1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Procedures leading to false taggings

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by T-Virus, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    That's great but you already do enough as it is and its those Comm servers/groups responsibility to maintain order for their own tags and to sign off on them - if you keep that responsibility in their hands the flinging of tags as I described may not be as easy thrown as they have in the past.

Remember a great leader knows how to delegate assignments.
  2. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    I am glad you take this matter seriously and thank you for being the first to respond to this request (i have asked about this a couple of times in different threads over the last couple months).

I agree with you HorseDick. But again, this should only be done for any tags that are passed to steamrep. If a community has their own rules for banning (including chat spamming etc) then we do not need to have those communities internally audit for those. However, any tags that get passed on to steamrep should most definitely be properly cataloged and audited internally (Helen, I don't know how you have time to do this with all you do, but you need to somehow delegate the responsibility to the owners of the community in which you put the trust to pass the tags to in the first place). If steamrep is going to honor the tag and pass it on to a game wide warning / filter / tag then it has to be done with following steamrep guidelines and rigorous process of approving such a tag and kept cataloged for future reasons and audits (there should never be an excuse of "oh well i know they are appealing a year after the crime, so we didn't keep the history of it and don't have the old proof anymore).

Just my 2 cents but I have no say in how steamrep runs the show. However it would be nice to see this style or similar a process implemented if not yet.
  3. T-Virus

T-Virus Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:20848740
    A TF2OP admin suspiciously had his SR tags removed. I was told the admin did a trade with a marked scammer and did not check the user on steamrep who was definitely marked at the time. He is still not tagged on steamrep either and the reason I was told why his tag was removed was "its temporary". Their seems to be an obvious bias when SR admins are dealing with friends who are also community admins who get into trouble.

I actually did a check on the user who I traded with and did not find him to be a scammer but admittedly fishy and ended up with a caution tag over it. What is going on here? An explanation would be nice not just to me but the entire TF2 trade community has a right to know what SR is up to.
  4. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    I do not think there is any great mystery involved.

SR does not hand out a caution tag if any individual has traded unknowingly with a scammer, especially if a first offense. normally a friendly warning is issued. As I understand it, a caution is normally only given if there is evidence of repeated dealings with tagged players.

I can bear witness to the fact that this is the way things generally work in practice, in all my dealing with Helen, Mattie and the rest of SR, I can say when I have reported people for suspect dealings, they generally look at the player, look at the context, consider any factual information on hand, and act accordingly. At least in my experience I have found SR to be very mindful of the implications of a tag, and do not tag someone without being confidence a tag is warranted.

I have seen many people who traded with a marked player, or traded for an item of dubious origin, who merely received a warning, and I have seen players who have histories of dealing with scumbags in the belief they are untouchable, finally get a tag.

I am not SR of course, but from my perspective, they adhere to their rules and guidelines while maintaining a degree of common sense and fair dealing.
    Dronefly likes this.
  5. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Hey venganza, remember that post you made when he was marked?
    no bias at all here.
  6. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    It's the entire TF2-T community which has a bias against T-Virus. I was doing a little investigating for T-Virus. I went onto the server via a private alt and heard with my own ears from Anti-Protest that T-virus is "a b✿✿✿✿/f$@got ( I can't remember which term it was) who has been butthurt since we banned him out of here months ago." Then Anti proceeded to s✿✿✿ talk T-Virus about how he trades with scammers and is already a marked scammer, which obviously isn't true.

Another TF2-T admin, EFF, as a follow up declared that he knows for a fact T-Virus is trading with multiple scammer and that scammers hate him and are going to give proof (which appears to be non existant) that he is trading with them...

In further investigation, I have been told by an entirely unrelated party, that apparently this admin, EFF also was offering a Big Kill to whomever could dig up dirt on T-Virus. Whether or not this is true I cannot confirm, but 2 different sources verified it when I asked them about the TF2-T specific bias against T-Virus.

It's just a fact that the ENTIRE tf2-t community doesn't like T-Virus
  7. T-Virus

Steam:
    Still no answer
  8. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    ehm

Dronefly likes this.
  9. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    Venganza is not a part of steamREP. I think T-Virus is looking for a response from a Steam Rep admin. One who can also address the following issue... T-Virus wants to know why he can spend time, determining if an account is a scammer alt, finding the account to be safe (only later to realize he was wrong) and get a caution tag, while a TF2OP admin can freely trade with a marked scammer for paypal (even if the admin didn't know the guy was marked, neither did T-Virus) and freely avoid any sort of tag.
  10. T-Virus

Steam:
    Yes and the fact that ~

~ Venganza's rant was biased to begin with and the fact that he lied multiple times on this thread is surprising to say the least when he is supposed to act professional.
  11. jameless

jameless Guru Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19765576
    Hey there. Please let me respond to this. I'm sorry I couldn't get to all of this sooner but since I wasn't fully up to speed on your case, I wanted to fully read through the history before speaking anything.

Let me start out by stating, we try our very best to uphold a level of integrity around SteamRep to prevent any type of mishandling of reports or appeals. We audit many things to make sure that no one is going rogue, playing favoritism, or leaning on vendettas.

I took a look at both cases you have referenced here, your case and that of 'a TF2OP admin'. The latter is still an open case that is being investigated and as such the details will not be discussed until a decision has been made. However, I assure you, we don't take the situation trivially.

As for your case, please link me to a proper appeal made by you for the CAUTION tag so that I might handle things for you. As long as you make it with the proper format, I will be able to work with you swiftly in an attempt to ensure proper justice. In reviewing the actions that were made in your tag, they appear to be of proper procedure, but that doesn't mean that an appeal cannot be granted. I would like to discuss things with you over steam chat as well if you can add me.

I await the link to your appeal and the add on steam.
  12. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34050552
    Here you go!
  13. jameless

jameless Guru Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19765576
  14. T-Virus

Steam:
    Just want to give a big THANKS to Jameless.
  15. KoT/Parasite

KoT/Parasite New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:34008359
    Hi all, i'm partly agree with T-Virus. I seen that 3 admins was trading with scammers, 1 is already tagged(Rob)
    How can admin of resource can contradict the resource politic and rules, it tooks me a half of year or tho to get man who bring me mine tag(for trading with scammers), to Rob,
    he even was buying items from hijackers like Guru meditator\WenJersey, and i had a proof of that untill i reinstalled my winodws to remove worms like keyloggers.And i perfectly know that some admins was sharking eg Rob with his headcases.Ofc u can say that " u is scammer, gtfo, noone will hear u vote" and i will agree with that, but im doing the traders with all, who are not real scammers(like paypal scmms or hijacking or just a scamm on unusual) As i already have got tag for over a year, i would say to T-Virus that if he will be tagged or smth like this, dont give a f✿✿✿! dont care, all that year i was trading normally without any sites like tf2op tf2tp sop, any trade srvers , and im still succesfull, i even done some trades with admins on SR(not directly sr admins, just like gov, mct , utc and etc..)
    Thanks for reading and seeing my point of view
  16. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198009590775-sr-caution.19884/

J O N, a TF2Outpost admin was recently given a caution tag. Almost immediately after his appeal post (within 3 hours) his appeal was granted by Mattie.

Why is it that admins are allowed to be shown favoritism when it comes to things like appeals. There are users who have been waiting for 4 months now, without getting their appeal taken or looked at, yet JON gets his appeal on the same day.

If this isn't favoritism, I don't know what is. Shouldn't admins have to wait through the same time frame everyone else does? JON is the admin of an SR affiliated community and he was given an appeal ahead of everyone else... This is just another piece of evidence that *in my eyes* shows SteamREP and it's affiliates are not so distinguishable. http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198025289277-the-great-and-tasty-sr-scammer.14130/ a former TF2-T admin has been waiting for his appeal for 2 months, being a TF2-T admin hasn't helped him get his appeal taken, but I'm sure if he had been an Outpost or MCT admin his appeal would have already been taken.
    SudasGalva likes this.
  17. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    There is a big difference between buying once to a scammer and buying usually to scammers...you know what I mean
    And also faking hijack to get duped items is not a good way for trading.
  18. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    SURE it is! We can all be like OG! 5000 vintage buds for everyone!
  19. KoT/Parasite

KoT/Parasite New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:34008359
    Rob done like thousands of trade with scammers, and about fake hijacking, nah, i neever done anything like that, i even determinates my hijacker, he still have got my burning tc ._.
  20. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    I just have sources about your case and about what you were ready to do with help of other people enough experienced in hacking.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.