1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

question

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by [TheWR] Outlaw, Aug 25, 2012.

1. [TheWR] Outlaw

[TheWR] Outlaw New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:31401445
    good day
    I recently exchanged with a friend
    I gave him the game just cause 2, he gave me Unusual Blighted Beak
    I sold the hat
    a few hours later I found out that it was a stolen hat.
    I do not want to hurt my reputation
    What do I do?
    Forgive me for my bad English
    Безымянный.jpg
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

can you provide his profile link plox, in the trade history, click on his name.
  3. [TheWR] Outlaw

[TheWR] Outlaw New User

Steam:
  4. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Outlaw, you bought the hat in good faith without knowing it was stolen, and you have the integrity to query what you should do here. Your reputation cannot suffer based on these facts, indeed it increases by your actions. People who knowingly deal with scammers may receive "caution" tags (and full tags if they persist), this does not apply to you at all in this instance naturally.

Hopefully Helen or someone can look into this gentleman and his network of friends for any evidence of wider activity, remember every little tidbit of information, even material which cannot directly lead to action is all meaningful and helpful in the broad scheme of things :)

As to what you should do, well that is not for me to say. Someone obviously lost a hat from what you are saying, and thus are out of pocket, however you purchased in good faith. Personally I have a solution in such cases that accords with my ethical standpoint, however what I might consider the right thing to do is not something I will force on others.

* Your English is fine incidentally.
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

6. [TheWR] Outlaw

[TheWR] Outlaw New User

Steam:
    good day
    Thank you very much for your answers
    I have never encountered such situations
    And very much afraid that my reputation will suffer after this
    Once again, thank you very much
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

This happens regularly, scammers use alt accounts to "sell" their accounts and make profit of them. This is the reason why we instated the "traded with scammer" rules.

Best is to avoid "sketchy" accounts that have:
    - a Scammer mark on SR.
    - almost no known paid games (remember, there are like 30 F2P games, dont be fooled by those). Just go by your knowledge of paid games.
    - near no playing hours (check all games)
    - have no anciënity (age of the account)
    - no public profile/backpack (private/friendsonly)
    - no comments or only comments from like last week. Comments should have been spaced out over the age of the account. Any rep on the comments is void, not worth anything.
    - near no friends.
    - a factor is also looking if they have scammers in their Friend list.
    - look at membership of groups.
    - no reputation thread(s) anywhere, like UTC, SOP, usage of TF2OP, TF2TP or other places.
    - if trading on a server, check if the SR plugin is active on it. If not, high probability that they get a lot of scammers on there, for most "good" servers have the SR plugin by now.
    [WP] VenGanZa likes this.
  8. [TheWR] Outlaw

[TheWR] Outlaw New User

Steam:
    Thank you for the information