1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Please please help me understand...

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Blinkerz, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Blinkerz

Blinkerz New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36974
    Im pretty new to all this steamrep etc.. and never had a problem up to now.. but i use a scrapbankbot to get rid of my standard weapons. I did a recent invite to trade and got this recently..

'You are reported as a scammer on SteamRep.com and I will therefore not trade with you.'

Is my steamrep account okay.. i cant see any problems.. Please help me:(

Or is the bot broken.
  2. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Your account is just fine. The scrap bankbot might have run into an error with the website. I doubt it uses our API properly.
    Xel'Naga likes this.
  3. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    As Mattie said, the bot probably was using the API incorrectly, many bots will check your Steam ID 32/64 against Steamrep, as it is a SR offense to trade with marked scammers. It might be as a simple as they used to wrong ID. However, as can be seen on your Steamrep profile (which you can access by searching your Steam 32/64 ID or Custom URL on the homepage) that you have 'no special reputation', this is the usual for non scammers and non middlemen. It basically means that there is nothing negative to report.

The bot was incorrect, and you are correct, there are no problems. Don't worry however, SR is completely unaffiliated with Valve, so even if there 'was' a mistake (which there never will be) your actual account will bear no implications, Steamrep is exactly what it's name states, a reputation database, nothing more.

tl;dr: Bot is broken.
  4. vlees

vlees New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:18243575
    As pointed out to Blinkerz in Steam Chat:
    The API is implemented correctly, but when the server of SteamRep.com is overloaded the API page returns a full HTML page which it doesn't parse instead of returning a for a computer easily understandable message that the database is currently unreachable and it doesn't know whether it is a scammer or not. So a request to SteamRep.com: please change the API to reflect this and maybe document it. Before this happened I did not know you would get a HTML response (the same you get when you try to visit the frontpage) and now I'm just scanning for the word offline in the response text.
  5. jameless

jameless Guru Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19765576
    Eliminate www. from your URL request. This should resolve the trouble.
  6. vlees

vlees New User

Steam:
    Ok, thanks for the hint!
    But what is the reply in the API in the case the server is not available, so I can check on that?

EDIT: Checked the code. I already left the www. out ('http://steamrep.com/id2rep.php?steamID32='. $this->steamID32).
  7. vlees

vlees New User

Steam:
    Oh, I see the SourceMod plugin does put the www. in front of it.

So I'm doing that as well now.
  8. jameless

Steam:
    Out of curiosity, what site are you using this API on? We may be able to handle things differently. If you don't want to broadcast it, send me a PM.
  9. jameless

Steam:
    You will want to keep the www. out. In newer versions of the plugin the www. will be removed. But see my previous post so maybe we can figure out a different solution for you.
  10. vlees

vlees New User

Steam:
    I am using it for my ScrapBank Bot ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/ScrapBankBot ). It was trade banned briefly because it traded with a scammer. AFAIK it is whitelisted now in the database (to not be trade banned ever again by the automated system) after contacting Steam support but to prevent any troubles with it I decided to check the reputation of every trader on your site prior to accepting a trade. When it has a flag/warning/ban for anything the trade is denied and the user removed from the friendslist.
    Jailbait and SilentReaper(SR) like this.
  11. jameless

Steam:
    Ah kk. The page that the plugin uses, was designed for the plugin. As such, we didn't work up any documentation to how it operates. We knew people would use it for other purposes, and we are ok with that. But it was kind of an At Your Own Risk, kind of ordeal. We are working on a much better version of API intended for other items besides just the plugin. It's in beta now and we have a few people using it. Once we work out a few kinks, we will make it fully public.
  12. Jailbait

Jailbait New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:26285681
    Nice to see you're intergrating SR with your service.
    :)