1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Over 10 pages of pending requests

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by RadioQueue, Jun 30, 2018.

1. RadioQueue

RadioQueue New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:105572751
    It seems like steamrep is unable to keep up with the reports. Do you guys need more hands or have you just all gone on vacation? If a currently sitting staff member responds to this post with a request for more man power, I'll write an application.

With kind regards,

Lexidor(<b>)'""'
  2. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    As volunteers, more hands on deck is always a good thing. Please keep in mind that the position of a SteamRep Moderator is not an entry-level role, and would require extensive experience for a candidate to be considered. I would highly recommend getting more experience before applying, if applying is your intention.
  3. RadioQueue

RadioQueue New User

Steam:
    What kind of experience are you talking about? What should I do to have a chance?
  4. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Most of this applies to staff positions here as well - https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/how-do-i-become-a-steamrep-middleman.96063/

2 main requirements:
    1. You need to be well-known among staff from communities affiliated with us for a significant length of time, so that we can reasonably trust you.
    2. You need to demonstrate through your actions that you're proficient in understanding how Steam trading and scams work, and more importantly you're level-headed and consistent.
    If your experience is a little rusty, it's not always the end of the world, but if you apply expecting to VAC ban cheaters once accepted, or otherwise blatantly have no clue what SteamRep does, then your application probably won't even be considered. As staff, you'll need to professionally and respectfully handle scam reports, with both sides may be at their worst and sometimes seething in anger at you personally, knowing that anything you say can and probably will be quoted out of context and used against you in public for years to come. Some reports you deal with will involve people who lost thousands of dollars, understandably rather upset and panicked, and you'll live through knowing you can't exactly help them. Ability to keep a level head through that pressure, while still making sound judgement calls (and learning from mistakes when admins like me point out your shortcomings) is important.

More importantly, if you can't demonstrate that we can trust you in that kind of position, then you don't have a chance. There are a good handful of scammers applying for this position, either to abuse our credibility, or because they're hoping to sell out preferential treatment and access to our database. Some have been trying to get into our staff for over 5 years, and have gotten increasingly crafty, so we're increasingly careful about keeping them out.

Before asking yourself "what do I do to have a chance" try asking yourself why you're applying in the first place, and whether it's a good fit for you. And be honest with yourself. Are you looking for reputation, recognition, fame, or bragging rights associated with a "trusted" reputation? Are you looking for a reason to charge a premium in cash, CD key, or account trades as someone "provably legit"? Do you have some vendetta to pursue "justice" and revenge after being personally harmed by a scammer? Are you seeking power and authority, or perhaps something you could use as leverage against someone in a scam report? Are you looking to get special treatment for your buddies? Even if you're dishonest in answering these and somehow crept through the cracks, if you can answer "yes" to even one of these, you'd be pretty miserable with how we do things once you got accepted.
  5. RadioQueue

RadioQueue New User

Steam:
    I wish to thank you for your response. I have only recently discovered how prevalent scammers really are. In the past, I tried to waste some of their time, as my way of giving something to the community. Even if my gift is not being received or even noticed. However as of late, I have realised the futility of my actions. The scammers may be talking to hundreds of people at a time, so I was only wasting a small portion of their time, compared to the time they are wasting from me. So, I started reporting upon the first signs of scams. When I noticed that the pending reports were stacking up, I realised where I could be doing the most good to the community. I don't know how many people actually check unconfirmed reports if they are trying to trade with someone, but the big red pop-up, seems like a better way of warning people. So, if I could make any difference by making some of those yellow warning lines into big red pop-ups, that would do way more than I am capable of doing now.

In response to scammers trying to get in. I can perecive that as a real thread to SteamRep's reputation. I can't provide proof that I am not a scammer, since the absence of proof is no proof of absence. I won't waste your time by listing all the good qualities about me or my account.

I don't have deep knowledge of any other game economies outside of TF2 though. If this is a requirement, I guess this is not the right position for me. Maybe I could sort the reports into categories as a `normal` user. This would not give me any access to the database, nor any control over SteamRep and its assets.
  6. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    If you are still determined, I would recommend reaching out to a partner community and volunteering for them. Your time with them would give you an idea of what you need to know, and what working for us is like. At the same time, assuming it goes over well, it would be an effective way to establish your reputation and our ability to trust you.

I'm not going to push you in one direction or the other, but I will implore you to think about those questions. They weren't screening questions, but questions you should honestly ask yourself about your own motivation. Your answers will determine how well you fit in the position - whether with SteamRep or elsewhere. While undoubtedly required, skills and nuances of various economies are fairly trivial and can be learned if you're determined enough, but genuine motives are what will ultimately make or break you.