1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Possible New SteamRep Feature;

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Mesh, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Mesh

Mesh New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:51231220
    This is obviously just a suggestion, and likely would take time to implement, or maybe even be impractical / impossible to do correctly, but could you add a feature where you report a fake gambling site as well as / the user who is using it to scam.

This would mean there would be another section for Fake Gambling Sites to see if it had a caution / warning tag, meaning:
    • if a scammer wanted to use this scam they would have to use a new domain as well as a new account, possibly decreasing the number of attempted scams using this method.
    • people could more easily check if a gambling site is legit and wouldn't accidentally stumble onto a fake site and start using it.
    If the domain for the site was dropped a picked up by a new owner who wanted to use the site in a legit way this could be shown in an appeal and the caution / warning tag could be removed.

However I don't know how practical the reports would be to address, and I wouldn't know about any possible legal issues etc or even how easy or long it would take to add the feature to the site.

Thanks for reading, feedback would be interesting.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    These fake sites are a dime a dozen....it costs the user very very little to get and create. SR has ZERO control over a domain, hosting of the domain and so on.
    Once a site gets "black listed" thru steam as in you can no longer type it out in chat - they put the name of it in their name, or shorten it and then they just make another for a few $$ which is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of funds they get from just scamming one user.
    These are all sad facts but nothing SR can do to stop them... the accounts involved "Deposit Bot's " and other accounts are usually throwaways too so they just make another account on Steam.. blame Valve for allowing anyone to make hundreds of accounts without any accountability.

My lone opinion on it would be that if you wish to make an account it MUST be linked to a valid phone # - and only one per. The signup would send a text message code to register it and again only one per.
    That is how I feel it should be - I could go on with suggestions to crack down on scamming from Valve's stand point but my most serious suggestion would garner alot of flack from sites that use many accounts to run their operations.
    Emunator likes this.
  3. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Disagree but Ill leave it at that.