1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Pending Reports & Change of Heart Option

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by ~FHU~ Friendly Heavy, Dec 14, 2014.

1. ~FHU~ Friendly Heavy

~FHU~ Friendly Heavy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:63372993
    So I've been banned on TF2OP for a silly brokering mistake that I made earlier this year for a friend of mine who was marked on SR, and one of my remaining hopes of my appeal being passed is my buddy's appeal being passed right here on SteamRep, as he committed a PayPal scam over two years ago and is appealing on change of heart. However, this appeal was submitted in August of 2013 and has been marked with pending status ever since, and I noticed a lot of old appeals also had the pending tag.

Nothing offensive intended towards any of the staff, but is there a reason they are still marked as pending as opposed to receiving a simple acceptance/rejection? Is it because of time to process, or maybe the appeal reason? Also, how does the staff determine whether a change of heart is sincere or not? It seems like a very arbitrary process, and even as someone who's advocating for a change of heart appeal to pass, I don't know how the staff is meant to investigate this sort of thing.

Thanks for your time.
    BasiC likes this.
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    I recently calculated the estimated work time outstanding on SteamRep, which was around 10 working years of work 40 hours a week, and we only have a very small staff.

some 17000 reports open, 800 appeals open. and less then a dozen staff. In regards to appeals that is 3-4 people who can do them and 2 who are doing them.
    Hitman Sparky likes this.
  3. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    If it was a paypal scam, its unlikely to be granted anyways. In some cases, its better to have it sit pending as at least their is still some hope instead of being outright rejected as in 99% of paypal related scams are.

All appeals are screened in the first few days of being made to make sure they are valid, some we ask questions that would be asked anyways by an appeal admin, others are just moved, depends on the appeal and the offense. Appeals that can be dealt with on the spot or with a little more effort are dealt with at this time to prevent them from entering the backlog.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  4. ~FHU~ Friendly Heavy

~FHU~ Friendly Heavy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:63372993
    Sweet Lord Jesus. I think I might've read somewhere that it can take up to 1.5 hours to review certain reports/appeals, but I wasn't sure of the validity of that statement, hence why I came to ask.

Have you been looking for prospective appeal reviewers? Again, pardon me, but it just seems a bit inefficient to spread that amount of work out amongst such a small staff.

He paid back, but it was a chargeback, I believe.

What I'm wondering, though, is what determines the decision between leaving it pending and outright rejecting. Sorry if that wasn't clear before.

Thanks for the replies.
  5. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    They are so many possible combinations/situations/circumstances I cant get specific or it would be a 900 page long reply. If the user made the charge back with the intent in not paying, its unlikely to be granted.

Sometimes its not the users direct fault, paypal/bank/creditcard/parent ect.. that initiate a chargeback, known or unknown to the user with no ill intent.
    In theses cases, if the user immediately contacts the victims, alert admins if reports were made, and work it out/repay by some other means or whatnot in a timely manor, that is taken heavily into account. Their have been cases like that you could probably find using search.
    Wrath likes this.
  6. DecoyNy

DecoyNy Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:113037
    As You Are The One was saying, sometimes it's not the users direct fault, it's even happened to me in the past where I sent a payment, and my account got limited because of it and the payment was on hold. But I worked it out with the user, and handled the PayPal situation to make sure something like this wouldn't happen.

If there was no ill intent, the first thing your "friend" should have done was put the user who got scammed at ease, and corrected the situation. Instead, the guy was forced to make a thread here, which got your friend banned, and only after that your "friend" paid him back.. You see the problem?
  7. a tasty serving of

a tasty serving of New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:16282053
    I'm super bored and want to do the math on the numbers. :p However I need the rate at which new reports come in and how many reports the 2 staffers are capable willing to review in a day. i know that its based on how the reviewer feels on taking on but maybe a random number you guesstimate on would be appreciated.

#IneedALife
  8. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    the 2 staffers I mentioned had relation to the appeals. I'm not keeping tabs on how many reports are done per day.

As for numbers per day incoming, you can easily review that in these forums. When we move threads, we leave the redirection in the original forums up for 3 days, so people can still find them. Some time ago it was 50-80 reports incoming per day. Appeals vary, depends on other factors. Some days none, other days we get a dozen.

So numbers: SR Forums exists since end of December 2011, got public around January 15, 2012.
    Since then 40.000+ reports, 4800 appeals of which a majority invalid.
    You can really easy get all the numbers by just counting the number of discussions.

last week since 18 december: ~ 500 reports (can be more, didn't look too deep at it)
    Last week since 18 december: 29 appeals, of which 17 are now in archive: 2 rejected, 1 accepted (admin had forgotten to untag the alts), the rest invalid or other reasons not applicable (not banned by us, must appeal to other comm's first, "appealing" their report, etc).
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  9. -hg- COBALT

-hg- COBALT New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42037753
    You guys have a huge workload, and not nearly enough staff to work it it seems.
  10. BasiC

BasiC New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:57416399

yeah that is correct.!! i agree! bro ive been banned at d2l for no reason? i just bought an item from a friend. and bet it at d2l suddenly ive benn ban at d2l? hwo the hell?
  11. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    @BasiC you weren't banned for no reason. If you look closely to your tag notes, you will see the reason of the ban: