1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Obvious abuse of steamrep by /r/tf2trade

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by imphasing, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:4565259
    Isn't that the job of Steamrep at this point? If you're going to try to make the argument it's nothing more than a database, that ship sailed a long time ago.
  2. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    It's a REDDIT issue, made by an admin doing his duties there, not here. Most SR admins are admins at other communities involving trading, it's up to REDDIT staff to decide on the consequences, not SR.

I do agree that SR has completely evolved beyond a database though.
  3. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    So your'e saying SR has nothing to do with the communities of which it is comprised? They have Carte Blanche to make any rules they deem fit no matter how absurd, and SR upholds the taggings that stem from these rules?

That seems a bit... I dunno... what's the word? Insane?

I mean we can go back to the GHS admins who are marked as cautions for using a map they weren't "allowed" to use? Surprised this hasn't been a further issue in the public to be honest considering SR's status in the community. It seems a little weird to basically say each community who ends up under the SR umbrella get to make their own "SR Rules". You end up with tags that all look the same, but mean entirely different things, and without extensive documentation on each, it's impossible to tell which ones are flat out ✿✿✿✿✿✿ed, and which ones are legitimate. Since... they don't conform to one list of rules...
  4. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    [​IMG]
  5. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    Each community is able to set their own rules within some boundaries. Not all communities are required to subscribe to all SR rules to the letter. That's been common knowledge for some time. We're not here to dictate how a community is run, but it's still not within SteamREPs bounds to go around telling off admins of other communities for something that's easily fixable there. It's a partnership/affiliation, not father/son type system. We're not in charge of those communities, we're in charge of this site alone.

We do monitor the tags applied and don't apply tags without clear grounds and evidence.

As far as unwarrented cautions go - I'm aware of them. UHC/UTC was a prime example of that in the past. We've been working to go through a lot of them and remove the Caution tags that aren't within SR bounds. It takes time, it's a huge database.
  6. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    Is this the part where I explain that I resisted their tags in private admin chats and was only agreeing in public to create continuity? Bunch of SR admins arguing about tags while it's being discussed in public isn't exactly seemly. Feel free to ask around with the senior admins what my thoughts were at the time on that issue.

Or were you just incapable of making a better argument than I did, so you posted mine? Also I believe that was about Slackers scammer tag primarily, not the ASBO map theft caution tags.

Go back to making youtube video's Kermit, nobody takes you seriously
  7. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    [​IMG]
    Scooty Puff Jr. likes this.
  8. imphasing

imphasing New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:17202775
    Mattie: This post was only about my concern for a new official policy that seemed entirely abusive of the steamrep system, I'm not aware of any actual examples, but it was listed as an official policy that I, and I'm sure many others believe is abusive of the steamrep system.

As for your remark about being vindictive, yes you're right. A portion of the community still feels like we've been entirely ignored and passed by, and I'm pretty sure we're some of the most helpful members of the community. /r/tf2trade seems to have made it a policy to just come up with new rules without consulting ANY users, or blatantly ignoring user's criticism, so I admit I and possibly others have been a little extra judgmental of the subreddit's actions but in this case I feel it's entirely warranted as this policy that was presented as official seems to be totally against the spirit of steamrep. It seems to have been deleted and the subreddit is now pretending it never happened, so I guess it's all good now.
  9. roflcopter

roflcopter New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23038392
    Can we get something constructive out of this whole shitstorm, such as a list of rules that each community MUST follow, as well as consequences for failing to do so? Otherwise, SteamRep is totally meaningless, and each community might as well stand on its own.
  10. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    http://forums.steamrep.com/pages/faq/
  11. roflcopter

roflcopter New User

Steam:
    Okay then, so which rules are they not "required to subscribe to... the letter."

EDIT: Also, none of these rules apply to community admins, just traders. Are there even rules for the admins?
  12. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    Of course there are general rules of conduct, and most of the communities talk to each-other and are very sensitive about the issues of being fair. This is especially the case between SR and its related communities. Also SR won't attach names to communities that it does not feel upholds the ideas and standards that SR does. Furthermore basically all communities have their own personal rules posted, as is in the case of the origin of this thread.

Not sure exactly what you're getting at here, but you seem to just be typing words at random... Not sure why I'm even respoding..... am I really this bored right now?

Why the hell is your avatar a wolfgineer? Is it weird I find that really gross?
  13. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    Those rules are for all people. Admins and traders alike. Each community is more than welcome to give extra rules to admins, but it's not a requirement.

It's not as black and white as you'd like it to be. There's a lot of case by case discretion.

I still don't understand why this is such a big deal for SR. We didn't make a bad decision in this case, since it was handled elsewhere. If you feel we did, please bring it up in detail and we'd be happy to discuss.

This is a REDDIT issue, not an SR issue. We're not here to babysit or tell communities what to do, we have better things to be getting on with like scam reports and appeals.
  14. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:

I think the general idea is it's seen as an SR issue in context that SR is essentially backing their rulemaking by having them as a related community (ability to assign cautions etc). While they were being percieved as warning people that they would end up with SR marks for things like bot-spam... which is a pretty unrelated issue as it's concerned with someones trustworthiness. Making it in essence a de facto SR rule. And if this were not the case, implying that communities had no standard by which they had to adhere when applying new rules as far as SR is concerned. (Overlooking the kinds of discussions we all know mods have over issues like this)
  15. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    SR didn't back the rule though, since no tag was applied.

What the OP described is not a taggable offence. There may be circumstances outside of what was described that may warrent a tag, that may or may not have been what Scalia was talking about.

Cautions have been re-worked and cautions only apply in the case of probable scam attempts and Scammer tag downgrades now. There were tags (and I'm sure still are) that aren't warrented and we're working on those, as I said before.
  16. roflcopter

roflcopter New User

Steam:
    I'm trying to get some insight into how the relationship between SR and one of its communities works. I really, really want to believe that SR is a good thing. So far, I haven't gotten a straight answer to any of the questions, and as far as I can see, nobody from SR cares that the leader of one of its communities was trying to use SR as a threat/weapon to combat a type of behavior that has nothing to do with trading, much less scamming.

Exactly, so is it okay for a community admin to threaten a tag for such an offense?
  17. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    Issue could be mainly that it appeared as if community admins for a, SR-related community were essentially using the "threat" of a caution tag improperly. And what ramifications that has on their relation to SR (if any) , and what SR's own view of this is. The kinda flippant dismissal seemed to strike a chord, and imply that community admins were not held to a reasonable standard of rulemaking. (also seems to be a constant issue on /r/tf2trade at the moment)
    roflcopter likes this.
  18. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    The relationship is somewhat loose, it's not as if community owners have to come running to SR everytime they want to make a new rule. And the rule in this case wasn't entirely unfair considering their entire system is effected by the types of actions they were threatening bans over. And caution tags have for a while in the past been applied in the case of a permanent ban. The idea that they're trying to strong-arm the little guy is pretty off-base here.

You say this as if there was some threat to the effect of "I'M GOING TO MARK YOU AS A SCAMMER IF YOU GET TOO MANY UPVOTES" which again, is offbase.. worst case scenario it would have been a caution as it was a non-trade related perm-ban incident. Also I believe caution tags are no longer applied for non-trade related bans anyway.

Also that weird wolf is really kinda grossin' me out man
  19. roflcopter

roflcopter New User

Steam:
    I'm not worried about tags being applied, i'm worried about the behavior of the admin. I don't know how else I can say it.

And it's a fox, if that grosses you out any less ;)
  20. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    Scalia is a scoundrel and a briggand, a prig some might say. But in this instance I really do not see how he was in any way overstepping his bounds as a community admin. He was applying rules and as far as his current understanding of SR community tags was concerned, they had a certain outcome...(the perm-banning that is) which he made clear in his post.

The fact it's a fox makes it no better. Why is it smiling? Fox's don't even have lips they have jowels. Also fingers? I don't even understand what's going on...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.