1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Paypal chargeback after i sent both knives, its first time i didnt know paypal was that stupid

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by w0tw0t, Nov 21, 2014.

1. w0tw0t

w0tw0t New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:26981789
    This guy sent me 650AUD for 2 knives i have screen shots, will paypal accept his charge back ? i hope not this isnt fair, ive showed paypal everything i can, if anyone works on paypal help us out... i have added everyone on his friends list to warn them some have given him keys for money and some were going to trade with him later on

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Make a report. As for fighting a chargeback, not much hope, and depends on how it was send, either as a gift/to family or as a payment for some they bought blah. the first would mean unauthorized access to the paypal account, not much you can do there, just show your trade stuff above. the latter.... as you didn't send anything physically to that person, and have therefore no track and trace number for w/e postage system, you cannot prove anything to Paypal, for that is the only accepted way for them.

People actually have successfully defended themselves, but those had made sure that with their trade, they had screenshots of personal information in steamchat (name, address, phone number, date of birth etc) in combination with their trade agreement. Hence tying a steam trade with the real world person. Some of the traders even will send a real package for the bigger trades. There are therefore ways to protect oneself from chargebacks, but most people don't observe them.

I have hidden one of the above images, for it was showing your steam username which is bad for your security.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  3. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Most people have the one paying the funds leave a very long note as to the purpose of the purchase and so on as a seller would require it to help prevent this kinda problem. Now my best advice is to call Paypal on the phone and raise hell, its really the only way to get someone to understand exactly what is going on. I've done this in the odds of it working if you raise hell with them over the phone is way higher than if you just email back and forth and wait on them.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    the note is of NO import to Paypal, in any dispute, whatever is written there is not a legal agreement of sorts. For if it was accessed by someone else, it was not that person writing it, and if it was a payment for goods, they could have had not received it. So put in something sane: Steam ID of the buyer, and notes of the transacted steam items.
    Wrath likes this.
  5. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    The notes work... I've had first hand accounts of using them for various purposes. Basically you have to force the person paying to document the reason for the money being transferred and in a correct manner. But the main thing here is CALL THEM ON THE PHONE.... you can't argue the case with Paypal on their terms over stupid chat/email returns. You can force Paypals hand or the person you are talking to much easier with the added notes/documented reason for the money transfer over the phone thru voice than emails and someone on the other end who doesn't give a s✿✿✿ if you are too lazy to not call them and raise hell but rather send a weak email.
    Basically the girl I talked to once was caught off guard when I explained what all I had in documents and was prepared to take it to the end to ensure I retained the funds. She made the process much easier than over chat and solved it right there before I told her I would hang up. Now this may not work for everyone but you have a better chance at winning this way.

I give you permission to like this post...but only this one!
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    Hitman Sparky likes this.
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Paypal works layered with that. The person you talk to or mail/chat with isn't making the decision. thats done after the communication(s) by somebody else.
  7. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Well it worked for me that is all that matters.
  8. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    A user should NOT rely on transaction notes such as "payment for virtual goods, will not charge back" to cover their butts in the eyes of PayPal. I have seen countless chargebacks where it did not matter a single bit. I tell users instead to use the notes to better identify the user (id64) and the item(s) traded should a dispute arise.
  9. UnuSec

UnuSec New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:110831
    I always ask trading partners that look shady to confirm an email I send to their pp accounts prior to sending the cash, this way you have 1 more proof that he agreed to the trade by mail, but your chances are limited ... if he did not send you the cash as gift, coming from his pp balance not cc/bank you have very very low chance not to get chargedback :(.
    Also using this link to verify the age of his pp account is useful https://www.paypal.com/verified/[email protected]