appear as if it's a better deal, to the un-initiated trader, than it might otherwise seem to be, since it appears "popular", but even still, that's a far cry from faking rep or COs.

I'd also like to point out that doing things like going into the Reddit chat room and ASKING the other members of that chat room to upvote your posts is something that the moderators of Reddit (or at least those who still actively trade) have engaged in EXTENSIVELY in the past. So if this behavior is genuinely akin to faking a CO, or deserving of a steamrep tag, a large number of Reddit admins should be right at the front of the line to get their tags.
  9. Bacon

Bacon Retired Staff Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:28694608
    When you get your friends and other people to upvote your posts, this puts those posts above everyone else with enough votes. This gives other posts less visibility on the front page of our subreddit. People have been starting to "ask for upvotes for visibility" which causes alot of other trades to never see the light of day, aka the front page. This has been an issue with us for quite some time. It's true that while gaming the system is of poor taste (as it goes against the spirit of reddit itself), I don't agree with it being a markable offense on steamrep. Most likely just a ban on the subreddit in severe cases. Though I can see some people completely and utterly abusing the reddit voting system (it HAS happened before), and I can see WHY one would mark on steamrep, I guess.
  10. eviljelloman

eviljelloman New User

Steam:
    thankfully, as far as we know, nobody has been tagged - and us bringing this issue to light quickly seems to have resulted in a removal of the original post on Reddit, signaling a hopeful backpedaling on the issue. The issue here was to ensure that nobody DID receive a tag due to this completely unreasonable thread, and in that we seem to have accomplished our goal.
  11. Bacon

Steam:
    No one has been tagged.
  12. Bus

Bus New User

Steam:
    We dont have an issue with people not being allowed to put that in their titles. The issue was that Scalia DID say that he wouldn't hesitate to actually mark people in some cases, and reiterated his point in the comments. You and genemilder have since said that you do not agree with marking someone on steamrep for something this insignifigant, but the point remains that he attempted to enforce this with threats of scammer tags. That is not reddit admin / SR admin behavior.
  13. Bacon

Steam:
    He did say in severe cases of vote manipulation that he would mark people.
  14. Bus

Bus New User

Steam:
    He did not say one way or the other, actually. I was mistaken in thinking he had opposed marking.
  15. eviljelloman

eviljelloman New User

Steam:
    And that's the point - that threat is completely absurd and an abuse of a position of power within a larger community to try to frighten people into compliance with Reddit rules that have absolutely nothing to do with steamrep.
  16. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    Admins are people too. While they should be held to a higher standard than most, they do make mistakes or say the wrong thing from time to time.
  17. Bus

Bus New User

Steam:
    When the wrong things are permanent changes to a community coupled with threats of scammer tags in no way related to scamming, it becomes an issue and gets people like us all 'riled up'.
  18. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    Go have a lay down, and be thankful you got the answer you were looking for then. Fight's over, right?

Or do you want punishment for the mistake? If so, I'd disagree with the idea.
  19. Bus

Bus New User

Steam:
    Yes. The thread was deleted, and considering nothing else has really been said about that I'm assuming the reddit admins have backed down about this. We made this thread (while the other was still up) to get a response from steamrep admins over this issue. We got one.
  20. eviljelloman

eviljelloman New User

Steam:
    While I agree with that, this seems to be something that is happening on a regular basis with the Reddit admins in particular - most of it drama that is well outside the scope of this discussion and not something you or anyone else outside the reddit clique should have to suffer through. While the idea of "punishment" is not something I would necessarily be seeking out, at the same time, I'd like to see a firm, official statement issued by steamrep that admins are NOT to use the threat of a tag as a way to bully people into things - regardless of what those things are.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.