1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

On the topic of hijacked accounts...

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Samantha Rose, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Samantha Rose

Samantha Rose New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32761788
    So as someone whose account was hijacked, I found myself to be marked unfairly for something that happened 3 months prior. I can see that these kind of things happen a lot. So if I may make a recommendation.
    Maybe it would be easier to just ask whomever was accused. After all, these cases shouldn't take very long to solve it would prevent quite a bit more false marks if whoever was going to mark it just added the person and asked them if they were hijacked. Phishers typically don't care enough to provide evidence for a fake account.
    If an admin would like to implement this new policy when dealing with phishers, or if someone would like to bring up a counter argument. Simply leave a response :)
  2. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    Hijacked accounts should be marked. It is to prevent anything happening to the account/transferal/sale of items by the hijacking scammer.

You can appeal the tag you have, when you supply evidence (support ticket) showing that indeed you were hijacked
  3. Knucklejoe

Knucklejoe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46918739
  4. Samantha Rose

Samantha Rose New User

Steam:
    Firstly this topic has no bearing on my own case, it's more of a suggestion for the future.
    While I do agree with you forte, the marking process is simply too slow for that to work. By the time the account is marked it will most likely be too late for the account to get marked. It might be better to add the person and simply tell them that a report is on steamrep. Like I said before, this could prevent almost all false marks in this category.
  5. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182

Absolutely right, but that doesn't mean we should let scammers do whatever they want with the accounts they hijack either. I know I have personally been hijacked and was very thankful when they tagged my account.
  6. Samantha Rose

Samantha Rose New User

Steam:
    This is a good point, but like I said these accounts are being marked months after they are returned.
  7. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Its a pain in the ass, most dont know they were marked until well after the hijackings and fail to make a proper appeal and include requested proof, also we have users who fake hijackings to cover up scamming or dupe items using steam support, more common then one would think. I personally would change how we deal with hijacking tags going forward to a system set up to temp tag such accnts unless other reported activity happens as well while hijacked.
  8. [P+] ThePyro

[P+] ThePyro New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52015796
    especially cause appealing takes ages
  9. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663