1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Question about reporting someone who tells you he has keys/items on another account

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Resurgence, May 26, 2013.

1. Resurgence

Resurgence New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50959492
    I recently got a tournament item drop in Dota 2. One person adds me and said he wants to trade the said item for items/keys. I had a look at his inventory but there were only a few items/treasure chests there; no keys. I told him that I did not want any of his items but he said that some of his items were on another account. I decided to steer away from him as that does not seem right. Does this warrant a report or to just avoid somebody who says that line?
  2. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Well some people do have multiple accounts for storage, nothing illegal about this. However as you say, it can be suspicious.

Really for something to be reportable (and perhaps receive a tag), there needs to be evidence a scam occurred or was attempted, and it this case that doesn't appear to be the case.

Many users report players and activity they feel are suspicious or likely to be scamming, even where no evidence is available, and I am sure such reports are useful for Staff over time as searches can indicate pattens of behaviour. Personally I would report anything which could warn the community about suspicious activity, even if strong evidence is not available, having said that, posting on SR where there is no real case at all to be made is perhaps not a good idea. SR Staff have enough to do without wading through reports which could be vexatious or baseless.
  3. Resurgence

Resurgence New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50959492
    Thank you for the feedback! :)
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

hmm, ppl indeed have alts, but I always wonder, why talk with the alts when the main account has the items?

Especially if, like you say, the account you had contact with has no items, or barely a few. Why would one use that throwaway account to talk to you. I would have asked right away which account that was.

At the very least its shady, any trustworthy trader only negates with their main account, and use the alts either to storage, and move items to the main before or during talks. There is no sense in having a main account, and not have a load of items on them for ease of access and easy trading. Hell, even I keep a number of stuff on my main account to not have to go thru the hassle to get them from a alt. Sure, if you have 200 keys, you might want to stowaway say 150 or w/e on a alt so the backpack isn't flooded. but a few are there most often anyways.
  5. Mrs TS

Mrs TS New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:29411941
    Data, if I might , I would like to add to this.

I trade quite often. Like you, I keep X amount of keys, bills, and other high priced tradables on my account so I always have them on hand.

However, lately I have noticed that people will scan my backpack before they contact me, knowing exactly what I have so that they can purposely ask a higher amount....adding to the conversation "I see you can clearly afford it"

So while yes, I would definitely have advised to steer clear of someone with a virtually empty backpack, there are valid reasons to keep a lot of your extra currencies on an alt.

Just thought I would throw out a slightly differing of opinion. ;)
  6. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

A Billionaire walks into a bar, he orders a beer, the bartender taps him a beer, and says "That will be 3000,- dollar. You clearly can afford it.". Billionaire says "Sure, send the bill to my lawyer, he'll keeps getting you dragged in court, till you're bankrupt."

There is a name for that, that a argument to a point is NOT related to the actual point, but a false pretense, I forgot the term for it. Learn learn to discern actual facts to a point from the false ones, and your strategy in negotiations is way better.

I don't give a f*** what somebody else says about "my" wealth in my backpack for the price for a item I'm negating. It has nothing to do with it, and they can go f*** themselves. For them 10 others. You know what valid arguments are to get price down? For instance, somebody I used to deal with all the time, gave him all my extra hats etc for a discount, one day he comes to me with a hat I didn't have yet, and asks like 120% for it. I told him that I've been trading under price for a long time with him, and that I expected the same courtesy. He never did that again, even gave me hats free after that. And on occasion we still trade.

Trade negotiations is about:
    - Buyer's want for the item, who has a max price for it in his head.
    - Seller needing a price for it.
    - The actual worth of it around
    - and history between buyer and seller.

thats it. doesn't matter if I would have 1.000 unusuals, I'd still pay 1-1.33 ref for a craft hat max.
    VenGanZa likes this.