1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Question about reporting trade scammers

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Apollo, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Apollo

Apollo New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:26646875
    I was involved in a trade scam that included EM from the SourceOP Middleman group. Long story short, it was a surprise to me to find out they are now trade banned. Does going through the reporting process help to get any items back or is it just to get someone banned? She is already banned so unless I need to add my report to it I won't waste the time filling it out. If there is a chance for item recovery I would like to go through whatever process I need to. Thanks!
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    item recovery is nowadays only in case of hijacks (first of such only).
  3. Apollo

Apollo New User

Steam:
    Sorry, I'm a little new to this. What is a hijack?
  4. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    Hijacking is when someone steals your account.
  5. Apollo

Apollo New User

Steam:
    Gotcha, thanks for the help!
  6. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Note that here at SteamRep we're just unofficial volunteers that have no ability to return items in any case. The responses above are referring to Valve and Steam Support's typical behavior. Sometimes they return items for hijacks, but for scams they do not.

Yet if you have evidence I do recommend you report what happened. It may help prevent someone else from being scammed in the future, or it could be useful for putting together a history for appeal denial purposes.
    Clive likes this.