1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Phishing Uprise?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Mr. Valentine, Apr 29, 2013.

1. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45707254
    Well, I don't think this is true. Schools regularly give assembly's and lessons on how important it is to stay safe on the Internet. That's here in Britain anyway.
  2. Maddux

Maddux New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20658158
    The problem is thats not how phishing always works. On outpost i just saw a post on my trade that said "Will pay buy out, friend me on my main account (insert phishing link)", i did click it because thats just the mindset of users, when they see a good deal or what looks like a good deal, they will go after it. I obviously did not end up logging in since i still do have access to my account, but phising isint just "Free steam games!" any more.

Niether. You dont have to be a rocket scientist to create a phishing website, and from what i'v seen by looking at these sites is they all work under 1 simple principle, having somebody log in under false pretenses. Phishing happens, valve seems to be decent about getting users their accounts back, everybody just has to be somewhat more careful when logging into places.
  3. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    I just took one instance. I made seem not very sympathetic towards people who get successfully phised and I have had a friend who was phised. But I do think people need to be more 'Internet wise'.
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

That site I mention there, is using advanced techniques, using a trade bot to automatically:
    - Get the login credentials from the website, and log into steam on a machine. This triggers the request for the SteamGuard code.
    - The next page asks for the SteamGuard code, and the bot pulls that from the website as well, and activates the steam client.
    - The bot adds another account of the hijacker to the FriendsList of the account.
    - And let the other account accept.
    - Initiates trade to the added account.
    - Trades a number of predefined items to the other account.
    - logs out of steam with the hijacked account.

all that under 3 minutes.

Well, that's pretty sophisticated.
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

That would be possible yes, Sneeza could adjust the logics to only make links of tf2outpost clickable, and remove others. but that would cripple his site a bit, he would have to work with a whitelist then... but whitelists tend to be too big to be handy, especially on ha heavy load site as OP.
  6. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:50959178
    Well, s✿✿✿.
  7. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    So to conclude; phisers are clever little bastards. We need to have some form of ditterent for phisers and the steam community as a whole needs to spread more awareness surrounding phising. We should also understand that all Internet criminals don't give a sh*t they will do whatever they can to get there hands on your electronic commodities.
  8. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    Well unfortunately it's only going to get worse before it gets better, the last ten or so appeals I have read have been stating that they were hacked because they clicked on a link. Even though outpost probably has the highest amount of phishers, there are some links that are sent out through messages or other sites. It's great that Outpost has been cracking down like crazy on these different accounts spreading the links, but we need to get to the root and pull it out.
  9. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Outpost just made a link whitelist.
  10. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Nice. Is it shown somewhere what sites are allowed?
  11. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Nice one, since OP is so widely used, any way of lessening chances less on-the-ball people might get stung is fantastic. Props to OP, Sneeza and my favourite chorus gal: Pretender :)
  12. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    Well that solves one source. Thank you.
  13. Sjru

Sjru Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:13315037
    Steam:
    I think advanced scammers found that is more cost/effective to lay off pishing stuff everywhere, hijack accounts and sell the stuff rather than trying old scam methods.

Since the real mafia never get busted as a whole, it's a round bussiness.
  14. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    That would make a lot of sense, but is it many scammers, or is it just a small collaboration?
  15. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    Why does outpost allow links?
    Other then an outpost link, youtube, or imgur I don't see why any other site are really needed.
    Oh, maybe reddit to.
  16. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    Because they do what they want!

But really some web sites help out traders such as Meetthestats or even Backpack, but luckily with the new whiteout system put in place on outpost there shouldn't really be much concern.
  17. Sjru

Sjru Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    Steam:
    Experienced scammers might be at most like 15 or 20. Maybe a bit more.

Rookie scammers or those who aren't in a serious mafia are the most here (And get reported easily).

I see those who see and understand the system getting away from punishment always, since they know where and what to move. They fool even valve.
  18. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    Okay, I've seen the mafia referenced multiple times, who or what is the TF2 Mafia?
  19. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    Probably the high tier traders who are working with scammers behind the scenes that no one knows about, the dupers who get help duping, etc.

That's what I interpret it as.
    Sjru likes this.
  20. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45077164
    So about duping. I know its illegal to dupe but it is fine to buy and sell a duped item? And how do you tell if an item is duped?