1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Question about Valve's trade bans

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Samin, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Samin

Samin New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:40269684
    I was wondering, since Valve can trade ban for either scamming or buying a scammed hat, shouldn't SteamRep change their policy to not automatically mark anyone with a trade ban as a scammer? Or mark them as a scammer at first, and if they provide proof that the ban was for buying from a scammer, it gets reduced to a caution. If they do not supply the proof within a specified amount of time, they remain marked as a scammer. Anyways this just crossed my mind, and I was hoping to get some opinions on it. Thanks in advance.

-Samin
  2. Starburst

Starburst New User

Valve requested that their trade bans be treated as scammer tags. The system is automated and the tags are removed when the ban is removed.
  3. Samin

Samin New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:40269684
    I thought SteamRep wasn't associated with Valve.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    That is a different concept. By not being "associated" with valve, that means we are no part of valve, or that valve has any say in how we run things. That doesn't mean that we don't have communications with Valve.

What starburst is telling, is that valve decides upon: Trade Ban, Trade Probation, Trade lock and other measures on accounts. We graded the "Trade Ban" status to be a "scammer" tag, the "Trade Probation" a Caution tag and the "Trade Lock" is a temporarly measure pending investigation by valve, which we dont mark in "scammer" or "caution" for. This status is automatically detected from the offender's steam account on steam, and applied. We do not do any manual handling on that.
    There may however be reports on such accounts where other scammer tags may be applied to such accounts, but that is independent.