1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Question about 'chargebacking'

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by D2Girls, May 30, 2012.

1. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17721741
    I have a question about chargebacking, and the timeframes or so people say that you can actually 'chageback'.

I was always under the impression that there never was a spefific time frame that one is able to charge back... for example if someone used my credit card 5 months ago without my knowledge, I could still cancel that payment.

But what is the policy with paypal and credit cards and chargebacking? Is it 45 days or 2 months or 3 months that I see being tossed around?
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
  3. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
  4. Jmcmλtrix

Jmcmλtrix New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:5412928
    a PayPal chargeback in 90 days.
    a Bank chargeback is 45 days.

well, my bank anyway.
  5. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    That is just it... I'm not a genius and you are asking the wrong people. That is a clear link to paypal's policy on chargebacks... If you wish to get more information the best option is the source of the policy and that being paypal themselves.
  6. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    so you're saying you cannot file a chargeback after 90 days of doing a transaction with paypal
    and 45 days with the bank?
    what about with credit cards? does that also tie in with paypal transactions?

lets say this is the situation:

i want to buy a 1000 dollars worth of promos, or a god tier hat for someone, lets say. obviously since that is such a huge transaction, they want to be assured that i wouldnt charge back them.
    now the only way they can really trust me is if i've already done a huge ass transaction already, but if i've done that transaction well before the timeframe for a chargeback.

i cant find any info on the paypal site regarding time frames with chargebacks.
  7. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    If I had to guess based on what I've seen I'd say also 90days but it depends on the bank and the source of the funds which can alter this but as I said Paypal would likely be the best alternative for this sorta information.
  8. Jmcmλtrix

Jmcmλtrix New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:5412928
    With my PayPal, I cannot chargeback after 90 days.
    With my Bank, I cannot chargeback after 45 days

My paypal, my Bank. not any one elses, it varies with banks I assume.
  9. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Reading this:
    https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/chargeback_guide

It very well could be all based on the source of the funds The quick over view of the process shows some steps but it could take days/weeks between each step. We all know how fast the banking world works. I do know that paypal has a 45day limit to even file a claim so lets start at 45days and go from there.

Another post right from a google search:
  10. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    I just called paypal. turns out with paypal its 45 days and its not even possible to charge back with gift payments which is what most people ask you to do.
    but the real issue here is the credit card company and chagebacking, and lets be honest, most people who chargeback or use paypal use credit cards.

so really, no 'rep' is safe unless its 120 days. my credit card company has a 120 day policy. it could be even more according to horsedick.
    so i guess what to take from this is no 'rep' is safe unless its 6 months old lol
  11. polyvore

polyvore Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41853675
    I haven't heard anything verified longer than 90 days - what CC company do you have?

The thing with chargebacks is that the account gets shut down immediately, since it's a fraudulent claims thing. This is unlikely to be drawn out over an extended period of time
  12. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    Just curious, what is the reasoning for this line of questioning. Perhaps if you clarify the situation better then the imaginary $1000 rare god tier unusual scenario (which i see 100 ref flags pop up in front of my eyes with that example) we can help you. What are you trying to accomplish. If it is regarding trading in the community, you need to build rep or have at least xxx months with xxx hours gaming experience with xxx number of purchased games on the account to get "trust" from people (xxx depends on the person and varies from trader to trader). otherwise give exact (or almost exact) reason and scenario to better help you get to the real answer you're after. So far all this chit chat is just you digging into something that people have answered 20 times over.